Sunday, November 17, 2019

Dottie's True blue café



(Unfortunately, there will not be any corresponding photos of either Dottie's True blue café façade, Suzanne's smiling façade, or our meals this morning. Apparently my little Kodak EasyShare C340 has finally given up the ghost, Casper [it is about thirteen years old or older, after all]. The memory card-device does not not seem to be recording properly. When I got home, I checked it with a few different memory cards, and it was not recording to those either; so it was not just due to an older memory card itself not recording properly. Sorry, Suzanne.)


http://dottiestruebluesf.com/


Place: Dottie's True blue café

Location: 28 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street)

Hours: open 7:30am Thursday through Tuesday

Meals: (me [and I know a "true gentleman" would report a "lady's" meal first, but I have never been labelled as one of "those kind of men"; hey, I did remove my Baseball cap at the table during breakfast at least]) Sweet Potato, Caramelized Onion, Gruyère Tart, eggs any style (I felt like styling as over-medium today) + fruit;
(Suzanne) Zucchini Cakes topped with poached eggs, Marinara sauce, fruit + potatoes;
(Suzanne and me [see, I did give Suzanne head-billing here]) a 1929 Bronze Goddess Banana Rum Roll to split (Get it? Banana-split... whatever);
and, to drink, we both went with cuppas (and one refilla each) of whatever the house Coffee might have been




(A little Lady Ella ~ pitch perfect to go with a perfectly pitched [just not perfectly pictured] breakfast! Suzanne has the good taste to know that Lady Ella is truly one of the Greatest [if not The Greatest] 'merican Voices of the 20th Century and does not need to be schooled on this fact [unlike some snot-nosed nephews who have finally come to agree with me on this acutely accurate 
assessment].)


Suzanne Bergeron, a very old friend (and by "very old", I mean I have know her since way back in Medway[1] High School [Go Mustangs!]; and by "friend", I mean my first real girlfriend in high school [Go Mustangs!]), was in town for a conference and suggested that we get together for breakfast. Knowing my penchant for Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, September 15th, 2019), Suzanne suggested that we head over there this morning. As much as I tried talking her out of it, she was adamant, Mr. Goddard, and forced me to take her there...

As Suzanne was staying at a nearby downtown hotel, it was only a short five-minute walk over to Dottie's True blue café, anyway. When we arrived there (probably a little before 9:00am), there was not the normal "line-around-the-corner-wait" for a change. There were only about four groups in front of us and we were seated inside within fifteen minutes. (I had caveated her beforehand that after 9:00am the wait can be anywhere from forty-five minutes to an hour.)


(Please see above photos of Suzanne's pretty smile, our meals, and the 1929 Bronze Goddess Banana Rum Roll... oh, wait... never-mind! I guess I am going to be forced to schlep-around a real [much heavier] camera from now on. I wonder if I should look into getting one of them there mobular-devices that are all the rage with the kids these days; I have heard that you can make telephony calls AND take photographic pictures with those contraptions.)


The tart was a slightly different version of the same meal (which Kurt always used to call a "Gallette") which I have had many times in the past. Today's entry was a circular, single-serving tart; whereas in the past, it was a pie-slice from a larger tart (Gallette). I think I liked the older version just a bit more, the crust seemed a bit flakier when it was from a larger whole.

Just because I was paying for the meal (my town, my favourite breakfast-joint, my treat!), I did not tell Suzanne that she had to order the Zucchini Cakes, but she is pretty d*rn smart on her ownsome (she is a perfesser or something like that at Michigan State[2]... or some such higher learning facility thereabouts in the Mid-West) and did see the ultimate intelligence in this choice. I was very glad to see that she did enjoy it as much as I always have, too. To me, this dish is Dottie's True blue café flagship item (if there is such a thing at restaurants).

However, I did "force" Suzanne into sharing the 1929 Bronze Goddess Banana Rum Roll. There is no way either of us were going to be able to finish that on our own (and, as it turned out, both of us could not finish it entirely either). When we ordered this, it was meant to be a pre-breakfastary starter kinda-thing, but they seemed to have forgotten that we ordered it and had to be reminded twice. It was all good, all the same, as it proved to be a perfect middle-of-breakfast/end-of-breakfast dessert thing. Suzanne mentioned that this reminded her of a Bananas Foster in a ramekin. (Perfect call, Suzanne! See, I told ya she was wicked smaht. You do not get to be a perfesser at the University of Illinois if you ain't.) I could definitely taste some cinnamon in the spices, and, per Suzanne's discerning taste-buds, she noticed some nutmeg, too. I was wondering if there was possibly some allspice it, too  (like I really have any kinda discerning palate).

We both skipped any of the offered condimentary supplementations by Dottie's True blue café. I used some of my own H*ll's Kitchen® Smoky Bourbon Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of both eggs. Suzanne also used some H*ll's Kitchen® Smoky Bourbon Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of one of the poached eggs and some Tijuana Flats Tex-Mex Smack My *ss and Call Me Santa (Thanks, Rick!) on top of her other egg. We both used generous grindings from my The Spice & Tea Exchange® Italian Street Fair Spice Blend (Thanks, Cindy!) all over our plates.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
(Suzanne was genuinely interested in how the Glen Bacon Scale worked and I gave her a quick course [and a bit of history] in this highly scientific rating-system.)
Sweet Potato, Caramelized Onion, Gruyère Tart ~ 6.6 (I think I normally would rate the old-style version as 6.7 or 6.8);
Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.4 (per Suzanne's very intelligent assessment ~ did I tell you that she was a perfesser at some Wisconsin kolledge?);
1929 Bronze Goddess Banana Rum Roll ~ 7.4 (where we both agreed on this rating)
the eloquent singing of Lady Ella ~ 8.5 (I did not ask for Suzanne's input on this one, I just trust that she would agree with that rating; after all, she is some kinda perfesser at Ohio State University or something)

___________________

1. Where the h*ck?!

aka "Cupcake, Massachusetts":

https://www.townofmedway.org/

2. Actually, I am well aware of the university where Suzanne professors at:

https://umich.edu/

As they say in Ann Arbor: "Go Spartans!"

No comments:

Post a Comment