Saturday, October 22, 2016

Daily Grill


Breakfast on Geary (redux), Part 1B



http://www.dailygrill.com/locations/daily-grill-san-francisco-california/


Place: Daily Grill
Location: 347 Geary Street (between Powell and Mason Streets)
Hours: open for breakfast at 7:00am Sunday to Saturday (closed every other day of the week)
Meal: Three Egg Omelette with Spinach, Tomato, & Bleu Cheese ~ served with breakfast potatoes, sliced tomatoes, or fresh fruit; and a large glassa cranberry juice (which may or may not have been of the dark roast variety from Colombia)





(Just a couple more songs from Mississippi John Hurt... even though there was no actual Coffee or c|a|n|d|y with breakfast this morning.)


I returned back to Daily Grill for the first time since I had initially started my Breakfast on Geary series (see first 'blog-entry from Sunday January 15th, 2012). As they are a small national restaurant chain (with about fifteen restaurants throughout the United States, mostly in California), I don't know why they didn't go with the more trendier sounding/spelling restaurant name "Daily Grille" (or the completely Joycean "Daile Grille").

There really aren't that many other options offered for breakfast for those of the stupid vegetarian ilk. I was thinking about either Egg White Omelette (mushrooms, tomato, and scallions, served with avocado-tomato salsa and sliced tomato; I love tomatoes, but that sounded like a bit of tomato-overkill even for me; I probably would have asked to have some of their breakfast potatoes substituted instead) or a different Three Egg Omelette (there are several items listed from which to choose and with three more choices of cheeses: Cheddar, Mozzarella, or Swiss ~ just no Feta, pity).

Or for those of you that do partake of the dead, decaying poultry flesh, or dead, decaying porky bits, or dead, decaying sea insects: Cobb Omelette (our house specialty with chicken breast, green onions, avocado, tomatoes, bacon, and Bleu cheese) or Crab Cake Benedict (two poached eggs on jumbo lump crab cakes, topped with homemade Hollandaise sauce).

Because this restaurant is basically the house restaurant for a large hotel next door (and above, I suppose), I was surrounded by Spanish speaking[1] customers; there was probably some kinda (doctors?/¿médicos?) convention in town ~ I saw a few of the customers with name tags that looked like this was the case. A few times I overheard some of the customers ask (in Spanish) what kind of eggs are served and the waitress/server person-ladies or waiter/server person-guys replied (also in Spanish) that they offered  "revueltos" (scrambled eggs), "fritos" (fried eggs), or "huevos over-easy" (sorry, I could not locate any corresponding English translation for that style of cooked egg anywhere).

Strange Coffee Interlude

Me: What brand of Coffee do you serve?

Waitress/server person-lady: We have lattes and espresso drinks if you want.

M: No. What brand of Coffee do you serve?

W/sp-l: A dark roast.

M: No. What BRAND of Coffee is it?

W/sp-l: It's a Colombian roast.

M: No. What BRAND... I'll just have a large glassa cranberry juice. Thanks!

(Never trust a waitress/server person-lady [or waiter/server person-guy] that doesn't know which specific brand of Coffee a place serves. Don't worry, no Glen Bacon Scale Rating points are ever deducted due to the knowledge [or lack thereof] of workers at a restaurant. It didn't affect the tip amount none any, neither; other than the lack of knowledge of the Coffee variety, she was very nice, attentive, and friendly.)





I was rather pleased with my particular choice of ingredients for this omelette; they all went together very nicely. Not enough places offer Bleu cheese as an ingredient. The only complaint that I might have (and this is no fault of the kitchen in any way) was that with both tomatoes and spinach inside, it all made for a bit of a water-y omelette. 

Of course I went with the potatoey option for my side choice (even I can slice tomatoes or chop up fruit; not that I ever have any in my refrigerator, but I could if I did). Their breakfast potatoes are very good, too. There were lots of chunks of green and orange bell peppers and (white) onions mixed in. I also forgot from my last visit there that they have really good fresh-roasted jalapeños. Those would have gone extremely well with the breakfast potatoes, too.

They don't list it on the menu, but most egg dishes also come with a choice of toast; I went with white toast. Now this was very strange ~ it came as three halves of toast! That got me to thinking: Did I get someone else's half-slice of toast or did I get cheated out of another half-slice of toast? (And I am not trying to be optimistic or pessimistic in my questioning there.)

I didn't bother to ask what Daily Grill had for condimentary supplementation, but I think that I saw bottles of both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for use (these were not on any of the tables, but at one of the busboy stations). I had brought some of my own hot sauces with me, anyway, and used some Dixie Crossroads Hot Habañero [ sic ] Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the omelette and some Old St. Augustine Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Three Egg Omelette ~ 6.5

___________________

1. If a Spanish-speaker never learned to rrrroll their "R's" when they were young, do you think that they call all dogs "But"?

No comments:

Post a Comment