Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Bistro at Cliff House

Popovers, Popovers, Popovers, Popovers, and McCormick




(If you were wondering why the black-and-white photo this morning... well, mind your own business!)


There are five very good reasons to keep going back to the Bistro at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from May 20th, 2012): 1) They always serve good food; 2) There are some great views of the Pacific Ocean and Ocean Beach; 3) Popovers(!); 4) Popovers(!); and 5) Popovers(!). As I was sitting right next to one of the windows overlooking the ocean, today's great view even included 6-7 dolphins swimming by off shore (and only about 100 yards away)… and me without my tuna net!

The Bistro really doesn't have that extensive of a breakfast menu, and I have eaten there so many times that I have gone through every item (well, those that could be ordered without any of the dead decaying animal or marine insect flesh) many times over now. I really do miss their Greek Omelette; it was the best thing on the menu and one of the best versions in the City. I once again ordered Joe's Special Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs with Sautéed Ground Beef, Onions, Mushrooms & Spinach, Topped with Parmesan Cheese; this is served with roasted potatoes and a side of fresh fruits. I also had a large glass of orange juice. And of course, one of the main reasons that I keep going back again and again, all meals are served with fresh baked Popovers(!); there were four in my basket this morning and I "forced" myself to finish them all.




As always, the scramble was very good. It was made with lots of fresh spinach and mushrooms. I made sure to order it without the ground beef. Today's side of fruits included: cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, grapes, and strawberries.

The Bistro only has as condimentary supplementation the standard red Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce. So I used some of my new Palo Alto Fire Fighters Habanero Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Amys and Brian!) on the potatoes, and a little Oaxacan Hot Sauce on the scramble.

The wall next to my table included these autographed Hollywoodland photos:



(Picture 1, top to bottom)

??? (I know I should know this one; his face looks very familiar, but I don't know what to do with the name); ???
Ann Sothern; Lyle Talbot



(Picture 2, top to bottom)

George Sanders(?); Deanna Durbin
William Holden; Henry Fonda




(Picture 3, top to bottom)

Don Ameche; ???
Ida Lupino; John Garfield
Jackie Gleason; Lynda Carter

 

Once again I am offering to treat anyone that can fill in the "???s" with the correct names to all the free Popovers(!) that you can eat (my treat even) or maybe even a breakfast at Dottie's True blue café.

The entire breakfast was good as always. And did I forget to mention the Popovers(!)?


Glen Bacon Scale RatingJoe's Special Scramble ~ 6.7; Popovers(!) ~ 8.2

No comments:

Post a Comment