Sunday, November 4, 2018

Pork Store Cafe


I really hate Daylight St*pid Time. It is basically a governmentally-enforced temporal chiaroscuro[1].



http://pscsf.com/


Place: Pork Store Cafe

Location: 1451 Haight Street 
(between Ashbury Street and Masonic Avenue)

Hours: open at 7:00am Monday-Friday; open at 8:00am Saturday-Sunday

Meal: Scralifornia ~ scrambled eggs with avocado, Feta cheese and fresh salsa, served with hash browns and a biscuit or toast; and to drink a large glassa fresh squeeze[ sic ] orange juice



(See?! Even a dumb ol' porker knows to be fan of the Good Guys and not a D*mn Y*nkees or D*dgers fan. Go RED SOX!!!)





(Just remember what that soothsayer said to ol' Julio Caesar hisd*mself: "Beware the Daylight St*pid Time!" 

[Yeah, you get a twofer EweToobular juxtaselection today from Concrete Blonde and Johnette Napolitano.])


Due to this whole Daylight St*pid Time-change this morning, I wanted to make a return visit to a place that opened up early enough (before 9:00am, at least), so I went back to the Haight-Ashbury Pork Store Cafe 
(see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 4th, 2017). As it was, I arrived there around 8:06am and there were already several other early-risers (or idiots like me that had woken up an hour earlier than necessary due to Daylight St*pid Time, too) inside. 

(One good thing, that early on a Sunday morning it is pretty easy finding a close-by parking spot. I parked right around the corner on Ashbury Street, which was nice, because I always Haight trying to remember where I parked my car.)

Not only do they open up early enough for my tastes, they offer a pretty tasty menu that is diversely stupid vegetarian-friendly, too. A few other ideas that I could have gone with were:

Santa Fe Scramble ~ vegetarian chorizo scrambled with eggs, Cheddar cheese and sour cream on top, sides include red chili beans and cornbread;

Pesto Feta Scramble ~ 3 eggs scrambled with homemade (well, Pork Store-made) pesto, sundried tomato sauce, br*ccoli (which I probably would have had 86-ed), and Feta cheese; they actually have this parenthetical statement added on their menu: "(Pesto contains parsley and walnuts)", just in case anyone has parsley-allergies, I suppose;

or

Grit Benedict ~ two spinach grit patties, bacon (which would also have to be 86-ed, Glen), and poached eggs topped with Hollandaise sauce, side includes grilled basil garlic tomatoes (this one just might have to be my choice the next time that I visit there).





Per the suggestion of my Scandinavian (of unspecified country-origin; she coulda been Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish for all I know; I forgot to ask, but from her accent I just figured she was one of those) server/waitress-lady person, I had them put the "hot" salsa on the side (it came in a separate ramekin). She informed me that way the scrambled portion would not get all "smooshy" (hey, I learned a new Scandinavian word today!). (I put the word "hot" in quotation marks there not to reference its level of spiciness ~ which was actually pretty mild, but because it actually came served heated-up.)

There really wasn't much finesse (or Scandinavesse) to this scramble. It was just eggs with lots of Feta and avocado throughout, which was good, as both of those ingredients were my main reason for going with this dish this morning, anyway. 

"Wait a minute... Feta, avocado, and salsa, Brian? That sounds like a pretty strange combination." Well, just remember that Αλέξης Ζορμπάς was played by a Mexican-Irish in that 1964 film.

I went with their biscuit option (even I can make toast at home myself) and was pleased to get two (not one) fresh-baked biscuits. I also went with a substitution of grits in place of the hashbrowns; I just thought it would be a good complement to the biscuits.

When they first brought the plate out, it did not look like a whole lotta food, but with the amount of "greets" and the two biscuits, it was more than enough for me, after all.

The orange juice was definitely fresh squeeze[ sic ] and was extra-pulpy just the way I like it.

For condimentary supplements, Pork Store Cafe 
offered on all the tables the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [Original Red Sauce], Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Cholula® Hot Sauce [Original]); plus, El Yucateco® XXXtra Picante Salsa Kutbil-ik de Chile Habanero and Frank's® RedHot® (Original). Even with that vast selection, I still used some of my own Dancing Dragon Cayenne Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) in the "greets" and several grinds of grains of paradise all over both the scramble and the "greets".


Do you think that people with dyslexia take penicillin twice a year to combat the effects of DST?!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Scralifornia ~ 6.4

___________________

1. Okay, so maybe "chiaroscuro" really doesn't make a lotta sense in this use, but I wanted a good 50¢-word to go along with today's EweToobular juxtaselections and that was the best that I could come up with, Signore Caravaggio.

No comments:

Post a Comment