Sunday, September 24, 2017

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


"Watch out now, take care
Beware of greedy leaders
They take away your Cliff House Popovers(!)... " ♫ 



https://cliffhouse.com/bistro/

(I was trying something a little different today. This photo was taken from atop Sutro Heights Park overlooking Cliff House.)


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Location: 1090 Point Lobos 
(at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach, "Since 1863... Where San Francisco Begins"[... and Society ends?!])

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am

Meal:  Thick Sliced Sourdough French Toast ~ maple syrup, crisp bacon (whether it is crisp or limp, no thanks), powdered sugar, and fresh apple compote; a basket of three (3) (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!); and a glassa Cliff House Classic Bloody Mary ~ Skyy Vodka, house mix of tomato juice/chili sauce/clam juice (which I made sure they nixed; even if I wasn't already a vegetarian, there should never be any reason to put clam juice in with decent Vodka or tomato juice, that is just wrong)/horseradish





(There are no EweToobular juxtaselections between French toast or Popovers[!] and either Wendy, George Harrison, or Frances Farmer [that I know of]. Johnette Napolitano happened to turn sixty on September 22nd, and I figured I would link a couple of her songs in her honour.)


To finally complete the Pre-Playoffs Workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I went back to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, June 3rd, 2017).





I have been going to the Bistro Restaurant at 
Cliff House for over twenty years now, and I think 
that this might be the first time that I had ever had their French toast. Believe me, it will not be my last time. While this may not be in the same category as 
Baker Street Bistro's Pain Perdu Extraordinaire (which is the Marilyn Monroe of French toast, of course), it is a very good version. Sometimes French toast can tend to be a bit on the soggy-side; however, this being made with thick slices of sourdough bread might be a factor in keeping it nice and crispy. The apple compote was nice and chunky and went very nicely with the added maple syrup on it. They were nice enough to substitute roasted potatoes for me this morning in place of the (crispy or soggy) dead, decaying porcine bits.

Now if someone could just figure out a way of making French toast outta Popovers(!), you'd have a perfect 8.5 Glen Bacon Scale meal. I actually mentioned this to my waiter/server guy-person, Chris (who has probably been working at Cliff House longer than I have been going there), and he told me that one of the workers takes home any leftover Popovers(!) and makes a delicious bread pudding out of them; I could see that being a great basis for that dessert ~ they are already eggy and fluffy. I did use a few drops of maple syrup on the last one of my Popovers(!) and it really went well, too.




The Bloody Mary was a full meal all in itself. It included: a stuffed olive, a yellow/green chilli pepper, a celery stalk, and a quarter of a lime. Even without the extra added Vitamin C from the fresh lime, tomato juice is pretty high in Vitamin C[1], anyway, making this a perfect breakfastary accompaniment.

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House has just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce for use as a condimentary supplement. I used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian and Amys!) on the potatoes and some Toad Sweat Chocolate Orange Dessert Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) on one quarter slice of the French toast. I specifically brought that "dessert hot sauce" with me because I was planning on ordering the French toast this morning and I hardly ever get a chance to use it normally with savoury dishes (it does get used occasionally on Ice Cream at home).




Hollywoodland Spotlight of the Day

On the wall behind me on the other side of my table, one of the autographed photos this morning was Frances Farmer (19 September 1913 – 1 August 1970). I do not think that I have ever seen a Frances Farmer movie; granted, her film career was not very long and off and on.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002068/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Thick Sliced Sourdough French Toast ~ 7.0;
Cliff House Classic Bloody Mary ~ 7.2;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2

___________________

1. Just as a comparison, a 3.5 oz glassa tomato juice has 70.1 mg Vitamin C, which is 84% of the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA). That equates to be about 192% for a 16 oz glassa. Similarly, a 16 oz glassa orange juice has 124.0 mg, which is 149% of the RDA.

(Sorry, I do not know what kinda RDA for Vitamin C Vodka possesses. These scientist-guys never give you the information on the really important stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment