Sunday, January 27, 2019

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


'blog-post-thing the One After 999

(plus)

Raccoon Island Discovery Day ~ Anniversary the 5th



https://cliffhouse.com/bistro/


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Location: 1090 Point Lobos
(at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach)

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am

Meal: Joe's (not-really-so-very) Special (I-suppose-when-you-excise-the-dead-decaying-grinded-up-bovine-flesh) Scramble ~ scrambled eggs with sautéed ground beef (which I made sure to have éighty-sixéd), onions, mushrooms, spinach, topped with Parmesan cheese, served with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes; once again, to drink, a Ramos Fizz ~ Gordon's gin | sweet & sour | egg whites | cream | orange flower water; and, as always, a basket of (World) Famous 
Cliff House Popovers(!) with two hot, fresh outta the oven







I had not originally planned for my 1,000th 'blog-entry to include (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!); however, when I saw that I was closing in on the ten-century mark, anyway, I made sure to adjust my breakfast trips so that this would indeed happen. Because of which, I ventured back to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, September 16th, 2018) to close-out the early 2019 workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. I arrived almost exactly at 8:30am this morning. I was the first one in line and was admitted as soon as they had opened, so I was assured of getting a great viewing table along the west-facing window-wall overlooking Seal Rocks and Ocean Beach.

I have had all of their vegetarian-viable breakfast options many times over now and really have nothing to complain about as they are always worth reordering. However, I really wish they did still offered a Greek Scramble (it was one of the better versions in the city and was made with authentic Kalamata olives and Greek Feta); this exclusion is very strange, 'cause the owners of the restaurant are actually Greek themselves.




Today's scramble included a profusely perfect preponderance of spinach that would make even Popeye profoundly proud.

Even though there were only two (World) Famous 
Cliff House Popovers(!), those were sufficient for me this morning. I promptly ate both of them (with butter and marmalade on one and butter and strawberry jam on the other ~ "Get 'em while they're hot!") even before the meal had arrived.

This morning's side of fresh fruits was/were: watermelon, (red) grapes, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon.

Needless to say, it was all a very-good-portioned breakfast for my moderate appetite. Even so, after the meal, they had the "noive" to try and tempt me with any of their desserts!!! (Warm Triple Fudge Brownie [salted caramel sauce & Chantilly cream] or Peanut Butter Cheesecake [candied peanuts, fudge sauce & Chantilly cream], anyone?!)

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) for use as a condimentary supplement. So I just used some of my own Tijuana Flats Tex-Mex Smack My *ss and Call Me Santa (Thanks, Rick!) on the scramble-mess and some Laura Plantation Vidalia® Onion & Peach Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes.




Hollywoodland Spotlight of the Day

This photo was just overlooking my right shoulder during breakfast. Of course, almost anyone that has been a child since 1939 knows that Frank Morgan (born Francis Phillip Wuppermann; June 1, 1890 – September 18, 1949) played the titular character (along with a few other roles in the movie) in "the Wizard of Oz"[1]. I just love that his photo is directly above the one of Frances Gumm (the lesser-known of the Gumm Sisters, of course).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604656/






Raccoon Island Discovery Day Anniversary Strange Interlude ~ 2019

Those ungrateful little masked rat-bastages! On the fifth anniversary of my "discoverying" Raccoon Island, I had fully prepared to share with them some purloined (unsalted) roasted peanuts and illegal Zante currants! However, there were none to be found when I arrived at the shores across from Raccoon Island this morning after breakfast. (Okay, it was 9:30am, and they really all shoulda been asleep by then, anyway, but still... ) The only wildlife present were several Grey Squirrels (the top photo shows how large they can get when people keep incessantly feeding them). The middle photo is of a couple of female Ring-necked Ducks (Aythya collaris) that usually only show up in Golden Gate Park in Winter and early-Spring.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Joe's (not-really-so-very) Special (I-suppose-when-you-excise-the-dead-decaying-grinded-up-bovine-flesh) Scramble ~ 6.6;
Ramos Fizz ~ 7.0;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.22;
Raccoon Island environs and its autochthonic wildlife ~ 8.5

___________________

1. W. C. Fields was originally chosen for the role of the Wizard, but Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios ran out of patience after protracted haggling over his fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment