Saturday, February 4, 2017

Pork Store Cafe


♪ "Struck me kinda funny, seemed kind of funny, sir, to me
How at the start of every hard earned day people find some reason to eat breakfast..." ♫ 



(I sure hope those are some beef steaks on that plate and not pork chops. Because that would just be creepy...)

http://www.porkstorecafe.com/

(Do not bother clicking on this web-site link right now. It seems to have problems with it and I can not get it to open correctly. I am mainly linking it here for [future?] reference.)


Place: Pork Store Cafe
Location: 1451 Haight Street (between Ashbury [Oh, geez! I just got now why they call this neighborhood "Haight-Ashbury".] Street and Masonic Avenue)
Hours: open at 7:00am Monday-Friday; open at 8:00am Saturday-Sunday
Meal: Green Benedict ~ scrambled eggs (Say whaaa'??? They will substitute these for poached eggs ~ which is exactly what I had done ~ to make it truly a Benedict dish, Arnold.) with asparagus over fresh avocado on toasted sourdough bread, topped with Hollandaise, served with grits or hash browned potatoes; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) Farmer Brothers® Coffee (I have no idea which roast/blend, though)

http://www.farmerbros.com/




(There is/are no EweToobular juxtaselection/s between dead, decaying porcine flesh and Aimee Mann or Christopher Penn's older brother or Bruce Springfield. I just like this cover version.)


I went back to Pork Store Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, September 13th, 2014) for breakfast this morning. I had been thinking about revisiting this restaurant from a month ago when I almost had to use them as another Breakfastarian Back-up "Plan 9 From Outer Space" due to ¡venga! empanadas not opening on time on Boxing Day. Pork Store Cafe was actually pretty busy for an early rainy-day Saturday morning; and I had arrived only about ten minutes after they had opened. I ended up sitting at the same end-of-the-counter stool that I had eaten at last time, too.

I like this place because, despite their moniker, they do offer a lot of alternative good ideas for stupid vegetarians to choose from. The other dishes that I was debating on getting this morning were either Pesto Feta Scramble (3 eggs scrambled with homemade pesto sundried tomato sauce [they make a point of noting on their menu: "pesto contains parsley and walnuts"; I think they have to legally state that for anyone with severe parsley allergies], "the vile weed" [which I would have, of course, nixed; and how come they never have a "the vile weed" allergy warning?], and Feta cheese, served with hash browned potatoes or grits, and choice of bread or biscuit) or the '49er (2 eggs any style with potatoes or grits, biscuits & sausage gravy or "veggie" [ugh!] gravy; I hear that it is optional to either stand or kneel when eating this dish). 

Surprisingly, they even offer a few dishes that feature the dead, decaying porky products for those of you that like that sort of thing.





While this dish may not have been as knock-yer-socks-off-stellar as last week's version of Eggs Benedict, I was tempted to remove at least one of my shoes in a celebratory motion... but the counter-waiter-server dude kept eyeing me suspiciously. I really liked that this was made with a good amount of asparagus (and I am glad it was, as this was the main reason that I passed up the Feta dish). I had completely forgotten that it also had avocado in it, and was very impressed with the amount of that green berry that was under the poached eggs, too. I also liked that this had sourdough toast (just one large slice, though) as its base in place of the same-ol'-same-ol' input from Mr. Thomas.

I would also like to point out that their version of hashbrowns (or "hash browned potatoes"... You say "potayto", I say "Mmm-mmm!") were extremely good.

Pork Store Cafe offers several choices for condimentary supplements: the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [Original Red Sauce], Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Cholula® Hot Sauce [Original]), El Yucateco® Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero (Red), and Frank's® RedHot (Original). Even with that impressive array of hot sauces, I still used some of my own Pepper Palace Gator Bite Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of just one of the poached eggs and some Dat'l Do-it® Zesty Chipotle Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) with the potatoes.


Th-th-that's all, f-f-f-folks!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Green Benedict ~ 6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment