Saturday, September 30, 2017

Andytown Coffee Roasters


"Gotta get Coffee
Gotta get Coffee
Gotta get Coffee

Won't you take me to
Andytown?
Won't you take me to
Andytown?
Won't you take me to
Andytown?
Won't you take me to
Andytown?... " ♫ 



http://www.andytownsf.com/


Place: Andytown Coffee Roasters

Location: 3655 Lawton Street 
(on the corner of 43rd Avenue)

Hours: open "7-5 everyday [ sic ]" 
(I mention "[ sic ]" there, because I think that it should actually read "every day" [as two words, not "everyday", the one-word adjectival form]. But what the h*ck do I know? I use completely madeuppery words like "breakfastary" and "condimentary" in this silly li'l 'blog-thing all the time.)

Meal:  one Cheddar-Jalapeño Corn Muffin;  one Chocolate-Pumpkin Scone; and, especially (seeing as this was the reason for the visit), a cuppa Wind & Sea Blend

"We wanted a Coffee to rejuvenate us after a long, hard Ocean Beach surf session. So, we created the Wind & Sea blend. A hearty mix of Colombian and Ethiopian Coffee, the Wind and Sea is sweet, bold, and well rounded. This blend is best paired with a foggy day[1]."




(Now, I have no idea whether either Crosby or Nash prefer their Coffee locally-roasted or if Andytown believes in Whale Conservation, but I figured this would be a much better EweToobular juxtaselection for today than any ol' songs by Andy Williams or Andy Griffith.)


In an attempt to keep trying new and varying places throughout my fair city, I am always open to suggestions of new (or untried) places. A few weeks back, after an afternoon snack at Saltroot Café (see previous 'blog-entry from Monday, February 20th, 2017), while talking to the owner guy-person about 
local Coffee joints in the city, he mentioned 
Andytown Coffee Roasters to me. This new(-ish, only opened since March 2014) coffeehouse fits both criteria: it is new (to me) and I had never been there before.

Andytown Coffee Roasters has a very local-neighborhoody feel to it. This shop is located only six blocks from Ocean Beach. There are currently three locations in the Outer Sunset. This location is the original spot and used to do all the roasting and baking duties; now it is just a coffeehouse and where the baking is done for all three shops. Now they have a much larger roasting facility which also serves as a storefront coffeehouse and retail shop. (I made sure to stop by there right after breakfast and check it out; there are some great gift ideas to be had... be forewarned, anyone getting a Christmas gift from me, expect some kinda Coffee-themed gift from 
Andytown Coffee Roasters.) Like the (also) Sunset District-local Snowbird Coffee, this place will probably be my "go-to" roastery for both gift Coffees and Coffees for my own use. (Okay, I did also buy an 
8 oz bagga their Ethiopia Natural Banko Fuafuate for later home-use. I plan on making a cuppa or two-a later today or at latest tomorrow morning. It smelled really good while I was grinding-up [-down?] the beans for use. I gotta say my entire kitchen smells absolutely great right now. [I don't know why the jeenyuses at Lysol® or Febreze® don't make a Coffee-scented aerosol; it seems like a no-brainer to me.])

http://www.andytownsf.com/purchase/ethiopia-natural-banko-fuafuate

This particular shop is a medium-size coffeehouse. The seating includes: one large table up front (as soon as you walk in) that can seat four to six people; four tables for two along the side wall (facing their bakery area); and four tables for two to four outside on the 43rd Avenue sidewalk side. There is also a long bench on the outside front wall which would be the perfect waiting area for any of your loyal pupsters. (When I first arrived, there was a small dog with his family of two seated there). There are even free fresh homemade (well, bakery-made) dog biscuits by the front door!





While this might not look like a whole lotta food for a simple breakfast, it really was more than sufficient for my early morning appetite. I am very happy to state that I enjoyed the baked-goods stuff just as much as my cuppa. I especially liked the corn muffin; it had a good amount of Cheddar cheese melted all over the muffin-top and just the right amount of sea salt sprinkled into the melted cheese. Both the scone and muffin were crunchy on the outside, but super-moist on the inside; this is something a lot of places can not get right ~ a scone should not/does not have to be as hard as a rock.

And now, down to brass tacks (if you like drinking a steaming cuppa push-pins  made of copper and zinc, that is), and the main reason for this trip "all the way over" to the Outer Sunset, just how good is their Coffee?! Well, I am verrry pleased to say that I liked the cuppa that I did have. Wind & Sea is their touchstone/paradigm and standard house-blend, it seems. They do not offer other roasts/blends as single-drip/pour-over cuppas at this location, but I was informed by one of the very friendly and knowledgeable barista-type guys-persons that you can get that specific style for a number of roasts/blends at one of their other coffeeshops (the one on the foggy far-reaches of Taraval Street, just one block away from Ocean Beach).

As far as any condimentary supplementations that may be available at Andytown Coffee Roasters, I have no idea. I did not ask and none were really needed today with my simple breakfastary fare. (See? I used two of my completely madeuppery words in the same paragraph even.)

The only questions that remain unanswered are: 
"Who is 'Andy'?" and "Why 'Andytown'?" The next time I go back there (and I will be going back), I will have to remember to ask them why they came up with that specific moniker.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Cheddar-Jalapeño Corn Muffin ~ 7.5;
Chocolate-Pumpkin Scone ~ 7.1;
Wind & Sea Blend ~ 7.3

___________________

1. If you know that area of the Outer Sunset*, you know that you will be able to pair this particular blend with about 367 days a year.

*(Much like I don't really have a separate Label for the "Inner" or "Outer" Richmond District[s], I am sticking with just the one "Sunset District" Label-designator, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment