Saturday, June 27, 2015

Cafe Mason





http://m.mainstreethub.com/cafemason#

(This is not the best of official web-sites, but you get the basic idea.)


Place: Cafe Mason
Location: 320 Mason Street (between Geary and O'Farrell Streets)
Hours: open 24 hours, every day of the week
Meal: Swêdîsh Pâncâkês (sweet crepe [sic, I just figured that if they don't use the correct accent circumflex on "crêpe", I will include it elsewhere]) ~ homemade stewed blueberry and apple fillings in crepes [sic, still] topped with crème fraise [sic, also], served with fruit; a side of homefries; and a large glass of orange juice





(You were expecting some ABBA perhaps?)


My original plan this morning was to redo Taylor Street Coffee Shop (see previous 'blog-entry from March 3rd, 2013), but when I arrived there, there was a line out the door (it's another one of those tiny little, but good, places in the heart of Touristlandia). Luckily, I knew that there was another very good back-up plan redo just a block away and I headed back over to Cafe Mason (see last 'blog-entry from April 18th, 2015). Unfortunately, I didn't score my "regular" table (the really cool, two-person mini-booth along the window). (D*mn touristas!)

For some reason, I got the same four-page "Brunch" menu as the first time I ate there. I think they must give it out after 8:00am, anyone eating there very early in the morning will only get the reduced two-pager breakfastary menu. This was good, as they really do have a very nice selection from which to choose.




These came as two pâncâkês (or crêpes) folded over with the fillings in the middle. I have found that Swêdîsh Pâncâkês are usually served with a lingonberry[1] sauce, but this was all still very good to me, anyway.

I really do like their version of homefries, which are sliced and then homefried and include lots of white and green onions and green bell peppers in them.

The side of fruit that came with the pâncâkês (or crêpes) was a meal unto itself. There were slices of apple, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, kiwi, pineapple, and one orange slice.

Cafe Mason offers for condimentary supplementation both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce. I used some of my own Fat Cat® Surprisingly Mild Guajillo Ghost
(Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Swêdîsh Pâncâkês ~ 6.5; homefries ~ 7.4


________________

1. Apparently Billy-boy and his Spell-checkering, Goose-steppering Nazis at Microsoft have never been to Sweden either, as they do not recognize this berry (and it is an actual botanical berry to boot).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea

No comments:

Post a Comment