Sunday, November 10, 2019

Split ~ American Kitchen




https://www.spliteats.com/


Place: Split ~ American Kitchen

Location: 2300 Polk Street 
(at the corner of Green Street)

Hours: open for Weekday Breakfast (Monday - Friday) 9:00am, open for "Brunch" on Weekends (Saturday and Sunday) 9:00am

Meal: Grilled Little Gems[1] & Sunny-Side Up Eggs ~ grilled little gem lettuces, two pasture eggs, avocado, applewood smoked bacon (which I had 86-ed, natch'), Sriracha ranch, topped with breadcrumbs; a side of Crispy Butterball Potatoes[2]; and, to drink with the meal, a glassa orange juice



(I will let you all infer your own EweToobular juxtaselection from this song. I remember when this song was originally played on the radio. Man, is this song old!)


Having now (double-dippingly) exhausted all of the restaurants in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation over the last month and a half, I decided to check out a new (to me, at least, and relatively newly opened, anyway) restaurant and headed over to eat at Split ~ American Kitchen on ol' Roosky Kholm. I first espied them a few months ago when I was having lunch at a nearby joint along Polk Street; after lunch, I walked around the neighborhood a bit and "discovered" a few more places that seemed breakfastarily sound.

The first thing I asked myself was "Why is this place called 'Split'?" It did not look like they specialized in any specifically Croatian food items. I suppose that I probably could have asked one of the front-counter employees this question, but I forgot to ask it. With a little digging on their web-site, apparently they used to be called "Split Bread" (possibly some kinda local bakery?), but abbreviated and changed the name "... to convey the broader array of delicious menu items we now offer." There are two other locations in downtown San Francisco: one on 4th Street over by Yerba Buena Gardens and another one just a few blocks away on Mission Street between 1st and 2nd Streets.

As for any other ideas (at least viable options for st*pid vegetarian-types), I saw a few other good menu-entries:

Fried Egg Sandwich ~ two pasture eggs, aged Cheddar, arugula, on a toasted challah bun (which I assume they bake themselves);

Huevos Rancheros ~ two pasture eggs over easy, tostadas, avocado, aged Cheddar, black beans, shredded lettuce (they do not specify if this is shredded "little gems", though), homemade ranchero sauce, cilantro, lime crema;

Shroom Scramble ~ sautéed mushrooms, herbed goat cheese, kale, chives;

or

Design Your Own Scramble ~ three pasture eggs with your choice of three ingredients: applewood smoked bacon, homemade pork sausage, chicken apple sausage, Mexican chorizo, roasted red pepper, sautéed onion, kale, sautéed mushrooms, avocado, cherry tomatoes, aged Cheddar, herbed goat cheese, or Parmesan; served with Mixt greens side salad.




I was happy to see that this was a pretty basic and clean dish, which was perfect because I really did not feel like another big, heavy scrambled dish like yesterday. The two sunnyside-up eggs were on top of a whole mess o' sliced avocado (easily half an avocado or more); the avocado slices were on top of the nicely charred/caramelized halves of lettuce heads; and all of that was sitting atop a very nice Sriracha-ranch sauce. Of course, with the side of Crispy Butterball Potatoes, it all ended up being a pretty filling meal all the same. The potatoes were excellent, too. These were halved and deep-fried (whatever the h*ck a "Butterball" potato is supposed to be) potatoes ~ making for a nice crispy outside shell and a creamy (potatoey, whatever) inside.

As for any condimentary supplements, Split had bottles of Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce and Huy Fong Foods Inc. (I did have to ask to have that specific brand confirmed) Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce (in a large rectangular tin ketchup-style push-pump dispenser-thing). I used some of my own H*ll's Kitchen Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!), but just a few drops on top of each of the egg-yolks, and some Old St. Augustine Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!), where I liberally doused a lot more on the potatoes. Additionally, I grinded several grinds of The Spice & Tea Exchange® Florida Sunshine Spice Blend (Thanks, Cindy!) all over the eggs and grilled lettuce, and potatoes.


Crafty Coffee Confabulation Interlude

Before breakfast, I stopped in at Saint Frank Coffee (which was just down the block from Split) for a cuppa pour-over style Burundi Ninga Hill. I do not think that I have ever had any Burundian Coffee before. This was kinda light on flavour and roast, but it was mellow and sweet anyhow. As a comparison, at Split they serve Mr. Espresso® (I did ask that question, but not which particular roast/blend, though).

https://www.saintfrankcoffee.com/products/burundi-ninga-hill?variant=39006020164


the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While I was walking around before breakfast, I heard several of the noisy feather-brains (Telegraph Hill, which is just "next door", is home to a major pandemonium, of course) overhead. However, I did not see neither beak nor feather of any.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Grilled Little Gems & Sunny-Side Up Eggs ~ 6.5;
Saint Frank Coffee - Burundi Ninga Hill ~ 6.9;
Crispy Butterball Potatoes ~ 7.2;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5 (even sight unseen)

___________________

1. Just what the h*ck?!

https://produceexpress.net/products/produce/item/lettuce-little-gem.html

2. Just what the h*ck, Part 2?!

https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/German_Butterball_Potatoes_9175.php

No comments:

Post a Comment