Saturday, May 26, 2018

Boogaloos


When one (restaurant) door closes (insert sad emoji-face here), another opens (insert happy emoji-face here)... ?![1]



https://boogaloossf.com/


Place: Boogaloos

Location: (back to) 3296 22nd Street
(on the corner of Valencia Street once again)

Hours: open daily 8:00am

Meal: Funky Scram (with red onion, Spanish olive, Jack cheese, and Vegan sausage) ~ 2 eggs scrambled with your favorite ingredients, served with homefries and choice of: sourdough, wheat, rye, English muffin, biscuit, corn muffin, OR blueberry Coffee cake; and a cuppa (and one refilla) Peerless Coffee & Tea® (like last weekend, I forgot to ask what their house-blend might be)

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/




(Yes, I know that should read "Open Every [space] Day". But who would be silly enough to add the extraneous "[space]" to their signage?!)





(And you thought that Batman only knew how to do the Batusi.)[2]


I am very happy to report (or 'blog-about, even) that Boogaloos (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, September 16th, 2017) has finally reopened in its newly-renovated old-drugstore space that they originally had occupied since 1994. This location had been closed since May(-ish) 2016 due to a fire (and it seems some kinda long, re-negotiating with the owner for a fairer rental price, too) and just reopened early last month. They had been operating solely as a "Pop-up" at Parada 22 Comida Puertorriqueña on Haight Street for the past two years (for breakfasts only, though).

One of the major renovations that I immediately 
noticed was that they now  have a much higher ceiling, with a brand new skylight, and there are also several windows high up along both street-facing walls that had been covered or blocked entirely in the past. This gives the joint a much airier and open feel to it.

(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

Because I had arrived (well, with this specific purpose) about a half-hour before Boogaloos was due to open for breakfast, I headed over to Ritual Coffee (their shop on Valencia Street, which was just a block down the street from breakfast, anyway), where I had a mighty fine cuppa their El Pajal (a Guatemalan bean). This was prepared in the pour-over/single-drip méthode.

https://www.ritualroasters.com/




Now this was a very nice combination of ingredients and flavours (if I do say so myself ~ and I do say so myself!). I like that you can mix-n-match stuff off "the Playlist" for both Scrams and DJ's Omelets. There are lots of good items from which to choose even for stupid vegetarian-types (those smarmy Veganites do not seem to go in much for scrambled eggs for some reason).

I went with a corn muffin as my bread/toast choice (otherwise, I was thinking of either the biscuit or blueberry Coffee cake; I can make plain ol' boring toast myself at home any day).

Thankfully, even after a two-year long hiatus, I am 
ex-tremely ex-tatic that they still serve the same great homefries!

As had become my tradition whenever eating breakfastarily at Boogaloos, I added some maple syrup in my Coffee (mainly because they have maple syrup pourer-jars on all the tables).

For condimentary supplementation, Boogaloos only had Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce now (before the fire, they used to have their own homemade ~ well, Boogaloos-made ~ bottles of a very tasty habanero hot sauce; hopefully, once they are back up and running for a bit, they will reinstate that hot sauce). I used some of my own Dixie Crossroads Hot Habañero[ sic ] Pepper Sauce (Thañks, Briañ!) on the potatoes and some Old St. Augustiñe Sñake Bite 
Datil Pepper Sauce (Thañks, Greg & Ciñdy!) on the scrambled mess.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Ritual Coffee - El Pajal ~ 7.1;
Funky Scram ~ 6.5

___________________

1. Oh-no!

Sadly, last weekend while I was walking around along Clement Street, I discovered that grindz (see last 'blog-entry ~ and, by which, I mean "last 'blog-entry ever" now apparently ~ from Saturday, February 17th, 2018) has closed up shop (since April, possibly) and moved to some place called "Hawai'i". That sounds like a completely madeuppery place name to me...

Oh, well. Six years in operation was a pretty decent run for San Francisco restaurant-joint standards.

*(Okay, to get that silly pun, you would have to know that:
1) grindz was originally called "Ono Grindz"
and
2) that "ono" is Hawai'ianese for "very tasty, braddah!" [You can consider that your "stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day"... or not.])

2. ¿Qué es un "bugalú"?

http://www.salsacrazy.com/salsaroots/boogalu.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment