Saturday, June 13, 2015

Dottie’s True blue café


"Jack the Ripper… cut quite a figure in his day." ~ Groucho Marx



(No official web-site any longer.)


Place: Dottie's True blue café 
Location: 28 Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street, which is a little alley about halfway between Market and Mission Streets); 
phonicular contact: (415) 885-2767
Hours: open for breakfast Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Spinach Provolone[1] Strata[2] ~ served with Italian sausage, roasted tomatoes, and fruit; a side of homefried potatoes; and a large glass of grapefruit juice





(There really are no EweToobular juxtaselections with today's songs and destination; however, if you have ever been to that neighborhood, the second video probably rings a very loud bell. I just like the harmonica Blues styling of Jazz Gillum ~ plus, that is an electric guitar being used way back in 1938.)


It would be completely verose[3] of me to do a month of redo's without going back at least once to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from April 4th, 2015). I was second in line this morning as I had gotten there very early to beat the crowd, but, as it turned out, the restaurant was initially only half-full (well, that is an optimistic estimate) with the first wave of people, anyway. It did fill up pretty quickly before I had finished eating and there was the typical line out the door and around the corner when I was leaving the place.

Dottie's True blue café always has many other great ideas for breakfast (for both stupid vegetarians and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh). Some of today's choices (from the weekly specials chalkboard and their standard menu): Raspberry Preserve (sic) & Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast; Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes; Avocado, Tomato, Jalapeño, Corn, Scallion, & Feta Frittata (served with toast & potatoes; I probably would have ordered that one, but they didn't specify exactly what was in it); or, the ultimate in verocination, Zucchini Cakes (topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara sauce, served with fruit & potatoes; probably one of my All-Time Favourites of All-Time at Dottie's True blue café).




As best as I can tell, a Strata is kinda like a savoury bread pudding thing. This was a huge slice/chunk and it was additionally grilled on two sides. I have also had different versions (different ingredients) at Dottie's True blue café in the past. Of course, I nixed the Italian sausage stuff (if it ain't authentic chouriço português, I don't want none of that junk!). The roasted tomatoes appeared to be of the Roma variety and they really added a nice bit of charred sweetness to the whole mess (Sorry, Greg.).

Today's side o' fruits was: watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, pineapple, white (green, whatever) grapes, and one red grape.

It is well known (well, to me and the few people that I have brought with me there and might actually read this stupid li'l 'blog-thing) that Dottie's True blue café offers a very decent selection of condimentary supplementation. This is always a big help so that I don't have to bother schlepping any of my own hot sauces with me. I used a little (well, a lot really; this stuff isn't really that hot and I can pour it like ketchup without any adverse effects) Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce Chipotle on the potatoes and a little Frank's® RedHot® Chile 'n Lime Hot Sauce on the Strata

Anyone not enjoying an early morning breakfastary repast at Dottie's True blue café would be extremely suspect in their verosability.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spinach Provolone Strata ~ 6.7


________________

1. Just in case anyone has never heard of this popular formaggio italiano (Wild Bill Gates and his Spell-checkering Nazis at Microsoft, in their eminent verocity, have been known to question several other common Italian cheeses in the past):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provolone

2. "Strata" is the plural of the Latin word "stratum", meaning "layers/layer". How this all applies in a culinaristic sense, I am not really sure. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strata_(food)

3. There is no such word as "verose", nor any of the other words that I have used here today with it as its root. This was just a made-up word that either an old high school friend (Hey, Philboyd!) came up with or I did. He mentioned it the other day on defacedbook, but I had completely misremembered ever using it. 

He said that I actually invented this word, but I highly doubt I was ever that original. More than likely, his superior intellect originated this word (no way do I want to ever take any credit for making up any words). I don't think we even ever assigned an actual meaning to the word, we just used to use it to confuse other people into thinking we were more intelligent than we really were.

Of course, we completely stole the idea for making-up words from an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus where someone panicked and used the made-up word "splunge", which basically meant: "It doesn't mean 'yes'. It doesn't mean 'no'. And I am not being indecisive."

No comments:

Post a Comment