Sunday, February 5, 2017

Kate's Kitchen


♪ "Another short stack of pancakes 
on the 405..." ♫ 



(Ha! This is almost exactly ["almost exactly"?] the same photo ~ angle/distance ~ as I had taken on my last visit there.)

http://kates-kitchensf.com/


Place: Kate's Kitchen
Location: 471 Haight Street (between Fillmore and Webster Streets)
Hours: open Monday at 9:00am, Tuesday - Saturday at 8:00am, and Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: Cornmeal Buttermilk Pancakes short stack (2) ~ with strawberries, banana, and (homemade [restaurant-made, whatever]) lemon curd; a side of homefries; and a cuppa (with 1-1/2 refillas) 
San Francisco Coffee Company ~ N'Arlins-style blend (with roasted chicory)




(Another 'blog-entry where there is/are no EweToobular juxtaselection/s. I just like Neko Case. Deal with it.)


It had been almost exactly ("almost exactly", again?) a year since I had last breakfasted at Kate's Kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 13th, 2016), so I figured it was about time for a return visit.

This is another place that also offers a good selection of breakfastary ideas (for vegetarians or not) that I still have yet to try:

Flanched Farney Garney or Carney (their menu has "Garney" printed on it, but their web-site has it as "Carney", Art) ~ the original flipped egg and cheese sandwich with home fries; 

"Veggie" (ugh!) Scramble ~ avocado, Cajun cauliflower, onion, roasted tomatoes, seared in a habanero salsa, Cotija cheese, eggs! (the "eggs!" seemed to have been added as an afterthought; probably to not confuse any Vegans into thinking that this dish consisted entirely of scrambled "veggies");

Texas Fries  ~ home fries topped with bacon, salsa, Cheddar, and sour cream; which I would have ordered without the crispy pork belly stuff and had an egg laid (placed) on top instead; 

or

French Toast Orgy ~ orange spice French toast topped with fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, and honey.

I also probably would have ordered a side of Hush Puppies ([6] beautifully deep-fried balls of cornmeal, served with Pooh butter [which I can only hope is some form of "honey-butter" and not something else]) with either of the first two choices; and a side of homefries with the last choice.




Because I do not normally order pancakes when I go out for breakfast, this was a nice change for me. These turned out to be two very LARGE pancakes; I am glad I went with the "Short Stack" (of just two) and not the "Tall Stack" (of four). It would have been way too much food for me with the additional side of potatoes (as it was, I left maybe two bites of pancake on the plate, but I did make sure to finish the entire side of potatoes). The homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) lemon curd really made this dish; the tartness was the perfect 
juxtataste to the sweet fruits and maple syrup (which I probably didn't really need to add, but did anyway). It did not state it on the weekend blackboard specials, but these pancakes also came with blueberries (which, like bananas, are an actual botanical berry; unlike that poser strawberry which is not an actual berry).

I really probably shouldn't have ordered any Coffee with breakfast as I still have more than a sufficient amount of my own Coffees at home that need to be drank-through. I ended up adding the fresh mint sprig[1] from the top of the pancakes stack to my Coffee; I must say, the mint and roasted chicory went very nicely together.

For condimentary supplements, Kate's Kitchen had Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce and Mezzetta® Brand California Habanero Hot Sauce Twist & Shout. I used some of my own Sunbelt Plantations Vidalia® Onion & Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Cornmeal Buttermilk Pancakes with strawberries, banana, blueberries, and (homemade [restaurant-made, whatever]) lemon curd ~ 6.8

___________________

1. Not really a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, but more of a stupid, useless etymological pointer of the day:

If you are curious like me and had ever wondered just what the heck a "sprig" is supposed to be. The English word "sprig" (meaning: "a shoot, twig or spray of a plant, shrub") probably comes from Old English "spræc" ("shoot, twig") of obscure origin. (cf. "sprag" and "spray")

No comments:

Post a Comment