Friday, April 22, 2016

Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe




(No official web-site any longer. 

They had one that seemed to be working for a while, but it does not even come up any longer. Unless, of course, they have changed their restaurant name to 
"Service Unavailable".)


Place: Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street); phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656
Hours: open daily at 8:00am
Meal: (to start) Sweet Potato Tart; (for the main meal) Breakfast Tacos (3) ~ corn tortillas filled with (scrambled) eggs, tomatoes, onions, peppers (bell; both red and green), and cheese (probably a mixture of Cheddar and Monterey Jack); and (to drink) a cuppa (and one refilla) whatever is their house Coffee





(Yeah, it's Earth Day once again. Respect Mother Earth... or else! You don't ever wanna piss off ol' Noel Yang.)


As a extra-added special edition Friday morning 'blog-entry (and continuing on with my early season workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation), I went back to Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from January 17th, 2016). I got there about 8:15am, but, even so, I was still the first customer of the morning. It soon filled up quickly enough with touristas that were staying in the neighborhood.

Some other possible ideas that I was alternately looking at/thinking of ordering: Veggie Omelet (eggs, tomatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms; served with potatoes and toast); Artichoke - Spinach Scramble (egg whites, spinach, artichokes, grilled onions, sun-dried tomatoes; served with toast and choice of potatoes or fruit); or Florentine Taters Scramble (country potatoes scrambled with spinach, sautéed onions, the vile weed, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese; this was one of the first dishes that I ever had there and it's always a good back-up plan if needed).





I started out with a Sweet Potato Tart because it's one of my favourites of their fresh-baked pastries. They do always bring out a "bite-sample" or two, but I am not so sure that people are aware that there are several other pastries offered. Marketing-wise, I think that they should really put something on their menu stating that they have fresh-baked pastries; even the display case is near the back and unmarked, and you might miss it if you were not aware of it. 

These tacos were very simple, but very simply good, too. (And, yes, tacos oficiales should always be made with corn tortillas; and they should be of the soft version, not the fake crispy kind offered at fast food joints.) 
For those of you that do partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh, these can also be gotten with chicken, bacon, sausage, or ham. I almost ordered a side of their country potatoes (which are made with both white/standard potatoes and sweet potatoes and I know to be very good), but this would have proven to be wayyyy too much food for me after the pastry starter.

I know that Cafe Golo has a few different hot sauces from which to choose for condimentary supplements. Even so, I used some of my own (mainly because I am still trying to use up some of my older bottles first) 
Fat Cat Chairman Meow's Revenge (Scorpion Pepper Sauce) (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on one of the tacos, and some Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on another of the tacos. I left the third one unadorned, but I probably shoulda asked for a small ramekin of their awesome Golo Ranchero Sauce to pour on it, too.

Grits update (or not)

Per Miss P.B., they are still waiting to open their new Tenderloin location. It seems that there is yet still another hold-up with the city. This time it has something to do with the original flooring being made from redwood (not cement) and not being up to (seismic?) code. The building probably must be over 100 years old, I would guess.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Sweet Potato Tart ~ 7.5; 
Breakfast Tacos (3) ~ 6.4

No comments:

Post a Comment