Sunday, October 2, 2016

Cafe GoLo


Meet you at the sweet potato, kiwi-cranberry, and blackberry-mango tarts and pastry-thing bakery-shack...



(No official-type web-site thing any longer... 
that I know of.)


Place: Cafe GoLo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street); phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656
Hours: open every day of the week at 8:00am
Meal: (to start) a blackberry-mango pastry-thing; (for the main meal) Florentine Omelet ~ eggs, with spinach, mushrooms, Feta and Mozzarella cheese, served with (country) potatoes and toast; and (to drink) a cuppa (and two refillas) whatever is their house Coffee




(There is no EweToobular juxtaselection between 
Cafe GoLo and Lightnin' Hopkins[1], I just felt like introducing some o' you folk to this great Blues artist. I, myself, was only introduced to his music less than twenty years ago now. [Thanks, Skip!])


One last stop for my Breakfastary Starting Rotation workout for this season/year. I headed back to 
Cafe GoLo (see last 'blog-entry from Friday, April 22nd, 2016 ~ Friday?! I am trying to figure out just why-the-heck I was off on a Friday that week.) for breakfast (and pastry-things) this morning. 

As with Eats yesterday, I think that I have now tried just about all of the stupid vegetarian-friendly items on their menu. This doesn't mean that I will not be ordering either GoLo Ranchero (corn tortillas topped with eggs, beans, cheese, spicy salsa verde, served with sour cream and avocado) or Florentine Taters (country potatoes scrambled with spinach, sautéed onions, the vile weed, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese ~ this is an eggless dish, but you can get them to lay [as in "place on top"; I don't think they have any live chickens, Mr. Hopkins, working in their kitchen] one or two eggs on top o' the pile if you want) on any subsequent visits, as both of those are truly stellar, Mrs. Kowalski.



(Sorry. This photo does not do the pastry-thing justice at all. I would fire the bastage photographer, but we are related ~ plus, he only works for leftover food.)


I went with the opening choice of a blackberry-mango pastry-thing mainly because blackberries are in season right now and Cafe GoLo always likes to highlight fresh seasonal fruits in their baked goods. Of course, it was very tasty. I also made sure to get a couple more tarts (pastry-things?) to Go: one sweet potato and one kiwi-cranberry. I will be sure to enjoy those at home later today/tonight while watching some Football (Go 49ersGo Patriots!) and Baseball (Go Red Sox!!! Go Giants!). 

If there is just one marketing pointer that I would like to impart to Cafe GoLo: instead of just giving people a small taste-teaser of their fresh-baked goods when you sit down, they really need to list some of these on their menu, or at least make sure that people are aware that these are available and maybe suggest adding one (or more) to your meal when they take your order. These pastries are really worth a visit all for their-d*mn-selves!




This was an ab-so-lyoot-lee HUGE omelette, I could not finish it entirely; I did make sure to scrape out the last of the fillings and finish all of that, at least. This was made with lots of sautéed fresh spinach. I was not quite sure how the combination of Mozzarella and Feta might work, but I was very impressed with the outcome. The Mozzarella made for the melty, chewy filling and the Feta adhered to everything much better that way. Who knew? (or Chi lo sapeva? or Οι οποίοι γνώριζαν;)

I chose the sourdough toast and had a side of their really good country potatoes (the "Country" in this case happens to be Sweet-Potato-and-Regular-Potato-sylvania).

For condimentary supplements, I simply went with some of my own hot sauces. I used a little 
Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on top of the omelette, and some 
Pope's Whiskey River Full Flavor Hot Sauce (Thanks, Amy and Chef Joe!) all over the country potatoes.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Just before entering the restaurant this morning, I saw a single pair ("A 'single pair'?" Is there even a term for a "small pandemonium"?) of the chattering feather-brains gambolling overhead along Lombard Street.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Florentine Omelet ~ 6.7;
baked goods ~ 7.0-7.6;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5
___________________

1. Anyone that likes the Blues really should check out more of ol' Sam's music:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightnin%27_Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment