Sunday, November 22, 2015

Rocco's Ccafé




http://www.roccoscafe.com/


Place: Rocco's Ccafé 
Location: 1131 Folsom Street (between 7th and 8th Streets)
Hours: open Monday - Friday at 7:00am, Saturday & Sunday at 8:00am
Meal: 3 (well, actually I asked them for 2 only, because I figured [correctly] that three eggs would have been too much) Eggs "Spuds a la Rocco"[1] ~ topped w/ avocado, Marinara, & sharp Cheddar; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) of whatever the house Coffee (Caffè) was




(Hey, Brian, what gives? "Summertime" in the Fall? And a Latin Jazz version at that?

What the hey?! I figured this would make about as much sense for a EweToobular juxtaselection as un ristorante italiano with a half-Frenchy name and a dish also with a Frenchified moniker.)


Sono tornato a Rocco's Ccafé per colazione (see previous 'blog-entry from October 12th, 2013). I even sat at the same table as I had on my initial visit (however, unlike yesterday, no one seemed to recognize me from two years ago).

This place bears repeating again (of course, that probably means another two years between visits). They open up nice and early for my liking and there is usually an abundance of nearby street parking to be found that early (I parked right in front this morning), and they have a very nice breakfastary selection from which to choose. There are several other ideas that I would like to check out: Fresh Vegetable Frittata w/ 3 Cheeses; Mushroom, Onion, Basil, & Parmesan Cheese Frittata; Avocado, Tomato, & Provolone Cheese Omelette (I just hope they wouldn't forget the avocado); Fresh Spinach, Mushroom, & Provolone Cheese Omelette; Grilled Homemade (well, restaurant-made) Polenta topped with Cheese (just not Cheddar, I hope) & Marinara Sauce w/ Eggs any style (which I would probably have to order with a side of Rocco's Breakfast Potatoes); or 3 Eggs Poached in a Sweet Tomato, Basil Marinara Sauce w/ Italian Sausage (which I would have ottantasei-ed, of course) & Warm Italian French Bread ("Italian French Bread"?! Maybe that is the connection).




I liked this breakfast. I ordered my (2, not 3) eggs done "over medium". It was served in a bowl atop a nice portion of  Rocco's Breakfast Potatoes. Their Marinara sauce is a nice one, which went nicely as a dipping aid for my toast (my choice of toast: sourdough; I am not sure if that was "Italian" or "French" sourdough, though). Not included in the description, but it did also have lots of chopped tomatoes, green bell peppers, and onions in it; however, it was missing one of the main listed ingredients: avocado. Much like yesterday's omission of any cheese of actual Dutch origin, I would rather have seen this made with either Mozzarella, Provolone, or Parmesan in place of the formaggio britannico maledetto

I didn't think to ask what the house Coffee (Caffè della casa) was, but it was good enough for me to finish two-and-a-half cuppas while I was there.

For condimentary supplements, Rocco's Ccafé has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some of my own Fat Cat Chairman Meow's Revenge (Scorpion Pepper Sauce) (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of one of the eggs and some Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) on top of the other egg.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While walking around the neighborhood (I had arrived about fifteen minutes before the place would open), I saw a small pandemonium of four Wild Parrots of San Francisco flying overhead on Folsom Street (heading southward, probably toward their own breakfast in the Mission).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: 2 Eggs "Spuds di Rocco" ~ 6.4; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Why this is using the French (and feminine modifier to boot) "a la", non lo so. I figure a better italiano name for the dish should be: 3 Eggs "Spuds di Rocco"

For what it is worth, this restaurant does also use the French word "Ccafé" in its name, when I would probably also use the betterly suited "Ccaffè". 

No comments:

Post a Comment