Saturday, February 25, 2017

Dottie's True blue café


"I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them." 
~ Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People



(Hmmm?! It looks as if they no longer have an active web-site-thing.)


Place: Dottie's True blue café
Location: 26 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street); 
phonicular contact: (415) 885-2767
Hours: open Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Zucchini Cakes ~ topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara sauce, served with fruit & potatoes; and a glassa grapefruit juice


"Hey, Brian, didn't you just eat at Dottie's True blue café last month (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, January 14th, 2017)?" Do I tell you how to read my stupid 'blog-thing?! Then don't tell me how to eat for my stupid 'blog-thing. So, yeah, I went back there again this morning for breakfast. If'n youse gots a problem wif dat, take it up with Dottie herd*mnself!

It was a bit chilly waiting outside for Dottie's True blue café to open up. I had arrived about 7:10am and, even still, I was not the first idiot waiting in line. There was a group of four touristas already ahead of me in line. What kinda maroons would stand around for twenty-to-thirty minutes along a chilly, dirty South-of-Market Street corner just to eat breakfast?!

There were not that many other idiots/touristas waiting in line behind us when they first opened, but the joint did fill up pretty quickly, and there was a decent-sized line waiting to get in by the time I had finished eating. 





I have had this great Benedictine-style invention many, many, many, many times before for breakfast at Dottie's True blue café. It really is one of my favourite dishes in San Francisco. The best way to describe it is an Italiano take on plain ol' Eggs Benedict, just with a tasty speecy-spicy Marinara sauce in place of the standard Hollandaise sauce and zucchini cakes as the base instead of Mr. Thomas' boring ol' faux-crumpety output.

Today's fruits included: blueberries (botanically berries!); blackberries (not botanically berries!); red grapes (bb's!); strawberries (not bb's!); honeydew melon (not bb's!); and watermelon (bb's!).

I used some of the provided Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Chipotle Pepper Sauce) generously ('cause that's just the kinda guy I am) all over the potatoes. I didn't use any additional condimentary supplementation on the Zucchini Cakes... Would you have told Leonardo DiCaprio how to improve upon his masterpiece "Lisa the Moaner"?!


an Afternoon Bakery-snack Interlude-thing

(Sorry. There are no corresponding photos of this snack-meal. I did not know that I would be raving about it and did not bother bringing my camera with me this afternoon.)

Place: Jane the Bakery
Location: 1881 Geary Boulevard (on the corner of Steiner Street)
Hours: open daily at 7:00am
Snack-meal: Mushroom Tart and (some kinda) Cardamom Brioche/Bombolone-thing; and a cuppa their really good Bread & Butter House Coffee

http://www.itsjane.com/locations#jane-bakery




(Last week I completely missed this perfect EweToobular juxtaselection. It fits both the name of the restaurant and the "sweet" bakery aspect. Well, after the fact, one of my brothers [I don't remember which one it was. It must have been Nick, as he always seemed to secretly be a Headbanger.] suggested this old Velvet Underground song to me. 

Now, me, I am not much of a fan of Lewis Allan Reed's singing, so I figured this here version by Lone Justice [and apparently some guy they done drug-up from the audience who thinks he's Sonny Bono ~ Hey, dude, keep your day job as a banker; you'll never cut it as a real singer "... in a Rock-and/or-Roll band"!] would be much better. 

Besides, even if ol' Louie-boy decided to "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" and hitch-hiked his way across the U.S.A., plucked his eyebrows on the way, and shaved his legs, he'd never look as good in a skirt as Maria McKee did back then.)


"Holy Bomboloni, Batman!!!"

I would not normally write about an afternoon-ish dessert-snack-thing, but this is somewhat of a continuation from my breakfastary visit to Jane on Larkin (see previous 'blog-entry from last Sunday, February 19th, 2017). Plus, I really have to rave about their Cardamom Brioche/Bombolone-thing. 

I stopped by Jane the Bakery (which had newly opened up at this location in December 2016) this afternoon for a quick snack and a cuppa. I liked the Mushroom Tart well enough (it was made with large cuts of either Portobello mushroom or Shiitake and cheese melted on top ~ not sure if it was just Cheddar or Norwegian Jarlsberger, perhaps), but the real find here was their truly most awesome Cardamom Brioche/Bombolone-thing (for lack of a better name for it). 

When I had first purchased the pastry-softball, I just assumed that it was glazed with a cardomom syrup or something. It had some lemon zest stuck on top and I figured it was just a brioche pastry. However, when I bit into it, I was more-than-pleasantly-surprised to find it filled with an unbelievably tasty cardamom-custard! This dessert-pastry was much larger than a standard Italian bombolone (about twice as large), so I was not expecting that at all. Cardamom-custard?! Oh, yeah! And this combination really went great with their House Coffee, too.

It looks like I will be getting back to one of the Jane locations a lot sooner than I had originally thought.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.6;
Mushroom Tart ~ 7.1;
Cardamom Brioche/Bombolone-thing ~ 8.0 
(yeah, it was THAT good!);
Bread & Butter House Coffee ~ 7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment