Sunday, February 12, 2017

SoMa Inn Café


"There is no love sincerer than the love of food." ~ (George) Bernard Shaw[1]
Man and Superman[2]



http://somainncafe.com/

(Do not bother opening that web-site. I am just linking it for informational purposes. It is mainly an advert web-site from the idiots at GRUBHUB.)


Place: SoMa Inn Café
Location: 1082 Folsom Street (between 7th and 8th Streets)
Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Friday at 7:00am; open Saturday at 7:30am; and open Sunday at 8:00am
Meal: Mediterranean Omelet ~ baked egg-plant [ sic ][3], sweet pepper, tomato, pesto sauce, & Feta cheese, served with either home fries or hash browns, and toast or two pancakes; and a cuppa (with one refilla) Peet's Coffee® French Roast

http://www.peets.com/coffee/featured-category/all-coffees/french-roast.html


It has been almost two years since I first visited 
SoMa Inn Café (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 10th, 2015) and figured a return visit was warranted. I was the first customer of the morning (it was probably close to 8:15am already) and was greeted warmly by Joe (I only know his name as there were a few "regulars" that came in after I was there and they all greeted him as "Joe"), whom I can only assume is the owner/manager-guy.[4] I noticed a bit of an accent when speaking with Joe and asked him where he was from (I was assuming he was Arab) and he told me he was from Israel. He told me how to say "Thank you!" in Hebrew (which I forgot as soon as I walked out the door, of course). Unfortunately, the only Hebrew words that I remember any more are the numbers "1" through "5" and the phrase (which sounds something like) "Aysa Khatikha!" and means "What a nice *ss!"; however, I did not really think that would be appropriate to use to thank him for the good meal.

I am still not sure if there is actually any "Inn" associated with this "Café" or not. The next time that I go there, I will have to ask Joe about the name.

Their breakfast menu offers several other good ideas and I will have to plan to get back again (... in two years or so): Special Monterey Omelet (three eggs omelet, served with applewood smoke bacon [which I would always have nixed, Stevie], pesto basil sauce, fresh avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, home fried potato & choice of toast... [they actually added the "..." on their small specials menu]); Florentine Scramble (spinach, mushroom, artichoke hearts, eggs, & shredded cheese, served with choice of potatoes or toast); Banana Hot Cake [ sic, as two words and singular] 'N' 4 Berry Sauce (two jumbo cake [ sic, again singular] stuffed with fresh banana, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, and strawberry with powdered cinnamon sugar and whipped cream [Note: They previously had this on their menu as "'N' 3 Berry Sauce". They have now corrected the number of "berry" count; however, botanically, there are only two berries there: banana and blueberries.]); or, the most intriguing-sounding-of-all, Banana Streusel (French toast topped with fresh banana, berry [here they do not specify which berries are in this; I just hope the berries are not tomato, bell peppers, or eggplant] sauce, whipped cream & powder cinnamon sugar; this will have to be checked out on my next visit... in two years or so).

Do not worry, there are still plenty of other good ideas for those of you that are dead, decaying animal-fleshetarians. There was an interesting one that I noticed on their small specials menu: Country Benedict (grilled English muffin, topped with country sausage patty, poached eggs, country white gravy & scallion, served with home fried potatoes... [again, they added the "..." there]; somehow, I am thinking ol' Joey ain't exactly one of them Kosher Jews).





They offer a choice of either "organic" or "regular" eggs to be used in their omelettes and egg dishes. Not that I could ever tell the difference either in taste or in a side-by-each comparison, but I went with the "healthier" (per Joe) choice of "organic" eggs for my omelette. I liked that there was a good amount of eggplant (or "egg-plant") in the mixture. If I had just one little complaint, I would have liked a little more Feta in it, but I always want more Feta, anyway. (It's a Feta-ish thing with me. "Mo' Feta, mo' betta'!")

I went with the side choice of home fries over hashbrowns, but stupidly went with plain ol' sourdough toast instead of two pancakes! (D'oh! or [Sour]D'ough!). I really like having a choice between two different breakfastary potato side dishes. Plus, their version of homefries are a true work of art. They are made with a combination of white and red potatoes and have thin slices of (grilled) zucchini mixed in with white onions, scallions, and red bell peppers.

Once again, I was not planning on ordering any Coffee with breakfast this morning as I really need to use up all the Coffee I currently have at home, but I am weak, and, in my defense, Peet's Coffee® is very good Coffee. SoMa Inn Café offers two different roasts, too, French Roast and a House Blend (however, I didn't bother to ask which specific roast/blend that was).

For condimentary supplements, SoMa Inn Café had both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I just went with some of my own Dat'l Do-it® 
Spicy Jalapeno Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the omelette and some Laura Plantation Vidalia® Onion & Peach Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the potato-mixture.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Mediterranean Omelet ~ 6.7;
home fries (on their ownsome) ~ 7.4

___________________

1. Ol' Bernie was also of the stupid vegetarian sect.

2. Of course, the "Man" would be "Clark Kent" and the "Superman" would be "Kal-El".

3. Much like its confusing cousins, tomato and bell pepper, eggplant is not only botanically a fruit (or is that "fru-it"?), but also a berry (or "ber-ry"?).

4. Here is why you should not believe everything (anything?) you read on stupid yelp*. I had checked that Food-Nazi site last week to double-check what the hours of operation might actually be and saw a few (well, several) very negative reviews; these were mainly about how "rude" the owner is to customers and his employees. I can not corroborate any of that as both times that I have eaten there, I had a great experience (both in the food and friendly service). 

So, do like those Roman dentists always said: "Cavities are empty!" (Of course, my general distrust of yelp* 
reviews makes me think that it could very well be changed to "Cave Seruasse*!") 

No comments:

Post a Comment