Sunday, August 12, 2012

Eats





(No official website.)

50 Clement Street

Phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000

 



(I couldn't think of any good "eats" or "eating" related EweToob videos, so I am just linking this great one from Van Morrison. It was playing on the house stereo when I first sat down to eat this morning.)


I am revisiting all of the restaurants in my Breakfast Rotation this summer and returned to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from April 29th, 2012) this morning. Eats is in the Richmond District on the corner of Clement Street and 2nd Avenue. It wasn't hard to get a good parking spot close to the restaurant early on a Sunday morning and I didn't have to wait to be seated when I got there. If you get there after 9:00am on the weekends, you can expect a 20-30 minute wait, though.

Eats offer many good things on their menu. One of these days I really have to try either the Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes or the Apple Walnut Cinnamon Raisin Brioche French Toast. As it were, I ordered the Caprese Scramble ~ cherry tomatoes, pesto[1], fresh Mozarella[2] (sic), and Parmesan; served with a side of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes and toast (I chose sourdough today). I also had a large glass of Power C ~ grapefruit, orange, and pineapple from their fresh juice bar.





Here's where it would do me well to do a little research and look back through my notes of previous visits. I ordered the exact same meal, including the drink, that I had ordered two visits ago (see 'blog-entry from January 14th, 2012). I seemed to have liked the scramble just a bit more on that visit and liked the Power C a little less then. This had a very good pesto; however, I would have liked a few more cherry tomatoes in it. The addition of a fresh basil chiffonade on top was nice (it was not mentioned on the menu, but I think they did the same thing last time).

As always, the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes were… well, Excellent! This is one of the reasons I keep going back there and added Eats to my Breakfast Rotation in the first place. However, there were only seven cloves of garlic in my Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes. I wonder if I ever had to choose between the Popovers(!) at the Cliff House or these as a side dish which I would choose; luckily, that is not a choice I need to make.

I skipped having a cuppa coffee at Eats and brewed me up (well, "fresh dripped me down", actually) a cuppa Bettys
Mexican Cloud Forest at home to enjoy while I am typing this out. I probably should have had this yesterday to congratulate Team Mexico's Gold Medal win in Fútbol.

Eats has for condimentary supplements a pretty decent triumvirate of: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red); Cholula®; and Tapatío®.  I was aware of this, but instead I used a little of my own El Yucateco® XXXTRA HOT SAUCE Salsa Kutbil-ik® de CHILE HABANERO (Thanks, Brian!) on the scramble (the pesto was plenty tasty on its own, but it never hurts to add a bit of pop) and some HP Guinness® (Thanks, Cindy!) on the potatoes. As usual, the roasted cloves of garlic were put to good use and spread thickly on my toast.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingCaprese Scramble ~ 6.8; Power C ~ 6.7; Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.5; Bettys Mexican Cloud Forest ~ 6.8


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-epicurean pointer del giorno, numero uno:

 
"Pesto" is a sauce originating in Genoa and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil, and pine nuts blended with olive oil, and sometimes Parmigiano Reggiano. The name is the contracted past participle of the Genoese word "pestâ" (Italian: "pestare"), which means "to pound, to crush", in reference to the original method of preparation with marble mortar and pestle. See also: "pestle".

[2]  Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-epicurean pointer del giorno, numero due:

Sorry, they had this mispelded on their menu with only one "z", Chuck. 

 
"Mozzarella" is derived from the Neapolitan dialect spoken in Campania, Italy; it is the diminutive form of "mozza" (meaning "cut"), or "mozzare" ("to cut off").

No comments:

Post a Comment