Saturday, July 16, 2016

Honey Honey ~ Cafe & Crepery


"'Well,' said Pooh, 'what I like best,' and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called." ~ A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh



http://www.honeyhoneycafeandcrepery.com/


Place: Honey Honey ~ Cafe & Crepery
Location: 599 Post Street (on the corner of Taylor Street)
Hours: open Monday - Sunday at 7:30am
Meal: Baklava[1] (Dessert Crepe) ~ cinnamon, walnut, and white syrup; a side of potatoes; and a cuppa Coffee (I didn't ask which brand or roast, but the last time I ate there they had America's Best Coffee Roasting Company, and I just assume it was still the same)




(I know you are trying to figure out just what the heck the EweToobular juxtaselection is here. 

Simples! 

The song segues into "Who Do you Love?" with a Bo Diddley beat, and everyone knows that Ellas Otha Bates/Ellas McDaniel/Bo Diddley's real last name was "Honey". 

If you didn't know that, you didn't know squat!)


Sometimes you just need a good crêpe (or "crepe" for those of you that are circumflex-challenged 
[in-circumflex-ible?]) for breakfast, whether it be a sweet or savoury crêpe, too. Because of which, I decided to head back to Honey Honey ~ Cafe & Crepery 
(see previous 'blog-entry from March 19th, 2016).

I had arrived there at about 7:15am and there were only two people ahead of me waiting patiently in line for them to open up. By the time they did open at 7:30am, there were probably another ten to twelve people behind me, and by 8:00am, the line to order was from the counter to the door, and they were basically full then.

There are still many more good ideas from which to choose at this place:

(off the Savory Crepes section of the menu) 
Torino (Feta cheese, fresh basil, tomato, mushroom);
Eggplant (Cheddar, tomato, garlic, fresh basil, sundried tomato, eggplant [Oh, now I get the name of this crêpe!]); 
Florentine (Cheddar, spinach, cottage cheese, onion); 
or 
Salsa (Cheddar, onion, tomato, avocado, olives, salsa, sour cream);

(off the Eggs & Omelettes section of the menu)
Post Street (Cheddar, ham, onion, mushrooms, green pepper; of course, I would have ordered this without any of the putrefied porky-stuff); 
Milano (Mozzarella, tomato, garlic, and fresh basil); 
or 
Athens (Feta, spinach, and olives; this will probably be my first choice whenever I get back there again and feel like ordering an omelette).

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Before and after breakfast, while walking around the neighborhood, I heard a few of the Wild Parrots of San Francisco, but didn't see any of them flying around. As best as I can figure, there must be a local, small roost in the Post-Geary-Taylor area.





Wha'?! A Dessert Crepe for breakfast?! Well, it worked pretty well for me. This was chock full o' (wal)nuts and cinnamon. The "white syrup" stuff was probably some kinda simple sugar syrup. They offer this with a choice of either Ice Cream or whipped cream for a topping. I went with whipped cream, because I figured Ice Cream for breakfast might be a little silly and overkill.

And to contrapose the sweetness of this crêpe, the potatoes were an excellent savoury choice. These really are great potatoes for breakfast. They are perfectly seasoned/spiced and burnt/crispy just like I like 'em!

For condimentary supplementation, Honey Honey 
~ Cafe & Crepery has the standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce), Cholula® Hot Sauce Original, and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some of my own Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on half of the pile o' potatoes and some Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on the other half of the pile.

I really did like this sweet crêpe for a breakfastary change-of-pace. Now if they could ever come up with a Kαταΐφι crêpe...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Baklava (Dessert Crepe) ~ 6.8;
(really awesome) potatoes ~ 7.4;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. For any of you truly ambitious cooks out there:


(Yeah, there is absolutely no way in H-E-Double-Hockeysticks that I would ever attempt making that dish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment