Sunday, August 19, 2012

Q Restaurant and Wine Bar









(The first EweToob video should be self-explanatory from my breakfast choice. The second video is just because I like Steve Earle's take on the old Beatles classic.)


This morning I went back to Q Restaurant and Wine Bar (see last 'blog-entry from May 12th, 2012); it is another of the restaurants (and wine bars, apparently) that is part of my Breakfast Rotation. They are located on Clement Street between 3rd and 4th Avenues. I got there early enough this morning that I got a parking spot directly in front of the restaurant for a change. I even got to sit at my favourite table, the one with the "Wooly Willy" tableau.

Q Restaurant and Wine Bar (which I am just going to refer to as Q Rest
aurant from here on out for brevity purposes) has a very good standard "Brunch" menu (their term, and they don't open until 10:00am on the weekends, but there really is nothing snooty or over-assuming about this joint) with several good choices. They also have a "Weekend Brunch Specials" menu with several other good choices. They offered both their Muy Deliciouso Chilaquiles and Fried Green Tomato Benedict this weekend. I have had both of these on recent visits and wanted to try something different for a change so I ordered Susio's Rico Suave French Toast ~ cream cheese and strawberry stuffed French white baguette[1] with strawberry compote[2] and caramelized walnuts. I also ordered a side of home fries (which they have as two words on their menu, Herr Gates-Führer) and a large glass of orange juice. I skipped ordering any coffee with the meal as I had a cuppa Bettys Peruvian Pangoa earlier in the morning before heading out (the place doesn't open until 10:00am, you can't expect me to wait that long for a cuppa, can you?).
 



Now I was in quite a quandary with this meal. I wanted to really like this dish, but it was just "okay". I had just had the quintessential French toast (Pain Perdu) yesterday for breakfast and was interested in the comparison; however, this really didn't work for me. First off,  strawberries and walnuts were a questionable combo for me; maybe if they had added bananas to the mess (bananas and strawberries work; bananas and walnuts work; possibly all three would be good, too). Secondly, it didn't seem to me that this was made with baguette de tradition française, but with plain ol' 'merican white bread. Lastly, the strawberry compote was a little bit on the too tart side for my liking; I did add some maple syrup (which tasted like 100% pure) and it helped a little. At least there were lots of strawberries and walnuts in it, though.

Q Restaurant has a really diverse selection of condimentary supplements, which I knew about and have mentioned before, but I went with my newly-opened bottle of Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (the regular/standard version) (Thanks, Amys and Brian!) on the potatoes. You can never go wrong with this hot sauce and potatoes (I was tempted to try some on the French toast to see if it might help any).

They brought a Tootsie Roll® Midgee® (I think the correct PC-terminology should be "Little Personee®", though) with the check today, which is always nice.

Not all of your outings are going to be No-No's or Perfecto's, Matt; after all, they can't all be Chayote Rellenos or Pain Perdu from Baker Street Bistro.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingSusio's Rico Suave French Toast ~ 5.9


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinary pointer du jour, numéro un:

 
"Baguette" as a type of bread comes from French, which comes from Italian "bacchetta" (meaning "a little stick"), which comes from Latin "baculus" (meaning "walking stick").

[2]  Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinary pointer du jour, numéro deux:

 
"Compote" comes from French (meaning "mixture"), which comes from Old French "composte", which comes from Latin "composita", feminine of "compositus" (meaning "composite").

No comments:

Post a Comment