Sunday, November 24, 2019

Dottie's True blue café




(I would have used a stock-photo from last Sunday's visit... but... well... Sorry, Suzanne.)

http://dottiestruebluesf.com/


Place: Dottie's True blue café

Location: 28 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street)

Hours: open 7:30am Thursday through Tuesday

Meal: Portobello[1] Mushroom, Scallions, Jalapeños, Roasted Tomato Tart (Cooked in Champagne) ~ (two) eggs any style (I felt like egg-style identifying as over-medium this morning) + fruit; and a glassa orange juice to drink




("Hey, Brian, what gives with yet still another Ella Fitzgerald song? Didn'ja just post two of her songs, like, just last Sunday?" First off, Lady Ella never needs any excuses for me to share her music. Secondhandedly, I feel that the elegant, pitch-perfect singing of Lady Ella complements the elegant, pitch-perfect food at Dottie's True blue café poifectly. 

The reason for the second song is simply because they were playing a few Lady Day songs this morning on the house [café, whatever] stereo. I really wanted to post "Strange Fruit", which is such a great song, but did not feel that the subject matter [Hint: It ain't a d*mn song about no apple or peachy orchards.] would really fit in well, breakfastarily speaking.

"B-b-but, Brian,  the Lady Ella song about a young star-crossed lover lamenting her abandonment after being deceitfully coerced into sexual submission, shooting-down the fiendish cad in cold blood, and then summarily being hung by a maddened mob is appropriate breakfast music?" So, what part of "Lady Ella never needs any excuses for me to share her music.", did you not understand? [Besides, if you got a problem with the lyrics, take it up with that Coal Porter guy.])


"Hey, Brian, didn'ja just eat breakfast at Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, November 27th. 2019) last weekend?" Yeah. So? What's yer point?




Eating solo again this morning, I knew that I was not going to (have room to) order one of their fresh-baked pastries, but there were a few new items that had just been updated/added by Baker Salá (I talk to him almost every visit, but have never really asked him how he pronounces his name; it might be "Sall-AH" or "Sall-AY"; maybe next time I will remember to ask him) to the front blackboard in the entryway which looked tempting.




Well, this scored another big "WOW!" from me! This is a brand new bakery item (as confirmed by Baker Salá hisd*mnself). It was not even offered on the Specials blackboard last week. Oh, and a major caveat, if'n you are one of those fungo-phobes, this is definitely not gonna be your cuppa tea (or puff-pastry tart even). It was way chock-fulla roasted Portobello (Portobella/Portabello/Portabella) mushrooms

I am trying to decide if I liked (loved) this new one more than their other recent new tart Mushroom, Goat Cheese, Roasted Tomato Tart, cooked in Champagne (see 'blog-entry from Saturday, September 14th, 2019). (On this week's Specials blackboard, it looks like they are now using Mozzarella in place of goat cheese, though. I am sure both work fine.) I am gonna have to give the edge to this morning's tart mainly for the profuse preponderance (which ain't a big ranch alongside Lake Tahoe out near Virginia City, Nevada, Hoss) of Portobello (Portobella/Portabello/Portabellamushrooms. (Baker Salá  told me that the other mushroom tart-thing is made with several different kinds of mushrooms, not specifically Portobello [Portobella/Portabello/Portabella].) 

The jalapeños were a very nice underscore and added (Now, what is that phrase in French when you just can not quite put your finger [or tongue] on something precisely? Well, I do not know what it is... whatever)... some kinda nice extra flavour to the smokiness of the roasted Portobello (Portobella/Portabello/
Portabella) mushrooms. The jalapeños were diced up very finely and, if you were not aware of them being in the dish, you might not even feel their small amount of heat.

And, finally, I liked how it was all capped-off (literally) with a slice of roasted tomato.

I did not need to use any of the several different hot sauces provided by Dottie's True blue café. I went with a couple of my own condimentary supplements and used some H*ll's Kitchen Chipotle Chocolate Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of one egg and some Peaks of Otter Peppers Inca Gold Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of the other egg. I also used some (well, a lot) of grindage from my The Spice & Tea Exchange® Earthly Delight Spice Blend (Thanks, Cindy!) on top of everything (yes, even including on top of the "Strange Fruit" bowl ~ do not question my pitch-perfect tastes!).


(another not so strange) Coffee Interlude

I skipped a cuppa Coffee with breakfast 'cause I was planning on making some of my own at home while keyboarding (It's a real word! Look it up!) up this here 'blog-entry, anyway. It got me to a-thinkin'. Just how much restaurants, cafés, and coffeehouses in general are basically (over-)charging for a simple cuppa?! (Not that I feel that Dottie's True blue café is ripping me off on a cuppa [or three refillas, which are free, anyway]. They charge $2.50 per cuppa, which is reasonable enough.) 

I did a quick Intro-Net search and a few different sources suggested that a one-pound bagga Coffee can make about forty-eight 6 oz cuppas. That translates to 288 ounces (with or without any silly Common Core Math) of Coffee. I normally make a cuppa that holds approximately ten ounces and I usually (always) make my Coffee just a tad stronger and using more grounds via the pour-over drip method; so I estimate that I can get about twenty-four 10-ouncers outta a pound. If a decent pound bagga (not any of that canned cr*p you get at your local grocery store) Coffee costs about $15.00, that comes to about 63¢ per cuppa. 

Hmmmm?! Something tells me the friendly folks at St*rbucks and your local coffeehouse are making a HUGE margin of profit for basically boiling water. Maybe they are trying to pay for all that "Free Intro-Net" service that they offer...


Thankfully, there were no regrets from Miss Otis with my meal today, Madam.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Portobello Mushroom, Scallions, Jalapeños, Roasted Tomato Tart (Cooked in Champagne) ~ 7.5;
the elegant, pitch-perfect singing of Lady Ella ~ 8.5

___________________

1. While talking to Baker Salá about his mushroom tarts, I told him (read: annoyingly bored him while he was trying to update the blackboard) a little about the history and acceptable spellings of the mature Agaricus bisporus sporocarp (aka Portobello [Portobella/Portabello/Portabella] mushroom). He was not aware of this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_bisporus

No comments:

Post a Comment