Saturday, November 9, 2019

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." 
~ Groucho Marx

"Mustard's no good without roast beef." 
~ Chico Marx

"*honk*, *honk*!" 
~ Harpo Marx



https://cliffhouse.com/bistro/


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Location: 1090 Point Lobos
(at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach)

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am

Meal: Sautéed Vegetable Scramble (an off-menu item now) ~ scrambled eggs, red peppers, tomatoes, scallions, button mushrooms, melted goat cheese, served with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes; to drink, a glassa Ocean Beach ~  | Skyy Vodka | peach schnapps | pineapple | cranberry, which came with another neo-retro paper straw; and, of course, a basket (which included two this morning) of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) 




(Hey, Brian, just what the h*ck does Queen or "Bohemian Rhapsody" have anything to do with today's meal? Well, maybe Freddie Mercury and the rest of those Queenie-boys liked them some [World] Famous Cliff House Popovers[!], too. And there is the fact that this song was prominently featured on their album named "A Night at the Opera". Mamma mia, now d'yer get it, Signore Galilei?!)


Doubling-up/-down/-heading on all of the restaurants in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I returned to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, November 3rd, 2019; so, basically, last week) again this morning.




Holy smoke (fog, whatever)! What a difference a week makes! Unlike last Sunday morning's gorgeous weather, the view out the window today was... well... almost nonexistent. The coastal fog was so thick that you could barely see Seal Rocks, which are only about one hundred yards offshore. (For a change, the blurriness of this photo is not really my fault or due to any intentional bokehocity.)




This particular item is no longer listed on their Breakfast menu. Luckily, Chris had informed me last week that it could still be ordered/made. Otherwise, the choice of items for st*pid vegetarians is very limited. This was always one of my favourite offerings of theirs, anyway. I suppose, in a pinch, I could always order a Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich ~ ciabatta bread, red peppers, goat cheese, fresh basil, garlic fries; it is actually listed on their Lunch menu portion, but I was informed by my friendly waiter/server-person guy[1] that the Lunch menu items can also be ordered during breakfast hours. Cool!

(Same as last weekend) Today's side of fruits included: watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberry (one), and red grapes (two).

Thankfully, the Ocean Beach did not taste anything like the Pacific Ocean. However, I thought there was a bit of grittiness when drinking it and coulda sworn there was some sand from outside in it.

(Again, same as last weekend) For condimentary supplementation, the Bistro Restaurant at 
Cliff House only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce). I used some of my own Dat'l Do-it® Spicy Jalapeno (noted sin virgulilla, Ms. Swinton) Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) generously doused all over the scramble-mess and some Dragon's Lair Extra Hot Cayenne & Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Mom!) on the potatoes. Additionally, I sprinkled a whole lotta McCormick® Grill Mates® Smokehouse Maple Seasoning all over everything... and I mean everything... including the fruits! (Well, I did not sprinkle any on the [World] Famous Cliff House Popovers[!], 'cause that woulda just been sacrilegious!) Do not mock my fruit-spicening, this is a very common practice in Mexico with watermelon and mangoes.





Hollywoodland Spotlight of the Day

I think this is a photo of Louis Feinberg, Moses Horwitz, and Jerome Horwitz ~ better known professionally as the Ritz Brothers.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Sautéed Vegetable Scramble ~ 6.7;
Ocean Beach ~ 7.0;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2;
the comedic antics of the Ritz Brothers ~ 8.5 
(I would rate them higher, but everyone knows that the real humour-talent in that family belonged to Milton and Herbert.)

___________________

1. Whose name I completely forget, but he has worked there for thirteen years now and always recognizes me as "the hot sauce guy" whenever I am there when he is working. He told me this morning that his favourite hot sauce is Marie Sharp's (original) Habanero Pepper Sauce. It is a good one. I like that one, too.

https://www.mariesharps.bz/portfolio-item/original-fiery-hot/

He also told me that he was a D*dgers fan... at least he has good taste in hot sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment