Sunday, April 24, 2016

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House




http://www.cliffhouse.com/bistro/index.html


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House
Location: 1090 Point Lobos (at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach, "Where San Francisco Begins")
Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: Joe's Special Scramble ~ scrambled eggs with sautéed ground beef, onions, mushrooms, spinach, topped with Parmesan cheese, served with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes; a cuppa (and two refillas) Peerless Coffee & Tea® (I asked the busboy/Coffee refiller/(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) resupplier-person what blend/roast it was, but he didn't know; I can only assume it was Fair Trade Organic French Roast, as this is the same blend/roast that they serve up the hill at Lands End Lookout Café); and a basket (of only two, initially) of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/ 



(I am only providing this EweToobular song because there isn't a corresponding love song from "The Maltese Falcon". Sure, Sam "played it [again?]" for Ilsa, but no one ever played a love song for poor Brigid O'Shaughnessy.[1])


In finishing up the early season workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I went with/back to my All- Closer: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from January 2nd, 2016). 
I can think of no better way to end a Series than with some (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!).

The weather along the shore this morning was optimal for anyone wanting to take a stroll on the water's edge: the Sun was out and brightly shining and the waves seemed just tasty enough to me, Spicoli. It was strange, but I did not see even one surfer along Ocean Beach this morning (nor any dolphins nor porpoises tagging along behind them). However, there was a rumour that there were some whales (most likely Humpbacks heading North to Alaska, Mr. Horton, for the Summer) out there. Now, I don't know if it was the power of suggestion, but I may or may not have seen several swimming just about 200 yards offshore (just past the closest set of breakers and due west of Seal Rocks[2]). And if these were actually whales (and not my eyes thinking sandbars and rocks were humping the surface and spouting water), it had to be a pretty good sized pod/school, as they remained viewable for a good amount of time.




This was a nice scramble-mess. There was plenty of fresh spinach in it and it seemed that they had added extra mushrooms for me as, of course, I made sure that they 86-ed any of the dead, decaying grounded-up bovine flesh.

There were only two (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) in the basket to start, but they will always provide you with more if needed... and I needed an additional two (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), so they brought me more. They even stopped by as I was finishing my meal and asked if I would like any more (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), but I was already "sitting in da Volvo"[3] by then.

Today's fresh fruits included: cantaloupe, strawberries, watermelon, honeydew melon, and red grapes.

the Bistro Restaurant has for condimentary supplements just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce). Once again, I used some of my own Fat Cat Chairman Meow's Revenge (Scorpion Pepper Sauce) (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the potatoes and a little (and by "a little" I mean just five small drops) of Blair's After Death sauce with liquid fire (Thanks a lot, Sean! [insert sarcasm-emoticon here]) on the scrambled mess.




Hollywoodland Strange Interlude

As I have already chronicled all (to the best of my knowledge) of the autographed photos of Hollywoodland 's along the walls, I have decided to highlight one per visit starting today. 

As luck would have it, situated right over my right shoulder this morning was a photo of Humphrey DeForest Bogart. Bogart just happens to be one of my favourite Hollywoodland actors. Personally, my favourite Bogart movies are "The Maltese Falcon" and "To Have and Have Not" (but both a very young and pretty Lauren Bacall and an old and rummy Walter Brennan tend to steal scenes from Bogart in that one).

When it comes to Hollywoodland actors, Humphrey Bogart was the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) of moving pictures male thespians.

http://humphreybogart.com/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Joe's Special Scramble ~ 6.5; 
Humphrey DeForest Bogart ~ 8.2;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2

___________________

1. Okay. There is this one, but it sounds a tad bit dated today.


2. Here's a little-known Cliff Clavinoid fact:

The San Francisco Tourist Board had originally come up with the name of "Bird-Poop Rocks" for this group of small rock formation islands just off the shore of Lands End, but it didn't quite seem to have the same panache as "Seal Rocks".

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

To get that stupid joke, you would have to know that "sufficiently full" in Russkij is "довольно сыт" (transliterated as "dovol'no syt" and pronounced somewhat like "daVOLna seat").

2 comments:

  1. Who would you say is the living "(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) of moving pictures male thespian?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... good question.

      Maybe John Cusack. I have always thought that he was a way underrated actor.

      Delete