Sunday, September 17, 2017

Mission Beach Cafe


Fannie Flagg would be very proud of this one...



http://mission-beach-cafe.cafes-city.com/

(Sorry. This will have to do. There is no official-type web-site no longer.)


Place: Mission Beach Cafe

Location: 198 Guerrero Street (on the corner of 14th Street); phonicular contact: (415) 861-0198

Hours: open at 9:00am(??? with no official-type web-site to confirm this, I had to rely on Bob Saget's food-'blog thing for the opening times) Sunday - Saturday for breakfast/"Brunch"

Meal:  Fried Green Tomato Benedict ~ caramelized onions, bacon (which I made sure bypassed this Whistle Stop, thank you), spicy roasted red pepper sauce, mixed greens salad; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) Linea Caffe S.F. (senza il grave accento) Brazil FAF João's Reserve

http://lineacaffe.com/




(There really is/are no EweToobular juxtaselections with this morning's music videos.)


I do not know why it has taken me this long to return to Mission Beach Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, September 7th, 2014); I seem to remember that I sufficiently liked my previous two visits there. However, if today's breakfastary input is any indication, I am sure that it will not be another three years (and ten days) before I return again.

For being bright and early on a sunny Sunday morning, the place really filled up very quickly. I was about the seventh person/group in line this morning, and once again I sat at the window counter-seating (and had the seat right next to the door, which was much welcomed due to a comfortably cool breeze coming in). 

(Not that I even thought twice about changing my mind after seeing the meal choice that I went with, which had caught my eye immediately upon viewing the Weekend "Brunch" Menu) there were several other great choices this weekend, too. To include:

Alan's Quiche ~ roasted purple cauliflower, rainbow carrots, spinach, mixed greens salad, Yukon gold potatoes;

(the succinctly named) Scramble ~ miatake mushrooms[1], spinach, heirloom cherry tomato, yellow squash, goat cheese;

Spinach & Mushroom Benedict ~ English muffin, caramelized onions, truffle Mornay, crispy Yukon gold potatoes, add bacon - 3 (No thanks!);

Mission Beach Dropped Eggs ~ 2 cage free eggs, organic pinto beans, spicy tomato sauce, crème fraiche [ sic ~ which I found funny because they gravely accented the "è" in "crème" on the menu, but did not feel like cîrcûmflêxîng the "î" in "fraîche"], guacamole, tortilla chips, add braised pulled pork - 4 (No, I will not!) (I can only assume this would be some kinda rendition of Shakshouka with a Chilaquiles-twist);

or

MBC[2] Vegan ~ farro, soy bean, corn, red peppers, English peas, artichoke hearts, cippolini, spinach (if I had not ordered the dish that I did this morning, I would have ordered this one... with a poached egg or two on top, just to mess with any of those smarmy Vegan bastages working in the kitchen).




Oh, yeah!

I knew right away that I was going to enjoy this meal immensely. The fried green tomato slices were the base (in place of those faux crumpet things of which 
Mr. Thomas is so proud) for this dish. The fried green tomatoes worked great, too. I also liked their spicy roasted red pepper sauce as a change from the standard Hollandaise sauce. I liked this dish so much that I am claiming this as "My Favourite 'New' Eggs Benedict Dish of 2017" (only Dottie's True blue café Zucchini Cakes edges it out in the 'Old' Eggs Benedict category for all of 2017, anyway).

They were nice enough to substitute crispy Yukon gold potatoes in place of the boring ol' rabbit-food stuff (and they even offered to do so before I asked). These were a very good version of homefries, too. I am not sure if these were deep-fried and/or oven-roasted, but they really did have a nice "crunch" to them.

On my first visit to Mission Beach Cafe, they offered exclusively Blue Bottle Coffee. Then on my second visit, they were serving only Flying Goat Coffee. Now they have Linea Caffe S.F. (see previous 'blog-entry reference from Sunday, November 3rd, 2013), which really is a very local, small roastery. They are located just six blocks away in the Mission. I have had their Coffee a few times now and it has always been well received. Of the three brands, I think I enjoyed 
Flying Goat Coffee most.

http://lineacaffe.com/product/brazil-faf-joaos-reserve/

The only thing I saw offered in the way of any condimentary supplements were clear, unlabeled bottles of a red hot sauce on all the tables. I asked if (and correctly guessed that) these were Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some of my own Pepper Palace Chocolate Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) very liberally ("Yay! We are free to use as much hot sauce as we like!") all over the potatoes (and this turned out to be the perfect "compliment" to the potatoes, too) and some 
Sunbelt Plantations Vidalia® Onion Picante Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg![3]) on top of just one of the poached eggs (this really turned out to be superfluous, as their spicy roasted red pepper sauce was pretty flavourful all on its ownsome).

Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Fried Green Tomato Benedict ~ 7.55;
Linea Caffe S.F. Brazil FAF João's Reserve ~ 7.1

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-botanical pointer of the day:

"Miatake" ("舞茸") in Japanese means "dancing mushroom" (hence, calling these "miatake mushrooms" is  a redundant redundancy).

Grifola frondosa is a polypore mushroom that grows in clusters at the base of trees, particularly oaks. The mushroom is commonly known among English speakers as hen of the woods, hen-of-the-woods, ram's head, and sheep's head.

http://www.indexfungorum.org/Names/NamesRecord.asp?RecordID=362177

2. They did not specify exactly what the initials "MBC"" stood for anywhere on the menu. When I asked if this was in reference to some kinda Ay-rab TeeVee channel*, they looked at me strangely.

*(Okay, you may need to Google "MBC" to get that stupid joke.)

3. "Hey, Brian! Why does it seem like you are all the time thanking these same two people?"

Well, mainly, because of the 24 bottles of hot sauces currently in my refrigerator (taking up an entire d*mn shelf on the door, too), only 4 were actually purchased by myself. Greg & Cindy (and Cindy & Greg) gifted me 7 of these bottles (and if my Common Core Math is correct, that is, like, half of what I have); my mother gave me 11 bottles; and my brother Sean is responsible for the last 2 bottles.


No comments:

Post a Comment