Sunday, May 6, 2018

Home Plate


♪ "Home (Plate) is where I want to be...

Never for money, always for love..." ♫ 



https://www.homeplatesf.net/

(New location, new web-site.)


Place: Home Plate

(new) Location:  2150 Lombard Street 
(between Fillmore and Steiner Streets)

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Friday at 7:00am, and Sunday - Saturday at 7:00am 

Meal: Garden Omelette ~ mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, scallion, bell peppers, spinach, avocado, Cheddar cheese, served with salad (read: your basic bo-ring rabbit-food mixed lettuce-stuff) and potato medley or potato latkes (add $2.00 for fresh fruit instead of potatoes ~ which only an idiot would ever do), sourdough toast; plus, all breakfasts still come with a complimentary mini-scone with two different homemade (well, Home Plate-made) jams (I think today's tasty offerings were mango and strawberry); and a larga glassa (Honeydew) Melon juice/drink





(You only wish that you were cool enough to wear an over-sized suit-coat and dance with a floor-lamp!)[1]


Normally I try to get back to Home Plate (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, February 26th, 2017) at least once a year before the Baseball Season has begun and that has generally been in mid-late February. Luckily for me, I waited a few extra months as I probably would have gone over there during their recent relocation when they were closed.




Home Plate has moved one block eastward on Lombard Street. You would be surprised how much difference one block can make. This is such a better location business-wise. It is a much larger space, too. I am sure they will double their already busy business. They have been relocated now since Presidents Day Weekend in the space that used to house Bay Watch Restaurant (and formerly First Watch Restaurant) for many years (and directly across the street from one of the Mel's drive-ins). They have completely refurbished the interior and it has a much more "upscaley" décor now. I kinda liked their old more "Homey (Plate)" feeling better. At least, they still have old photos of Baseball players on the walls (even if some of them are of old Y*nkees players).

I have enjoyed going to this little Thai-family-owned restaurant for many years now and am glad to see that they did not close shop. 

Some other interesting ideas that I was idea-ing:

Dulce de Leche Pancakes ~ banana, caramel, sliced almond[ sic ] and whipped cream (I do want to try this dish one of these days; however, I really was not in the mood for a "sweet" breakfast; plus, I just [sorta] had "pancakes" for breakfast yesterday);

Marco Polo (Benedict) ~ two poached eggs, turkey, tomatoes, avocado, served on English muffin, Hollandaise sauce with salad and potato medley or potato latkes (add $2.00 for fresh fruit instead of potatoes ~ "NO!") (of course, if I were to order this one, it would be without the dead, decaying barnyard-foul-fowl; I am trying to figure out why they named this dish after an Italian explorer of the Orient ~ all of the special ingredients are New World items and none would have been available anywhere in either Europe or Asia in the 13th Century);

Spinach Frittata ~ spinach, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, served with potato medley or potato latkes (add $2.00 for Fresh fruit instead of potatoes ~ still "NO!"), sourdough toast (I have had this a few time before, but it bears repeating, Yogi);

or 

Greek Frittata ~ spinach, tomatoes, Calamata
[ sic ] olives, Feta cheese (I have also had this a few time before, but it is so good that it doubly-bears repeating, Boo-Boo).

And for those of you that partake of the dead, decaying aquatic insects, there is also the Bangkok Frittata ~ shrimps[ sics ; now why the have "shrimps" in the plural and "almond" only singular... immano! ], tomato, mushrooms, scallion, herbs.




(This was ~ well, it still is ~ located directly across the street from Home Plate's old location.)


Oh, no! My closest local IHOP® Restaurant in San Francisco has closed?! Now where the h*ck am I supposed to get my freebie Rudy-Tudy-Fresh-and-Frudy Birthday Breakfast?!? (There is actually another remaining location on Beach Street in the Fisherman's Wharf area; however, that would mean dealing with even harder parking and even more touristas.) 

(And good luck trying to lease out this large space and building with its iconic Swiss château-style peaks. At least it does come with its own adjacent parking lot.)




I liked this omelette and its ingredients combination. 'nuff said, McGreevy! This was one HUGE omelette! 
I just managed to finish it all... well, except for a bite or three...

They are now serving a medley of rainbow potatos 
(Yeah, I am well-aware it should be "potatoes", James Danforth, but it looks so much nicer with seven letters and rainbow-colouring) as their breakfast side; it included Yukon gold potatos, purple/blue potatos, red potatos, and sweet potatos. Checking my past few 'blog-entries at this place, this is a new addition. They used to offer hashbrowns and not this current version of homefries/roasted potatoes (or potatos). These were very good, but I will probably opt for their option of potato latkes in future visits ~ those are extremely tasty!

Home Plate offers both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original) for use as condimentary supplements. I am still trying to get to the bottom of my bottle of Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!), so I used a little more of it on the rainbow potatos. (Sheesh! This bottle must be a corn-u-cope-ee-ya! It is taking me forever to use it up.) I also used a light dusting of Charlie's Chili Stuff (Thanks, Sharon! ~ Charlie may not surf, but he sure knows his chilli-powder!) on top of the omelette.

New location, new (old?) web-site (again, finally), new potatos medley; same great old food!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Garden Omelette ~ 7.1;
complimentary mini-scone with jams ~ 7.3

___________________

1. Yeah, I probably have used this song ~ and this exact video ~ (several times?) before, but it is not only my favourite Talking Heads song, it is also one of my 
All-Time Favourite Songs of All-Time. So deal with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment