Sunday, November 29, 2015

homeskillet




(No official web-site.[?] There is still an http[s?]://www.-thing for www.homeskilletsf.com; however, when you try to access it, the message 
"Site temporarily unavailable (451 error)" appears.)


Place: homeskillet
Location: 1001 Market Street (on the corner of 6th Street)
Hours: open at 7:30am every day of the week (or so the sign in the front door states)
Meal: gypzy[1] hashish ~ fresh hashbrowns (I concur with their correct spelling of this as oneword) scrambled w/ black beans, bell peppers, onions, topped w/ jackcheddar [ sic ] (while I agree with their spelling of "hashbrowns" as oneword, I am not quite so sure I like this amalgamation of two popular cheeses) cheese, sourcream (again, they have this as one word, but I am oh kay with that), salsa, two farm fresh eggs, & toast! (they added the explanation point, not me); and a cuppa (mug w/ refill) drip Coffee, which is/are Equator Coffees & Teas

http://www.equatorcoffees.com/




(While this song has absolutely no EweToobular juxtaselection with today's breakfastary destination, Lady Ella never needs any excuses to be linked here.)


I figured that it was about time that I made a return visit to homeskillet (see previous 'blog-entry from May 11th, 2014) for breakfast (I have been there a few times now for lunch since my initial breakfastary visit, too).

I especially like a place that has so many good choices (for both stupid vegetarians and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh alike) that it takes over five minutes working through the menu to decide upon a selection. If this place weren't located downtown, it would definitely be Starting Rotation-worthy. 

Exempli gratia[2]:

  • off the EGGS BENEDICT section of their menu: #15 shroom florentine (english muffin, mushroom & spinach, poached farm fresh eggs, hollandaise);
  • off the BUTTERY GRILLED SAMWICHES section (comes w/ hashbrowns, taters, or greens! [again, they added the explanation pointer]): #9 california love (apple smoked bacon, riped [ sic avocado, scrambled eggs, melted havarti, pepperjack, & cheddar);

or several other good choices in each of the other main sections of the menu:

  • HOUSEMADE HOTCAKES (I was eyeing the seasonal berry, which I would have had to order with a side of their excellent hashbrowns ~ you can never have enough carbohydrates on the Meso Diet);
  • SCRAMBLES (served w/ fresh hashbrowns or balsamic greens & choice of toast);
  • OMELETS (w/ hashbrowns or balsamic greens & choice of toast! [again, they saw fit to add an explanation point here; however, not in the SCRAMBLES description, for some reason]).




At first look, this didn't seem like it was going to be enough food; however, it was deceivingly filling and a lot of good food, after all. Any time that potatoes are the basis (or main focus) for a breakfast meal, I am always good with that. I had my two eggs prepared "over-medium" (and done nicely, they were; I hate when I order "over-medium" and they come out "over-under-done"). The only thing I might have done differently if I were making this dish (insert ironic laughter here) would have been to maybe add some fresh sliced jalapeños or serranos in place of the green bell peppers; I think that would really have kicked this puppy up a notch (and if you have a problem with kicking up puppies, talk to PETA or Emeril). As it was, it was really very good, anyway, and I liked it a lot (just not as much as the first dish that I had tried: #hashtag). I went with marble rye for the toast choice, 'cause sometimes you just wanna say "Gimme the marble rye, ya old bag!" when they ask what choice of toast you would like.

Another great reason to check out this place is that when you order a cuppa Coffee and go with the "mug w/ refill" option, you have three different Coffee roasts/blends from which to choose (well, four if you count any of that "de-caf" stuff) and can go back for seconds (or, in my case, thirds) to try each one. Today's choices of Equator Coffees & Teas were: 

(light roast) El Salvador Finca Himalaya Honey (this was my first choice and I started with a full-cuppa; it also was my favourite of the three);
(medium roast) Mocha Java (I went back for my first refilla with this one; I only had a half-cuppa; this was my third favourite); and 
(dark roast) Equator Blend (this was my last refilla; it was another half-cuppa; it was my second favourite of the morning).

For condimentary supplements, homeskillet offers a nice array of hot sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce); Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce; Louisiana's Pure Crystal® Hot Sauce; and Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce. Even knowing that they had a good selection of their own, I had come with some hot sauces from my collection, anyway, and I used a little Fat Cat Strawberry Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of one of the eggs and some Hot Licks Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the other egg.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: gypzy hashish ~ 7.1; Equator Coffees ~ 6.7 - 7.0

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-historical pointer of the day, number one:

The word "Gypsy" (or alternate spelling "Gipsy") originates from the Middle English "gypcian", short for "Egipcien". It is ultimately derived, via Middle French and Latin, from the Greek "Αιγύπτιοι" ("Aigyptioi"), i.e. "Egyptians"; cf. Greek "γύφτοι" ("gýftoi"), a corruption of the same word. It was once believed that the Romanis, or some other Gypsy groups (such as the Balkan Egyptians), originated in Egypt.

This exonym is sometimes written with a capital letter, to show that it designates an ethnic group. The Spanish term "gitano", the French term "gitan"*, and the Basque term "ijito" have the same origin.

*(And I always thought that "Gitanes" was French for "Camel".)

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, dualitas:

Of course, everyone knows that this is just Latin for "it won't cost ya nuthin'...".

No comments:

Post a Comment