Sunday, October 20, 2019

Eats




https://www.eatsrestaurantsf.com/


Place: Eats

Location:  50 Clement Street
(on the corner of 2nd Avenue)

Hours: open Monday - Sunday at 8:00am

Meal: (one) Waffle Berries & Crème (v) ~ homemade waffle(s) topped with honey butter, whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and dusted with powdered sugar; a side of Excellent! Homefries; and a large glassa Refresher ~ cucumber, pineapple, romaine[1] to drink




(Maybe this song woulda made more sense if today's date happened to be October 17th [and thirty years ago]. Close enough for government [and 'blog-] work.)


For a weekend Double-Header (or Double-Play) for the Post-Season Workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I went back to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, October 19th, 2019... so, yesterday) again this morning.

I sat inside again this morning. I probably coulda sat outside (it was a bit on the cool side, but I did have on a sweatshirt and another sweat-jacket-thing), but I had gotten there just as they were opening and had no problem getting one of the inside small tables for two (which, surprisingly, also seats one).




There was really nothing extra-special about the single waffle (I went with a one waffle choice because I knew that I also wanted to order their Excellent! Homefries and would not have been able to finish a two waffles and potatoes order), but I did like all the fruits (which included two different types of berries [that would be: blueberries and bananas] and strawberries) and whipped cream on top.

Now, as usual, their version of homefries was truly Excellent! (hence my nickname for this menu item). Today's pile included six nicely roasted and caramelized garlic cloves and lotsa fresh rosemary sprigs. I woulda liked the potatoes to have been a little bit more on the crispied-up side, but I had gotten there kinda early in the morning and the grill may not have had time to sufficiently brown them up yet.

As for the Refresher drink, yeah, its nookular colour and ingredients do look and sound kinda disgusting, but the cucumbers and romaine lettuce actually worked well enough with the freshly-juiced pineapples. If I were ever to make a similar juiced-up drink myself at home (well, of course, I would first need to buy some cucumbers, romaine lettuce, and a pineapple... and probably an actual juicer of some sort), I might think about adding another element or two. I bet some fresh ginger (which I would also need to buy) or some fresh rosemary (which I could easily steal from a number of gardens or front yards in my neighborhood; 'round these parts, the stuff grows like a weed... albeit, a very nice, aromatic weed) would be nice flavour additions.

For condimentary supplementation, Eats has... well, same as yesterday... I did get to try some of the ?new? Mead and Mead Maple Syrup on my waffle. The waffle dish probably really did not need any extra sweetening, but it was authentic New Englander 100% maple syrup, after all. I did use a good amount of my own H*ll's Kitchen Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) and also several grinds from my The Spice & Tea Exchange® Florida Sunshine Spice Blend (Thanks, Cindy!) on the homefries.

http://meadandmeads.com/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Waffle Berries & Crème ~ 6.4;
Excellent! Homefries ~ 7.66

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-botanical pointer of the day (stolen... er... borrowed directly from the friendly folks at WikipediA):

In British English, it is commonly known as “coslettuce, and in North America as “romainelettuce. Many dictionaries trace the word cos to the name of the Greek island of Cos, from which the lettuce was presumably introduced. Other authorities trace cos to the Arabic word for lettuce, khus خس [xus].

It apparently reached Western Europe via Rome, as in Italian it is called lattuga romana and in French laitue romaine, both meaning “Roman lettuce”. Hence the name “romaine”, the common term in North American English.

No comments:

Post a Comment