Sunday, June 14, 2015

Breakers


A (redo) breakfastary roadtrip:
Rockaway Beach, Pacifica, CA



http://ilovebreakers.com/


Place: Breakers
Location: 145 Rockaway Beach Avenue, Pacifica
Hours: open 7:00am every day! (They actually added the exclamation point, not me.)
Meal: Roasted Eggplant Crepe (sic, they do not use the little circumflex hat-thingy on the first "ê" in "Crêpe" on their menu) ~ red peppers, glazed onions (Do you know how to glaze onions? Just tell them really awful corn-ball jokes until they can't take it any longer.), Portabella mushrooms, garlic, Jack cheese, Marinara sauce, sour cream & chives, served with hashbrowns & marinated salad; and a potta/pitchera/thermosa Peerless Coffee & Tea® Organic 80th Anniversary Italian Roast Blend

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/product/all-coffee/organic-80th-anniversary-italian-roast-blend/





(I never need an excuse for a little George Ivan on a Sunday morning. 

I am pretty sure that I have posted different versions of both of these songs in the past ~ and in the case of "Into The Mystic", numerous times before. I just came across this live concert of his at Winterland Ballroom[1] in San Francisco the other day and really liked it.

And there is never anything verose about a little George Ivan in the morning, daytime, or evening.

Turn up your EweToob… so you know it's got Soul!)


I surfed on down California State Route 1 (aka "Highway 1" to most of you people) to Breakers (see last 'blog-entry from August 24th, 2014) for breakfast again this morning. This is one of the only places around ("around" being "around Rockaway Beach" and "around Pacifica" in general) that is open early enough and will usually attract most of the early-morning tourista business from the surrounding hotels and motels on Rockaway Beach. I got there around 8:00am this morning and had no problem being seated right away; however, it filled up quickly while I was there. There was a great view of the Pacific Ocean (hence the name of the town of Pacifica) from my seat in the corner of the restaurant this morning; even though it was still a little overcast and gloomy out.

Breakers really does have a pretty decent breakfast menu from which to choose; they offer a nice selection of 3 Egg Omelets, Three Egg Scrambles, Frittatas, Pancakes, French Toast, Belgian Waffles, and Crepes. Some of the other dishes that looked good to me this morning were: Feta Omelet (roasted red peppers, spinach, & Feta cheese, topped with black olives & red onions; I probably would have definitely gone with that one IF the black olives were of the Kalamata variety, but I knew from my last visit that they were just the plain ol' boring canned type); Veggie Frittata (mushrooms, onions, the vile weed, celery, zucchini, diced tomatoes, & Combo cheese; I am not sure what part of Italy "Combo" cheese comes from, though; for some reason, when I asked my waitress-server-lady, she said she'd get back to me on that and ended up avoiding me for the rest of the meal); Islander French Toast (topped with strawberries, bananas, & blueberries[2]; they don't specify which "Island" that is from, though); or Garden Crepe (avocado, spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, Jack cheese, tomatoes, sour cream & chives ~ but, thankfully, none of the vile weed).




If you are like me and are un amante melanzane e fungi, you will really like this one (Sorry, Skip!) as there was a great amount (and in large chunks) of both the eggplant (which is a botanical berry, remember?) and the Portabella (or Portobello or Portabello, take your pick). Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot. They forgot the sour cream & chives, but it really didn't need any of that and I probably enjoyed it more for the omission.

I am generally not a big fan of these "side salads" that usually come with crêpes; just give me more of the good potato-stuff and leave all that green for the rabbits. However, this one was actually pretty good and I ended up eating most of it for a change. It had nice bite-sized/diced pieces of cucumber, tomato, celery, and zucchini in it (along with the requisite boring lettuce junk); and the dressing was really very light and not overpowering.

The Coffee is a great deal. For the price of a standard cuppa at most places, they leave an entire thermos/pitcher/pot-thing (à la IHOP®, just with much better Coffee). I probably had at least two-and-a-half to three cuppas while I was there.

For condimentary supplements, Breakers has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Cholula® Hot Sauc), and The Pepper Plant® Original California Style Hot Pepper Sauce. I used some from my own collection and went with lots of Fat Cat Strawberry Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes and some Marie Sharp's Grapefruit Pulp Habanero Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the crêpe. The Marie Sharp's is the newest hot sauce to my collection (I just received it this week); I am pretty sure that I have had this one before, though. It has a nice balance of grapefruit and habanero flavour. Plus, this was a small (sample) bottle and it fits nicely into my Tabasco® holster.

http://www.thepepperplant.com/

http://www.mariesharps-bz.com/

Once again, they completely stiffed me on the crayons and kids colouring menu; I made sure to vociferate my dissatisfaction to the owner-manager-person on my way out. Even so, that overlookance didn't influence my tip or Glen Bacon Scale Rating in any way.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Roasted Eggplant Crepe ~ 6.5


________________

1. Unfortunately, I never got to see any live music played there. Winterland Ballroom closed way back on New Year's 1978 going into 1979; the Grateful Dead were the last group to play there. Some guy named Bruce Springfield and his Band of E-Streeters also played there a few weeks before it closed, too. It is also probably best known as the place where the Band played "The Last Waltz".

2. Okay, here's a pop culinaristic trivia quiz to see how many (how few?) of you readers out there are really paying attention (or not):

Which of those "Island" fruits is/are actual botanical berries?

That would be, of course, just the bananas and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment