Saturday, May 23, 2015

Triptych


"The World isn't an illusion after all; it only seems that way." ~ Peter De Vries



http://www.triptychsf.com/


Place: TripTych[1]
Location: 1155 Folsom Street (between 7th and 8th Streets)
Hours: open for "Brunch" Saturday and Sunday at 9:00am
Meal: Garden Omelet ~ mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, spinach, and avocado cream sauce, served with roasted potatoes; and a cuppa (and one-and-a-half refillas) of whatever the house Coffee was (I asked and was told it was a local "San Francisco" roastery; so I just figured it was some place called "San Francisco Roasting Company" or such; however, a quick web-search didn't really locate anything by that specific name)





(Does today's first EweToobular juxtaselction really need any explanation? The second one is because the members of Tryptich [sic] are also members of the band Wild Colonials. I rather like this cover of the Grateful Dead's song better than the original version.)


Okay, I will admit that I am a little disappointed that this restaurant wasn't actually located at 333 Folsom Street (or 333 Any Street). That aside, I decided to go to TripTych for breakfast (which they call "Brunch", even though they open up early enough for my liking). I just had lunch there three weeks back when I was in the area stuck pulling Jury Duty. I really liked what I had for lunch that day and noticed that they did an interesting looking weekend "Brunch" menu, too, so I figured I would get back again for the early morning meal.

It is a medium-sized joint with seating of: eight tables for two, four tables for four, two tables for six, and six seats at the bar/counter. Additionally, there is a decent size, cool backyard garden seating area with three tables for two, two tables for four, and two tables for six (I was the only idiot there this morning when they had first opened and decided it was best to just stay indoors ~ besides, the weather was still a bit overcast and chilly).

Even though they call it "Brunch", their breakfast menu has several good ideas from which to choose. A few of the other selections that I was looking at were: Frittata Blanc[2] (egg whites, mushrooms, roasted tomato and onions, spinach, & avocado cream; now, this wasn't really that different from what I did order, but it sounded very good, too); Croque Madame (baked open-face foccacia, alpine cheese, fried egg, smoked Black Forest ham, Dijon cream; of course, I would have ordered that ohne die totes, verfallenden Schwein Zeug); or Spinach & Mushroom Benedict (they don't list what the ingredients are for this one on their menu). 

They also have a section listed as Non-Traditional "Brunch" Entrées (okay, I added the quotation marks on "Brunch", but still). All three items sounded very good, too: Sweet Savory Ravioli (shitake mushroom [sic] [3] ravioli, sweet chilli mango sauce, coconut milk); Vegan Spring Vegetable Tagine (Vegan dish, tofu, chickpeas, spinach, tahini and pita); or Quinoa and Tofu (Vegan dish, mushrooms, winter squash, red bell pepper, & tahini garnish; "Whether you are Vegan or not, this is one of our house favorites").

Also, their Beignets (N'Arlins style pastry with seasonal berry cream) looked really good as a starter. Next time.




First off, I would really like to commend them for using the nomenclature of "Garden Omelet" and not the overtly odious "Veggie Omelet" that is ubiquitously seen everywhere these days. The vegetables inside the omelette were roasted, which is always a plus. However, there was no eggplant in this, but there were summer squash and red peppers in place of that one ingredient, so it all was good with me. While eating this, I had forgotten exactly what the sauce on top was supposed to be (I was trying to discern if it was some kinda Hollandaise sauce), but it was pretty tasty all the same and did have the texture/consistency/viscosity of a Hollandaise sauce, anyway.

TripTych offered for condimentary supplementation both Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce and Floyd & Fred’s HotLime Extra Hot . I used the Extra Hot liberally all over the potatoes; this wasn't really as hot as you might expect (well, not since the advent of Bhut/Naga Jolokia/Ghost Chillies, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chillies, and Carolina Reaper Chillies, at least). Just for the heck of it, I also put a few dashes into my glass of water (Hey, water and lime go good together! Actually, I can see using a few dashes of this stuff in a Mojito for an extra-added kick). I also used some of my own The Wiltshire Chilli Farm 
Hell Mouth (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of the omelette to mix in with the avocado cream sauce stuff (another reason that I really couldn't figure out why the "Hollandaise sauce" didn't exactly taste like Hollandaise sauce).

http://www.hotlime.com/home.htm

minor landmark interlude

For anyone paying attention (other than myself that is), today's 'blog-entry happens to be #600 since I started doing these back in March 2010. 

I never really asked why the place was named TripTych, but I will surely be going back again someday and will try to remember to ask then.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Garden Omelet ~ 6.6


________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, νούμερο ένα:

"Triptych" comes from the Greek adjective "τρίπτυχον (triptychon)", meaning "three-fold". This comes from the words "τρία (tria)" ("three") and "πτύσσω (ptysso)" ("to fold"). Simples!

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, numero due/numéro deux:

I don't quite know why they would mix up the Italian word "Frittata" (meaning "Frittata") and use the French adjective "Blanc" for "white". As best as I can tell, the correct phrase in Italian should have been "Frittata Bianco".

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, 数 三:

I have commented on this mispelink and misconception before. The correct spelling should be "shiitake" and it already means "oakwood mushroom" in Japanese. So it's just a superfluous redundancy to say "shiitake mushroom" mushrooms and is basically repeating itself again again.

No comments:

Post a Comment