Saturday, February 13, 2016

Kate's Kitchen




http://kates-kitchensf.com/


Place: Kate's Kitchen
Location: 471 Haight Street (between Fillmore and Webster Streets)
Hours: open Monday at 9:00am, Tuesday - Friday at 8:00am, Saturday and Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: Lauren Special ~ two eggs any style on a Kaiser roll[1] with sausage, cheese, tomato, red onion, avocado, and chipotle aioli, served with home fries; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) San Francisco Coffee Company ~ N'Arlins-style blend (with roasted chicory)





As I have basically run out of any new breakfast joints to check out (now I am sure that there are others [and I am always on the look-out for different places], but after many years of eating breakfasts out on Saturday and Sunday, I can't really think of any just now to visit), I headed back to Kate's Kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from March 7th, 2015) this morning. This was really not that tough of a decision for me because I knew from many past visits there (spanning probably twenty years [and two millennia] or more now) that they are always good for a breakfastary repast.

Other ideas that I was also thinking about (and all off the Specials board): Eggs Benedict (with Prosciutto [which I would have skipped; however, those of you that do partake of the dead, decaying Italian dry-cured pork flesh may have enjoyed this as a change from the dead, decaying Canadian-style pork flesh], seared spinach, mushrooms, scallions, & Hollandaise sauce); Vegiscramble (avocado, roasted red bell peppers, roasted tomato, spicy onion, and cilantro all seared in a house-made [restaurant-made, whatever] Habanero salsa, and topped with Cotija cheese[2]; I would normally go with this choice, but it was pretty similar to the version that I had on my last visit); or (2 or 4) Cornmeal Buttermilk Pancakes (which come in a variety of varieties, and the two that I specifically was looking at were: Pear & Ginger or Oatmeal w/Banana & Almonds). The weekend Specials board also always offers a Meatomelette (which I like to pronounce as "Mee-ATO-melette"), but this weekend, in addition to the dead, decaying animal flesh in it, it also include "the vile weed", so it made no sense for me to even think about getting that one.




This was a very good breakfast sandwich and not your crazy Uncle McRonald's crummy ol' Eggamuffin (noch dein Onkel Wild Bill Käses Frühstückssandwich). Of course, I sechsundachtzig-ed die toten verfallenden Schweinefleisch. I went with the two eggs fried (as I figured, correctly, that this would be the best medium with which to eat them sandwich-style). The cheese in this was a grated/shredded Cheddar. The chipotle aioli was pretty tasty (I made sure to test it first before adding any superfluous condimentation to it), but I would have liked a little bit more of it on the top.

I always like their version of homefries, too. These come with nicely caramelised green bell peppers and white onions.

For condimentary supplementation, I only saw bottles of Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce on the tables (they have had other hot sauces in the past, but that was all I noticed this morning). I just used some (well, a good amount) of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) on the homefries. I didn't want to mess with the flavour of the chipotle aioli that was on the sandwich so I left that untouched.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Lauren Special ~ 6.7

___________________

1. Warum Kaisersemmel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_roll

2. http://cheese.com/cotija/

And I always just love that there is an actual web-site thing called "Cheese.com". Isn't the World Wild Web wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment