Saturday, August 18, 2012

Baker Street Bistro

"Amazing Pain Perdu! How sweet thy taste, that saved a wretch like me. You once were 'lost', but now are 'found'…"






In continuing my revisits to all of the restaurants in my Breakfast Rotation this summer, je suis retourné à Baker Street Bistro (see last 'blog-entry from April 21st, 2012). They are located over in Cow Hollow, near the Presidio, and, coincidentally enough, right on Baker Street, Sir Arthur (however, at 2953, not 221b[1], though). I got there early enough (just a little after they had opened at 9:00am) and was able to park right across the street for a change. It was a bit foggy and overcast this morning, but the Sun made attempts to break through and it was comfortable enough, so I sat outside on their large sidewalk café (which has about 8-10 tables for two-to-four people). I was the only one sitting outside for about half an hour, until a few more patrons decided to "brave" the weather, too.

Wild Parrots of San Francisco Update:
I didn't see any of my little feathered tropical friends this morning, but I heard several of them. I can only assume a small flock of them roosts in the backyard(s) of some of the buildings across the street from the restaurant. After breakfast I hoofed (parrot-toed?) it over to the Lombard Gate of the Presidio to see if any were still around in the tall eucalyptus trees. Unfortunately, I didn't see or hear any more of them today.

I suppose I could have ordered one of Baker Street Bistro's egg dishes, but I once again went with their Pain Perdu ~ two slices of cinnamon French Toast, fresh fruit, strawberry coulis & crème fraîche. I also ordered a side of home fries (they have it as two words on their menu) and a cuppa coffee.




This truly is one of the best versions of French toast that I have ever had. I don't know if they still make their maple syrup with orange and cinnamon infusion any more; they don't state it as such on the menu any longer. It really doesn't matter, as the Pain Perdu is still the best and les accoutrements were nice, but not the only thing worth going back for. (Of course, "not the only thing for which worth going back" is grammatically correct, but it awkward sounds.) I was happy to note that they didn't forget the strawberry coulis this morning swirled into the crème fraîche.

Les fruits du jour: blueberries, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, oranges, and pineapple.

Baker Street Bistro only offers as condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (and just the standard red). I was fully aware of this and used some of my own brand new Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce ~ Habanero (Thanks, Amys and Brian!) on the potatoes. Not that I really need any more hot sauces in my refrigerator, but I had used up the last of my favourite Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce a few weeks back and finally located a local supplier and don't have to wait for the two Amys to supply me with a bottle from any seasonal street fairs now. Not only did this store carry the regular style, they just got in some Habanero style, also. This is so new that it is not even listed on the Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce web-site. Of course, I felt it absolutely necessary to pick up a bottle of both styles for my collection. The Habanero is about twice as hot as the regular one, but still maintains a lot of the same great flavour.

http://www.paloaltofirefighters.com/


This is not really a condimentary supplementation, but I usually like to take the mint[2] leaves that they provide as a garnish and put them in my coffee; it always freaks them out when they pour my refills.

I always seem to "find" my way back to this amazing Pain Perdu… and I have never even been blind, Mr. Newton.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Amazing Pain Perdu ~ 8.2; Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce ~ Habanero ~ 7.5 (Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce ~ regular ~ 7.6)


[1] If you ever visit London and are trying to locate 221b Baker Street, it no longer exists. It has been swallowed up by a few new buildings/condominiums. There is a Sherlock Holmes museum a few doors down the street that they call 221b Baker Street; however, it is not the actual address. 

 
[2]  Stupid, useless cunning linguist (and a bit historical) pointer of the day:

 
"Mint" in Spanish is "menta" (in French it is "menthe"). I had to ask the Mexican busboy what the word was. I always thought that "mint" in Spanish was "yerba buena" (alternate form of "hierba buena"), which just means "good herb". 

 
The original name for the city of San Francisco was Yerba Buena. The name of the original Spanish settlement was taken from the native plant of the same name that was indigenous to the area. Apparently, "yerba buena" is an aromatic herb and resembled mint or peppermint and the Spanish settlers (invaders) named it the "good herb".

 
After San Francisco was renamed with its current moniker (by the 'merican invaders this time), a small island in San Francisco Bay was named Yerba Buena Island. You cross over it whenever you drive from San Francisco to Oakland on the Bay Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment