Sunday, November 1, 2015

Rose's Café




http://rosescafesf.com/


Place: Rose's Café
Location: 2298 Union Street (on the corner of Steiner Street)
Hours: open Monday thru Friday at 7:00am (for Breakfast), Saturday and Sunday at 8:00am (for "Brunch")
Meal: Yukon Gold Potato Hash ~ with mushrooms, onions, Cheddar, & (two) organic poached eggs; an Orange Roll/Bun for a breakfastary starter; and a cuppa (with two refillas) Caffé [ sic ] Roma 
(a blend/roast made specifically for Rose's Café)

https://www.cafferoma.com/




(Today's EweToobular juxtaselections should be quite evident from today's restaurant's name. Everyone knows that Ryan Adams' real last name used to be "Café".)


This makes two days in a row (or is that "non in ero", Mr. O'Neil?) that my originally planned destinations have been thwarted. (Once again proving that old adage: "The best-played lands o' small rodents and male humans, goes daft awry.", or something like that. Who could ever understand what that drunk, Robbie Burns, was mumbling about, anyway?) I drove over to Cow Hollow early (well, an hour later than it would have been as "early" as it would have been last week ~ due to the whole d*mn Daylight Saving Time change stupidity) specifically to get back to La Cucina Restaurant (see last [as in "final" now, sadly] 'blog-entry from November 2nd, 2013 ~ interestingly enough, almost exactly two years ago now) again. However, they have closed operations (and apparently they have been closed now since October 2014). I walked by the place twice and didn't even recognize that it was once there. Luckily, I wasn't parked that far away from Rose's Café (see previous 'blog-entry from May 1st, 2010) and went there again. This ended up being  fine with me, as this restaurant needed a return visit, too.

The last time that I ate at Rose's Café, I also had the weekend Yukon Gold Potato Hash special. Luckily, 
they change the ingredients seasonally, so this wasn't the exact same dish as before. There were also a few other good ideas on this weekend's "Brunch" menu: Breakfast Pizza (with smoked ham, Fontina, & eggs; as a recent report from the WHO[1] has stated that smoking meats can cause lung cancer, I am sure they would have allowed some kinda substitution in place of the thinly-sliced, dead, decaying porky bits); another dish that looked interesting (I was sitting at one of the seats in the counter area overlooking the cooking area/massive stone Pizza oven and I saw it being prepped for many orders) was Soft Scrambled Eggs with Spinach & Prosciutto on Toasted House Bread (again, I would have requested this without the cancer-inducing porcine junk ~ as it is, I am down to smoking two packs of meat-products a day and really do need to watch my intake; I would also have had to order a side of Fried Potatoes, because it didn't look like it would have been enough by itself even for my meager appetite); or Grilled Chicken-Tarragon Sausage, Organic Poached Eggs, Polenta & Spicy Tomato Sauce (which I would have also ordered without the dead, decaying paltry poultry stuff; even if the Who haven't written a song about the dangers of that one yet).




I started with an Orange Roll/Bun mainly because the display case of all their fresh-baked goods was directly in front of me. There were way too many tempting choices there, too. I probably could have skipped ordering a main dish (I wouldn't, but I could have) and just went with a few of those for my entire meal.




This was a very good meal. The hash was nice and browned/crispy on the outside, just like I like it. I always like it when potatoes are the main focus of a breakfast ("Brunch", whatever) dish, too. And unlike yesterday's major omission, there were plenty of potatoes in this dish (and expectedly so).

I am not sure what Rose's Café normally has for condimentary supplements (I didn't look or ask), but my friendly and knowledgeable server-person guy (Sorry, Mrs. Huneycutt, I didn't get his name, but as far as knowledge, friendliness, and service goes, this was easily a 7.5 on the Glen Bacon Scale. Of course, if he also happened to be a "very cute server-person lady" like my last visit, I would probably rate the service at 8.5.) gave me a small ramekin-thing of Arizona Gunslinger® Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce to use. As usual, I had brought a few of my own hot sauces with me (which was what initially caught the eye of the server-guy person), but I always like to try new ones and the smoky heat of this one proved to be a nice addition to the pile o' hash stuff.

http://www.azgunslinger.com/index.php?p=product&id=4


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Orange Roll/Bun ~ 6.9; Yukon Gold Potato Hash ~ 6.8; Caffé Roma Coffee ~ 6.7

___________________

1. And just since when do Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, and Roger Daltrey start dictating what we can or can not eat? Stick to fighting for your own meals out there in the fields!

(Sub-note: There is no truth to the rumour that Keith Moon had overdosed on too much Prosciutto di Parma back in 1978.)

No comments:

Post a Comment