Sunday, August 28, 2016

Pat's Cafe




https://patscafesf.com/


Place: Pat's Cafe
Location: 2230 Taylor Street (between Chestnut and Francisco Streets, just off Columbus Avenue and "down the road" from the San Francisco Municipal Railway Powell-Mason Cable Car Turntable)
Hours: open at 7:30am every day of the week
Meal: San Francisco Spinach Omelet ~ fresh spinach, fresh basil, tomatoes, Feta cheese, served with homefries and toast; a cuppa STASH English Breakfast Black Tea; and, afterward, on my way home, a breakfastary dessert at ★ The Richfield with a cuppa Guatemala Huahua-somethingerother (with no official-type web-site with which to check it out, I really can't remember what the blend/roast was called) and a Banana-Berry Muffin

https://www.stashtea.com/products/english-breakfast-black-tea






(This Wednesday, August 31st, is still the 71st birthday of Sir George Ivan. 

Today's EweToobular musical introlude is continuing the celebration of that event.)


Once again, I can't believe that it has almost been two years since I last had breakfast at Pat's Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, December 14th, 2014). This place is a great little off-the-beaten-path (well, about a half-block off if that "beaten path" is Columbus Avenue) and really deserves more frequent visits. It can be a bit of a trip cross-town, but early on a Sunday morning, it's usually easy to get a nearby parking spot (this morning I scored a spot directly across the street); plus, if you get there early enough, you can normally beat most of the tourista crowd (coming from the surrounding Fisherman's Wharf hostelries and mostelries) to a table. This morning I sat at one of the two small, round tables that are just around the corner from the entrance-way.

And like yesterday's destination, Pat's Cafe offers many more interesting menu items that need checking-out: California Omelet ~ or also available as a Crepe (avocado, Cheddar, mushrooms, onions, Aidell's fresh chicken apple sausage ~ which I would have axed... well, I would have axed for them to not include it); Chilaquiles American Style (scrambled eggs, Cheddar, tomatoes, ham [this would have gotten las hacha, too], spinach, tortilla chips, jalapeños, tomatillo sauce); Veggie Omelet (with tomato, spinach, br*ccoli [just axe me how I feel about the vile weed], asparagus, fresh basil, Feta cheese); as well as a few more good ideas.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Before breakfast, while walking around along Columbus Avenue (I had arrived a few minutes before 7:30am and decided to kill some time), I saw a pretty large pandemonium of about twenty Wild Parrots of San Francisco flying overhead. This is their original neighborhood, after all.





This omelette was made with lots of fresh sautéed spinach and a very good amount of Feta (which I was glad to see, as I went with this choice mainly for the Feta ~ "Everything's betta with Feta!"). Plus, the combination of (diced and lightly grilled) tomatoes[1] (Sorry, Greg!) and fresh basil really added to this dish. Their on-line menu still lists two separate kinds of omelettes: San Francisco Omelet (fresh basil, tomatoes, Feta cheese) and Popeye Omelet (fresh spinach, Feta cheese); however, I think that they have just combined the two now, as the printed menu only has the one omelette that I ordered this morning (and I am very happy to see that they maintained the Feta). I went with sourdough for my choice of toast.




Due to an early morning (and overly lengthy) discussion on defacedbook about teas (Man, some people really are geeks!), I went with tea instead of Coffee for my caffeinated beverage of choice. I liked how this large cuppa came with some kinda plate-topper-thing (and I bet Cindy Kipe knows the exact terminology for that ~ and probably owns a few of her own) to place the teabag and teaspoon in afterward. (Doc Estes, FYI, they also offered Earl Grey and a few other tea choices.)

As far as I could tell, Pat's Cafe only had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for condimentary supplements. I used up the last of my own Marie Sharp's Grapefruit Pulp Habanero Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) all over the potatoes. I left the omelette untainted by any hot sauces.

I originally was only planning on stopping by 
The Richfield (see previous 'blog-entry from Saturday, October 17th, 2015) to pick up a bagga their (well, a bagga Snowbird Coffee's) Zatarra, but I knew that I would also probably end up ordering another cuppa for the morning (Yeah, so, I am weak like that). As it was, they were all sold out of the Zatarra (again). So, to make up for it, I "had" to get a muffin to go along with my Coffee... The Banana-Berry muffin was very good, too; it had large slices of strawberries[2] in it.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
San Francisco Spinach Omelet ~ 6.8;
Snowbird Coffee Guatemala Huahua-somethingerother ~ 7.1;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. I would like to point out that unlike yesterday's (quite meager fare and not an actual berry) blackberries on the pancakes, tomatoes are botanically a berry. (Go figger!)

2. I would also like to note that this muffin actually had more botanical berries in it than yesterday's pancake meal, too. Bananas are a berry (however, strawberries are not).

No comments:

Post a Comment