Friday, November 23, 2018

Sandy's Café


A(nother sorta) breakfastary roadtrip:
Gilroy, CA



https://sandyscafe.business.site/


Place: Sandy's Café

Location: 6120 Monterey Street, Gilroy, CA 

Hours: open every day at 6:00am

Meal: (me) Sandy's Skillet Special ~ prepared with country (of unspecified ethnicity) potatoes, onion, ham (which I mad sure to have them excise), Cheddar cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, and green (bell) peppers, topped with (2) eggs any style (where my "style" was "over-medium" this morning), and a choice of toast (my toasty choice was sourdough); 
(Dave) Steve's Country Benedict ~ two poached eggs on a buttermilk biscuit and country sausage (I am not sure if the country from which this sausage originated is the same as the potatoes' native land), topped with country gravy, served with hash browns or country potatoes (Dave smartly went with the hashbrown-choice, which I agreed with 100%);
to drink: both Dave and I had cuppas the house Coffee (and a refilla or two apiece)






(There are no EweToobular juxtaselections with today's songs. I am just "thankful" for the music of 
Sir George Ivan.

Okay, maybe Shana ain't that Welshman-like-person, Sir Thomas John Woodward, but ol' Tom Jones would not look half as good in that dress.)


As has become a (new-ish) tradition for me, after being stuffed with a large Thanksgiving dinner at my friend Dave's house in Gilroy, I will usually spend the night in lieu of the hour-and-a-half drive all the way home back to San Francicopolis (you would be surprised at the amount of tryptophan that is in sweet potatoes). The next morning (for some reason, the morning after Thanksgiving fell on a Friday this year) we will head out to a local breakfast joint in the Greater Gilroy Area (of which there are less choices than you might imagine). We simply headed back to Sandy's Café (see last 'blog-entry from November 24th, 2017) ~ which really ain't a bad choice, no way, anyway.

If I lived in the Greater Gilroy Area, I am pretty sure this great little local place would be a fixture in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. Not only have I never had a bad meal there, they offer a lotta other good choices (even for stupid vegetarian-types) for breakfast. There are twenty (20) different omelettes from which to choose. Their omelettes are absolutely HUGE, too; they are made with four (4) eggs and served with hashbrowns or fruit and choice of toast or one (1) pancake.

Additionally, they offer daily/weekendly specials. Today's special was a Banana Waffle. I almost went with this choice, and most definitely would have if they made it with the banana slices in the waffle batter. I asked, and was told that they serve this as a large Belgian waffle with the bananas just on top with whipped cream. That did sound good, but I would have liked my idea better.

Strangely enough, they do not list any sort of Huevos Rancheros dish on their menu. If they had, I was definitely gonna go with that as my meal this morning instead.




It really did not matter if I waffled on them not having any Mexican egg dishes, as my choice turned out to be extremely tasty, all the same. It was pretty simple in construction, but I felt that they did a great job of the ratio of potatoes (as the base of the dish) to mushrooms/tomatoes/green (bell) peppers/
onions. Our waitress/server-lady person forgot my side of sourdough toast; however, this was not missed (or needed) in any way due to the large portion of the meal.

I think that Dave's meal was basically the same one that he had ordered last year. It looks like they have just renamed it the much more cool-sounding "Steve's Country Benedict" now. This was the first dish that caught my eye and I told Dave that he had to get it. (Hey, I might be a long-time stupid vegetarian, but that does not mean that I can not live vicariously through my carnivorous friends). It really did not matter, as Dave had also seen it right away and was already planning on ordering it, too. I really liked that they had the buttermilk biscuit (halved) as the base for the dish (fresh buttermilk biscuits beat crummy ol' Mr. Thomas' faux crumpets any day).

The only thing that I saw available on the tables as condimentary supplementation was Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and A.1. Original Sauce®. I initially used some Tapatío® on top of both of the eggs. After eating about half of the pile of food, I added some A.1.® to it for extra measure. When we were paying for the meal at the front counter, I noticed two other hot sauces in their display case under the cash register: The Pepper Plant® Original California Style Hot Pepper Sauce and one other u/i hot sauce. I wish I had know that those were also available, as I would probably have tried one or both on my meal.


I have never cried while eating any humble pie at Thanksgiving, but I have found that, when necessary, humble pie tastes best with a large dollop of self-righteous whipped cream on top.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Sandy's Skillet Special ~ 6.5;
Steve's Country Benedict ~ 6.8
(even though I did not actually bother quizzing Dave for his GBS Rating input, from the way that he seemed to enjoy his meal, I am going with this rating; besides, I am always impressed with any different take on boring ol' Eggs Benedict dishes)

No comments:

Post a Comment