Sunday, May 17, 2015

Judy’s Café


"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." 
~ Fscott Ffitzgerald, The Fgreat Fgatsby 



(No official web-site.)


Place: Judy's Café
Location: 2268 Chestnut Street (between Avila and Scott Streets); phonicular contact: (415) 922-4588
Hours: open every day of the week at 7:30am
Meal: Artichoke Omelette ~ artichoke hearts, mushrooms, ham, tomatoes, and Cheddar and  Parmesan cheeses, with a choice of Homemade Pumpkin (mini-)Loaf, Blueberry muffin, English muffin, or 9-grain wheat toast; a large glass of orange juice; and, beforehand, a cuppa Peet's Coffee & Tea® Uzuri African Blend®

http://www.peets.com/coffee/by-roast/dark/uzuri-african-blend.html





(The reason for today's jazzy EweToobular juxtaselctions are simply because there were photos of both Tony Bennett ~ a few actually ~ and Diana Krall on the walls of the restaurant, along with many other Hollywoodland celebrities photos.)


It's always important to have a back-up plan, and luckily there are a few options nearby on Chestnut Street. I was planning on going to Ristobar for breakfast this morning. They are supposed to open for "Brunch" at 10:00am; however, when I stopped by at around 10:10am, they were just starting to set up for the morning, and I was told by one of the workers that they probably wouldn't be opening until 11:00am. Really?! Next time… maybe. Luckily, Judy's Café (see last 'blog-entry from August 16th, 2014) is just along the next block, so I backtracked and went there once again.

My meal this morning was off the specials board (well, specials "ovals" that they display in the front window). Even so, there are always several other good options off the printed menu. I was also thinking about getting either Huevo Grande (two scrambled eggs covered with melted Jack and Cheddar cheeses on a flour tortilla, topped with salsa and sour cream, served with homefried potatoes) or Potatoes Etc. (homefried potatoes, mushroom, onion, topped with melted Jack and Cheddar cheeses with Italian or chicken apple sausage, ham, or ground chuck).




The way they make their omelettes always amuses me (I am easily amused apparently). They make these not as a typical folded-over and stuffed dealy, but as a kind of top hat omelette where the scrambled eggs are sitting on a bed of the ingredients (I could probably do that at home… well, I could, but I doubt that I ever will). I like that the artichoke hearts were the brined (not marinated) kind, which I always find much better in an omelette; but I do like the marinated kind in a salad for extra flavour. Of course, I ordered this senza le parti in decomposizione del maiale morto, Signore Benedetto. 

For my side bread choice, I went with their Homemade Pumpkin (mini-)Loaf once again. Now really, who would choose plain ol' toast or Mr. Thomas' crummy ol' nooks and cranny-laden faux crumpets when you can get a fresh-baked good instead?!

For condimentary supplements, Judy's Café offers both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I had brought some of my own The Wiltshire Chilli Farm Hell Mouth and Mango hot chilli sauce (Thanks for both, Greg & Cindy!) and used a little of both on different areas of the scrambled egg top hat.

The cuppa Coffee at Peet's Coffee & Tea® was actually a freebie because I bought a pound of their Limited Edition Anniversary Blend 2015. Let it be noted that they have been roasting Coffee since 1966 now, and, yes, that predates that poser Coffee company from Seattle by a full year; let it also be flavour-noted: "full-bodied and intriguingly savory with bright, exotic layers of tropical fruits."

http://www.peets.com/coffee/featured-coffee/anniversary-2015/anniversary-blend-coffee.html

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

I saw and heard several of the noisy little chatterboxes over by the Chestnut Street Gate at the Presidio after breakfast when I went for a stroll by the little duck pond (where I saw ten little ducklings, several adult Mallards, and three Geeses, too) in the corner nearby the Lucasfilm building. The actual name of the duck pond is Letterman Digital Arts Center Recycled Water Pond at Lucas, but that is too hard to remember or say.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Artichoke Omelette ~ 6.6; Homemade Pumpkin (mini-)Loaf ~ 6.9; Peet's Coffee & Tea® Uzuri African Blend® ~ 7.1; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.2

No comments:

Post a Comment