Sunday, April 17, 2016

Eats




(Still no official web-site thing.)


Place: Eats
Location: 50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue); phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000
Hours: open for breakfast every day of the week at 8:00am
Meal: Season's Scramble (v) ~ mushrooms, corn, zucchini, garlic, cherry tomatoes, basil, goat cheese, parsley (comes w/ toast [multi-grain, sourdough, rye], with a choice of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes or mixed greens); and a small glassa Power "C" ~ orange, grapefruit, pineapple juices


Because I am still working my way through my Breakfastary Starting Rotation for an early season workout, I went back to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from January 16th, 2016) for breakfast this morning. I sat outside because I could (I was the first one in line this morning and had my choice of seating, anyway) and because the weather was excellent for a change (it's supposed to reach the low 80's here today).

Some of the other ideas that I was looking at were: Spicy Tomato Skillet (v) (kale, onions, potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, sunny up eggs, Parmesan, grilled bread; I have had this one a few times before and it is very good; there is so much kale in it that I have renamed it: "Spicy Kale Skillet with tomatoes and other stuff"); Veggie Polenta and Sunny Up Eggs (spinach, red/green bell peppers, leeks, garlic; I think that this one is new-ish from their recently updated menu); or Spinach Portabella Benedict (v) (which I have also had before and know to be another good choice).





This was a great seasonal scramble (which I expect is the Spring season). It had lots of halved cherry tomatoes (which gave it a nice *pop*) and fresh-shucked (not from frozen) kernels of corn. I went with sourdough as my toast choice. And, of course, I went with the option of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes. Who in their right (or left) mind would choose plain ol' "mixed greens" (read: rabbit-food) when given the clearly superior choice of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes? There were four-and-a half (well, there were actually four whole cloves, but one clove was extra large so I am counting it as 1-1/2) cloves of garlic in with the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes this morning, which I generously shmeered[1] all over the toast.

For condimentary supplements, Eats has the standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [Original Red Sauce], Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Cholula® Hot Sauce [Original]); plus, they now offer three different types of El Yucateco® (Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero [una roja y una verde] and XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero [which is one that I still also currently have in my hot sauce collection]). As I am trying to use up some of the oldest of my own hot sauces, I used a good amount of Fat Cat Strawberry Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) in with the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes and just a small amount of Fat Cat Chairman Meow's Revenge (Scorpion Pepper Sauce) (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the scramble mess. I estimate that there is probably just another dose or two left of the Strawberry Serrano. (I figure I need to use up at least another three to four more bottles to even make the collection somewhat manageable.)

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Now this was very cool and it is pretty unusual to see these birds this far west into the city, but I did see one pair earlier in the morning crossing over Clement Street (near 3rd Avenue), and again, while eating, I first heard, then spotted a small pandemonium of another seven of my fine-feathered chatterbox friends flying overhead. I would like to think that they are finally trying to roost in Golden Gate Park, but more than likely, it's still way too chilly all year round for them to live there and they were just venturing further out this morning in search of a nice breakfastary repast themselves (I wonder how they feel about garlic).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Season's Scramble ~ 6.8; 
Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.6;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. (Somewhat kinda) stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Shmeer" (also spelled "shmear" or "schmeer") is a Yiddish word and can be used in various ways. Once again, whenever a Yiddish/Yinglish word needs a good explanation, I turn to the best (well, the only one that I own or know of) lexicon for Yiddish-English: 
The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten.

According to Mr. Rosten:

shmeer
Pronounced as it is written, rhymes with "shear". From German: Schmiere: "grease", or "bribe".
1. To paint.
2. To smear.
3. To spread. "Shmeer it on the bread."
4. A spread or paste. "With drinks, a caviar shmeer on crackers goes well." "Smoked fish, cream cheese, sour cream, and chives make a wonderful cocktail shmeer."
5. To bribe; a bribe. This is the most interesting usage, and has long been part of American slang. It is related to "greasing the palm." "Do the officials expect to be shmeered there?" "Do they take a shmeer?" There is a saying: "Az men shmeert nit, fort men nit." ("If you don't bribe, you don't ride." - or, less literally, "Without bribery, you'll get nowhere.")
6. To strike or beat. "He landed a shmeer between the eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment