Saturday, November 23, 2019

Just For You bakery & cafe




https://www.justforyoucafe.com/


Place: Just For You bakery & cafe

Location: 732 22nd Street 
(between 3rd and Tennessee Streets)

Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am, 
Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch

Meal: Greek Scramble ~ 3 eggs with Feta cheese, onions, spinach, tomato, and Kalamata olives, served with choice of bread (a HUGE chunka cornbread was my choice this morning) and choice of sides (the chosen side was homefries); and, to drink, a cuppa (and one refilla ~ they kept offering me more, but I did not want to be awake all day) good N'Arlins-style Community Coffee® with roasted chicory

https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee/32-oz-ground-coffee-and-chicory



(These two old guys do a pretty decent cover of Them's original Garage Rock classic.)


("Hey, Brian, just who the h*ck was that guy that introduced Laura Brannigan?"... Shirley, you must be joking. 

"And, Brian, what is up with the dazzling duo of 'Gloria' songs?"... Well, as far as I know, there are not any EweToobular juxtaselections between Greek Scrambles and anyone named "Gloria". I just happened to be listening to a CD of Blues Traveler live performances [Thanks, Greg!] to and from the restaurant this morning and ol' Pop-man done sang that Them version of "Gloria" hisd*mnself. Of course, there is always the possibility that Sir George Ivan and/or little Johnnie Hooker are fans of Hellenic egg dishes, too.)


I say this every time that I go to Just For You bakery & cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, April 1st. 2018... no foolin') for breakfast, if it was not all the way cross-town, it would easily be in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. (And, yes, while the restaurant is still in the same city in which I live, even early on a Saturday morning with no real traffic of which to speak, it still took me about a half-hour to forty minutes drive over there.)

Not that there was really anything that I considered ordering, but on the weekends, they offer several items on a separate printed Today's Specials menu. Off which, Today's offerings were:

Blueberry Lemon Mimosa! (They added the explanation point there!) ~ Our 16oz mimosa with fresh blueberry lemon thyme syrup, blueberries & lemon wedge! Ask your server for other flavors! (See, they kinda like them explanation points!);

Corned Beef Hash! (Again, with the explanation point?! Apparently, they do not have Elaine Marie Benes editing their printings!) ~ Homemade (well, bakery & cafe-made) Corned beef hash with peppers, onions & potatoes served with two eggs any style & choice of bread. (Hmmm?! Someone seems to have missed the explanation point at the end of that sentence!);

Chicken Apple Scramble! (I will not even mention the addition of the explanation point here!) ~ Three egg scramble with chicken apple sausage, cherry tomatoes, arugula, mushrooms & blue cheese. Served with home fries or grits, and choice of homemade (again, bakery & cafe-made) bread.

Clam Linguine! (Maybe the exclamation point is standard in Italiano!) ~ A homemade (you know the drill) wine butter sauce with clams, shallots, fresh basil, and tomato over linguine pasta, topped with parmesan cheese. Served with a small green salad.;

and lastly(!)

Pastrami Benedict! (Whatever!) ~ Hot Pastrami, spinach & tomato topped with poached eggs & hollandaise sauce over choice of bread (They do not specify here if it is "homemade" or not!). Served with home fries or grits.(!)




Having already run the gamut (and, I will have you know, that I did it in under 10-minute miles!) of viable st*pid vegetarian-friendly dishes off their standard weekend All-Day "Brunch" menu (which is really pretty extensive), I simple went with a choice that I knew was very good and that I liked a lot. Of course, once again, this was a great meal and a whole lotta food. The portion of homefries was enough to feed two people and the HUGE hunka cornbread was almost too much for me to finish it all (but I did!). If I had one minor quibble with this morning's meal, it was that the scramble-mess was a bit light on both the amount of Feta and Kalamata olives in it.

As has been documented many times in the past (so I am not gonna do so again in the present), Just For You bakery & cafe offers one of the best selections of condimentary supplementation in the city. Oddly enough, even so, I  used some of my own Old St. Augustine Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the potatoes and some H*ll's Kitchen Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the scrambled stuff. I also grinded several grinds of The Spice & Tea Exchange® Pirate's Bite Spice Blend (Thanks, Cindy!) all over everything.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Greek Scramble ~ 6.6 (with the sufficient amount of Feta and Kalamata olives, I think that I normally would rate this as 6.7 or 6.8);
Community Coffee® with roasted chicory ~ 6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment