Saturday, April 9, 2016

Ella's


"The one with the vegetarian open faced omelette with spinach, tomatoes, balsamic grilled onions, roasted garlic, and fontina cheese."



http://www.ellassanfrancisco.com/


Place: Ella's Neo Classical American Cooking
Location: 500 Presidio Avenue (on the corner of California Street)
Hours: open for breakfast Monday through Friday at 7:00am; open for "Brunch" Saturday and Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: vegetarian open faced omelette ~ with spinach, tomatoes, balsamic grilled onions, roasted garlic, and fontina cheese; and a cuppa Coffee (with two refillas)





(It was a bit of a rainy Saturday morning. Hence, the specific Lady Ella EweToobular juxtaselections.)


As it is the beginning of an all-new Baseball Season 
(Go Red Sox and Giants!), it is time to do another workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. I started off with Ella's Neo Classical American Cooking (see previous 'blog-entry from January 3rd, 2016). I sat at the counter-seating area that overlooks the kitchen/cooking area (that way I could make sure no one spit in my food... except me). 

D'oh! I completely forgot to order a Ginger Orange Juice Punch this morning like I normally would.

This weekend's only other viable options (for stupid vegetarian types): pear puree ricotta cheese pancakes (3) (which would have been my first choice if I was in the mood for a "sweet" breakfast) or fried egg sandwich with cheddar cheese, pesto aioli, organic baby arugula, avocado on a brioche bun (they were a little vague on what might be in the sandwich, so I skipped this one, too). Unfortunately, today's potato scramble was mainly dead, decaying animal flesh-based (with smoked ham, sautéed mushrooms and gruyere cheese).





"open faced omelette"? Ain't that just called a "frittata"?

The omelette was started on the stove, then finished under the salamander[1] (see, like a frittata would be, nu?). They put a good mess o' shredded Fontina on top of it and it all melted up nicely under the salamander, creating a nice cheesy-gooey helmet for the omelette (frittata, whatever). The Balsamic grilled (red) onions were very good (and in a copious amount, too). This was really a HUGE amount of food, and, sadly, I couldn't finish all of the omelette (but I did my best to finish up the Balsamic grilled [red] onions and most of the spinach); even so, I still felt like Mr. Creosote when I was done.

This meal came with a side order of potatoes and choice of toast; my toast choice was my standard honey oat raisin.

Ella's Neo Classical American Cooking only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce) for condimentary supplementation. This was fine with me as it gave me the perfect opportunity to test out my newest hot sauce[2] that I bought last week while on vacation in Orlando (the one in Florida, Mr. Bloom): Dixie Crossroads Hot Habañero [ sic ] Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!). I used a good amount of it on the potatoes; it isn't that picante, just about twice the heat of Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce Original Red Sauce. I also used some Sunbelt Plantations Vidalia Onion & Jalapeño Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of the open-faced omelette (frittata, whatever); I felt that it really complemented the Balsamic grilled (red) onions in it.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: vegetarian open faced omelette ~ 6.8

___________________

1. Estúpido, cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Sitting there watching them prepare the meal, I got to wondering what they might called a "salamander" en español. So I asked one of the Mexican waiter-server person guys. He told me they just call it a "salamander", too. But it sounded much cooler the way he pronounced it.

For any of you that have read this far along, the Spanish word for "salamander" (the little amphibian guy, not the broiler-thing above a professional stove) is actually "la salamandra".

2. Not that I really needed any more d*mn hot sauces, but I am counting this as a souvenir from my trip, too. The total I now have on my refrigerator door shelves is twenty-five bottles. I am sure that I will be able to use them all up before the next Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment