Saturday, April 16, 2016

Dottie's True blue café




http://www.dottiestruebluesf.com/

(Ooops. I just located their official web-site after posting this earlier in the day. Ignore the below comment about not having one, but the yelp* stuff still stands.)


Place: Dottie's True blue café
Location: 28 Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street); phonicular contact: (415) 885-2767
Hours: open for breakfast Thursday through Monday at 7;30am
Meal: (a big bowl o') 1919 Rum Runner - Walnut Caramel Bread Pudding and a (huge pile o') side of home fries; and a cuppa (and one refilla) Coffee


I think it is only fitting that Dottie's True blue café was my 700th (Woo-HOO!!! ~ insert fireworks emoji here) 'blog-entry (see last 'blog-entry from January 9th, 2016), even if you aren't a Pat Robertson fan (and if you are a Pat Robertson fan, why the H-E-double hockey sticks are you reading my 'blog-thing?!). I don't think that I have eaten there 700 times already, but it must be at least 100-200 or so.

Some other ideas that I could have gone with this morning: 1929 Bronze Goddess Banana Whiskey Roll (which I would have also ordered with a side of home fries); 1920's Prohibition Whiskey Blueberry Crumb Cake (ditto on the side of home fries); Avocado, Tomato, Jalapeño, Corn, Scallion & Feta Frittata (comes with toast & potatoes; I have had this, or similar versions, before and have always liked it; besides, I really can't repeat this mantra enough: "Everything's betta with Feta!"); or Sweet Potato, Caramelized Red Onion & Gruyère Tart (comes with eggs any style & fruit; I have also had this version in the past and it was always very tasty).

Because Dottie's True blue café no longer has an official web-site, and I haven't been there since January, I decided to check recent yelp* reviews to make sure that they are still open for business (Kurt has the place up for sale if anyone is interested). Now here's the thing, the reviews that I read there were all either 4 or 5 - (which were the majority) or 1 -  . From some of the recent reviews, it seems that people either absolutely love the place or positively hate the place (due to long lines and their perceived slights by the workers there). I don't really know about any of that; personally, I have never had poor service and the food is always stellar; plus,  I know of many other rave reviews from people that I have taken there. My rule of thumb: take any reviews you read on yelp* with many grains of salt (or, if you are watching your blood pressure, with some fresh cracked peppercorns).




This was a pretty good idea for a change of breakfastary pace. The bread pudding was very good (luckily, as) and a large quantity. What's not to like? It had lots of walnuts in it, and who (besides Pat Robertson fans) doesn't like caramel? It came heated up and with a good amount of whipped cream on top, but I might have preferred just some fresh cream on it instead. I almost went with an additional egg (over-medium), which would have been wayyyy too much food. As it was, I couldn't finish all of the potatoes (but I did my best to make a good dent in them). Why did I order both bread pudding and potatoes for breakfast? Because I never get enough carbohydrates in my diet...

Dottie's True blue café always has a pretty decent condimentary supplementation: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (three types: Original Red Sauce, Green Jalapeño Sauce, and Chipotle Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Frank's RedHot® Chile 'n Lime. However, once again, I just used some of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) on the homefries. And that has finally killed that bottle now (leaving me with only twenty-three bottles of hot sauces remaining to use up).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
1919 Rum Runner - Walnut Caramel Bread Pudding ~ 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment