Sunday, May 20, 2018

Louis'


♪ "Between the Omelette and 
the Deep Blue Sea... " ♫ ???



http://louissf.com/index.html/


Place: Louis'

Location: 902 Point Lobos Avenue
(somewhere between 48th Avenue and the Great Highway-ish)

Hours: open 6:30am everyday[ sic ]

Meal: "Build Your Own" Omelette (with Feta, spinach, and tomatoes) ~ three cage free eggs served with potatoes and English muffin; and a cuppa (and one refilla) Peerless Coffee & Tea® (I did not ask which blend/roast they serve, though)

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/





(What's with today's EweToobular juxtaselections? Simples! I have it under good authority [How come you never hear about anyone having it "under bad authority"?] that ol' Satchelmouth himself was a big Feta and spinach fan.)


With today's running of another Bay-to-Beer "race" (since 1912) gumming-up my neighborhood streets, I thought it best to keep my breakfastary sojourn as local as possible, so I took a 38-Local all the way down the street (it beat walking the seventeen blocks to-and-fro; plus, it was pretty d*rn windy and chilly this morning to boot ~ which is usually the weather-norm for Bay-to-Beer "race"-days) to Louis' (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, October 2nd, 2011).

https://www.baytobreakers.com/

As close as this place is to where I live, I do not think that I have eaten there but a handful of times in the 
30-plus years that I have lived in San Francisco; and, probably, just two or three of those visits have been breakfastarily. This is no fault of the diner/restaurant-joint itself; there really is just not that much from which to choose on the menu for stupid vegetarians is all.

This morning I sat at the mini/three-seater diner-counter area. I was offered any of the empty booths right along the window, but I didn't want to "steal" a booth if a larger group came in and needed/wanted one. However, as it turned out, I was in and out so early this morning there remained three booths still empty the entire time that I was there, so I could have had an entire booth to myself... oh, well. Usually by 9:00am, the (rather smallish) place will be full and there will be a line ~ out the door onto the sidewalk ~ waiting to get in.




Even if I did not have these views from where I was sitting, I only had to turn around or get up and go over to one of the windows to see the views. And there is never an extra charge for these Million Dollar Views. I even saw one whale ~ either a California Gray Whale (Eschrichtius robustus)[1] or a Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae)[2] ~ unfortunatley, it breeched too quickly for me to really see which it might have been (like I could really tell the difference even if they were swimming side-by-each). It was just off the coast (less than a hundred yards really) past Seal Rocks[3]/Lands End[4]/Sutro Baths[5].

Strange Memory/Mind-losing Interlude

This morning when I got up and before I was preparing to go out for breakfast, I could not locate some of my notes that I keep on these silly little breakfast visits. (Yes, I do actually keep notes on actual paper. I still refuse to go back to the future into the 21st Century and get me one of them new-fangled mobular devices with which to keep notes/information.) It took me about an hour (and, sadly, that is not an exaggeration) to finally discover where I had put them yesterday. I found them inside one of the reference books (and, yes, I do still use actual printed materials for reference sources; not everything can be found so quickly on these-here World Wild Webs-things) that I used yesterday to look up the information on "sheriff"[6]. While searching manically, I almost swore that I was the victim of a Little Green Men abduction (it is a well-known fact that those sneaky little bastages love a good omelette or crêpes) or an NSA subversive plot (you would be surprised at just how far our government is willing to go trying to keep us from enjoying our early-morning repasts).





As for the actual omelette-review part of this 'blog-thing, it was a simple-enough rendition and much better'n I could ever manage (luckily this was not a "Make Your Own" Omelette... ). It included lotsa spinach in it, but I felt that it coulda used a bit more Feta (this is my standard complaint with most places, anyway).

Louis' has only Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce for use as a condimentary supplement. No biggie, as I finally got to use up the last drops of my Palo Alto Firefighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes. (Now I am down to only thirty bottles of hot sauces on my refrigerator door shelves.) Additionally, I used a little of my own Great Wall Wasabi Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on half of the omelette.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
"BYO" Omelette ~ 6.0;
Million Dollar Views ~ 8.2 (with tax and tip included)

___________________

1. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/whales/gray-whale.html

2. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/whales/humpback-whale.html

3. https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/historyculture/upload/Seal_Rocks_sr-2014.pdf

4. https://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/landsend.htm

5. https://www.nps.gov/goga/upload/sb-clho-2008.pdf

6. "A Concise Etymological Dictionary of the English Language" by the Rev. Walter W. Skeat Litt.D., LL.D., D.C.L.. Ph.D. (I bet he made up half of those titles, though). My copy is only a paperback version of a book that dates from the 1890's, and I find it very useful when looking up older meanings for English words and stuff.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/a-concise-etymological-dictionary-of-the-english-language_walter-w-skeat/18168653/?mkwid=s5F8Qd4T0%7cdc&pcrid=70112885352&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5iR2fSU2wIVkVqGCh1-5wzUEAQYASABEgL1AvD_BwE#isbn=0399500499&idiq=4340036

No comments:

Post a Comment