Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dottie's True blue café




http://www.dottiestruebluesf.com/


Place: Dottie's True blue café
Location: 26 6th Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street)
Hours: open Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Kalamata Olive-Roasted Garlic-Feta Three Egg Omelet ~ with homefries (which they have as two words on their menu, but I prefer the oneword spelling) and toast 


(Warning: Explicit language ensues.)



(There is no EweToobular juxtaselection between Dottie's and Vampire Weekend or Cape Cod [well, none of which I can think]. It is just that this weekend brings to a close another Cape Cod Baseball League[1] season. This year's ultimate winner was the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox[2], taking the Championship Series in 2-1 Games over the Falmouth Commodores[3]. This is the third consecutive championship for the Red Sox. [If they didn't sport that honorific name, I would start to think that these guys were the Y*nkees of the CCBL.]

Congratulations to each and all of the other CCBL teams this season, too.)


I arrived at Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from June 12th, 2016) just a little after 7:05am and knew that I would have close to a half (an half?) hour to wait before they would open. This morning was still pretty chilly and foggy, and I figured that most of the stupid touristas would not arrive until much later. So, of course, I was the first idiot to arrive; the next person in line did not show up until about five minutes after I did. By the time they did open up, the line was already around the corner (that would be around the corner of Stevenson Street).

For a change, I bypassed their Blackboard Specials and actually ordered off their printed menu. (I have eaten at Dottie's True blue café at least 150-200 times in the past 20+ years, and I have probably only ordered off the printed menu less than ten times now. Their Specials are just usually that good.) Anyway, how it works with their Three Egg Omelets is that you choose from a list of ingredients to have in it. It's a pretty decent list, too (for both stupid vegetarian-types and dead, decaying meatetarians alike); there are about five to six different cheeses from which to choose and that is always a good basis for an omelette. Some of the other combination ideas that I was a-pondering on: Spinach-Corn-Bleu Cheese (I have no idea if these ingredients even go well together, but they sounded interesting to me); Jalapeño-Avocado-Goat Cheese; or Tomato-Basil-Provolone (I am pretty sure that they just use plain ol' fresh-cut tomatoes, but I bet this would be great with roasted tomatoes [and made with the Roma varietal would be even greater yet]).



(Sorry. The lighting is terrible in this photo. I promise that it tasted much better than this looks. You will have to forgive my photographer, he only gets paid with whatever is left over on my plate... so, today, he went hungry... again.)


This was a very good omelette. The genius that thought up this combination of ingredients is a genius! (Okay, so maybe not all of us can be members of Mensa. I tried joining their high(IQ)falutin' club one time, but they laughed me out the door when I asked them why they named their organization after a woman's monthly cycle.) There was a very good amount of all three ingredients in this. Many places will normally go all "cheapo" (no relation to either Groucho or Chico) with either the Kalamata olives or Feta cheese. Pffft! You'd think they were imported or something. Additionally, there was a ton of the roasted garlic in it, too. This added a nice sweet-savoury flavour to it. (Hmmmm?! Can it be considered Kashrut to have a meal with so much garlic in it and a Vampire Weekend song linked in the same 'blog-entry?)

When you order most of their egg dishes, you get your choice of either house-made (restaurant-made, whatever) buttermilk dill or whole wheat toast; you can also upgrade (for a minimal $1.00 charge) to their grilled chili-Cheddar corn bread (which I have done many times before and know it is totally worth it). I went with the buttermilk dill this morning. This fresh-baked bread would make for a good sandwich base, too, I bet.

For condimentary supplementation, Dottie's True blue café offers a pretty decent choice, so I don't bother bringing any of my own hot sauces with me. This morning I used some (well, about the amount a normal person would use ketchup) Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Chipotle Sauce) on the pile o' potatoes. I left the omelette unscathed by any additional heated influences as I felt there was enough flavour in it already with the three tasty ingredients of my choosing.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Kalamata Olive-Roasted Garlic-Feta Three Egg Omelet ~ 6.7

___________________

1. http://www.capecodbaseball.org/

2. http://ydredsox.pointstreaksites.com/view/ydredsox

3. http://www.falmouthcommodores.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment