Saturday, August 20, 2016

Reverie Cafe


"Oh, we never know where life will take us
We know it's just a ride on the wheel
And we never know when death will shake us
And we wonder how it will feel..."
~ Karla Bonoff, Goodbye My Friend



(No official web-site. Still.)


Place: Reverie Cafe 
(or Reverie Cafe Bar or Reverie Café Bár; with no official-type web-site thing, I really can't be sure)
Location: 848 Cole Street (between Carl and Frederick Streets); phonicular contact: (415) 242-0200
Hours: open 7:00am Monday-Friday, 7:30am Saturday-Sunday
Meal: Breakfast Rissoto[ sic ][1] ~ leek, zucchini, mushroom, tomato, farro[2], spinach, Feta cheese, & eggs; and a large (16 oz-ish) cuppa Equator Coffees & Teas "Medium Roast"

http://www.equatorcoffees.com/






(For the past three years, I have designated the Third Weekend in August as Linda Ronstadt Memorial Weekend. "But, Brian, are you just allowed to make up such holidays?" Yes, I am authorised to do this by the Official Intro-Net Laws and Guidelines[3] because I write my own silly li'l 'blog-'thing. I don't make up these rules.[4] It was back in August 2013 that Linda Ronstadt revealed that she had Parkinson's Disease and "can no longer sing a note". So it is up to all of us to re-memorialise her singing for her.

Now, I may have linked one or all of these songs here before, but, tough, 'my 'blog, 'my 'd*mn 'rules!

That is Emmylou Harris doing the duet with Linda on the second song [which was written by some guy named Bruce Springfield, I think ~ this song was not as famous as his mega-hit "Jessie's Girl", though] and Noel Yang doing the background harmonies and harmonica harmonies.

And, for what it is worth, I have also been from Tucson [the one in Arizona] to Tucumcari [the one in New Mexico], Tehachapi [the one in California] to Tonopah [the one in Arizona].)


I really enjoy going to breakfast at Reverie Cafe 
(or Reverie Cafe Bar or Reverie Café Bár) (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, June 20th, 2015). They always have some interesting ideas for a breakfastary repast and they have all (well, for the three visits that I have made there now, at least) been pretty tasty, too. Plus, because they open up early on the weekends, it is always very easy to get to and to find close-by parking in the neighborhood.

As stated previously, like at many other 
coffeehouses these days, you order at the front counter-register, you pay for your food first (and add any tips to the jar next to the register; I finally figured out why that is placed exactly there, this way they know whether to give you the "special sauce" on your food or not), they give you a number (I got Larry Bird's #33 this morning), and then they bring out the food to you when it is ready.




Once again, I sat outside in their large backyard garden patio area (which actually takes up two backyard spaces). It was still overcast and chilly (probably 60° or cooler) and I ended up being the only fool back there the entire time. That's okay. That just meant more backyard for me!

There were also three different Scrambles or Omelets that I could have gone with this morning: Goat Cheese (with fresh herbs & avocado); Swiss Chard (with leek, shitake mushroom [or shiitake muushroom, even], & Mozzarella); or Spinach (with mushroom, leek, Edam cheese, & fresh thyme). 

If I had been in the mood for a sweet take on breakfast, the Breakfast Porridge (or Poriddge, perrhaps?) (with warm farro, dash of cream & butter, cinnamon, raisins, dates, orange water, maple syrup, toasted almonds, & desiccated coconut) would have been perfect. 

Some other good ideas off their weekend (seasonal) specials board: Open Face Breakfast Sandwich (sourdough toast, goat cheese, bacon [You can keep it, Glen!], pickled onion, eggs over easy, arugula, & siracha[ sic ][5] aioli); Avocado Toast & Poached Eggs (harrisa[ sic ][6] smear[ sic, again][7] & pimenton[8] salsa); or Baked Eggs with Fresh Greens (spinach & kale, leeks, and Feta, mint yogurt sauce, breadcrumbs, and toasted almonds; this would definitely have been my choice if I hadn't already made up my mind ~ even before I had gotten there ~ to go with the dish that I had chosen).

Supposably[9], they make a pretty decent version of Huevos Rancheros (beans, salsa, cheese, potatoes, bacon [No, thanks, Glen!], avocado, corn tortilla), too.





I really liked this meal a lot, and it was a very interesting idea for breakfast. If I did have one little complaint (well, I suppose I did), I would have liked to have seen more Feta in this; it was there, but just in very small sprinkled amounts (almost unnoticeable, really ~ and what is my mantra? "Everything's betta with Feta!"). This came with two over-medium (or almost fried) eggs (laid?) on top of the pile.

I asked the counter-server-person-guy which specific roast/blend of Equator Coffees & Teas they offer and he could only say that it was a "Medium Roast". However, it looks like on their web-site that Equator Coffees & Teas offers about ten different "Medium Roast"s. Whatever. It was pretty decent whichever specific roast/blend it was.

For condimentary supplementation, Reverie Cafe had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red 
Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. I just used some of my own Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on top of one of the eggs.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Breakfast Rissoto (or Risotto) ~ 6.9 (I give this 7.5 for concept, too; no GBS Rating points are ever deducted for speling eras);
Equator Coffees & Teas "Medium Roast" ~ 6.8

___________________

1. Okay, maybe they cain't spel verry gud, but it tassted just fien too me all the same.

Somewhat stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day:

"Risotto" simply comes from the Italiano word for "rice", which is "riso".

2. Risotto (note corect spelink) is normally a rice-based dish. Reverie Cafe substituted the rice (normally a short-grain white rice, like Arborio) here with farro (or is that "faro"?) instead.

3. Which I also just made up.

4. Well, okay, maybe I do. Sometimes.

5. This is not really a mispeling, Tori. The actual word in Thai is either "siracha" or "sriracha". However, most 'mericans are used to the more common spelling of "sriracha".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

6. The more accepted (or aceppted) spelling is "harisa" or "harissa".

7. Now, while I am sure that "smear" might be a completely acceptable goyish word (outside of New York City, that is), the better spelling in this context would probably be "shmeer" (or "schmeer", "shmear", or "schmear").

Whenever it comes to the correct spelling or usage of a Yinglish word, I always turn to my official lexicon for Yiddish/Yinglish (which is the only book that I own on this subject, anyway) ~ The Joys of Yiddish by 
Leo Rosten

As lexiconed by Mr. Rosten:

[ page 353 ]

shmeer

Pronounced as it is written; rhymes with "shear". From German: Schmiere: "grease", or "bribe".

8. "Pimentón" is simply Spanish paprika.

9. And, contrary to popular Grammar Nazi-beliefs (Do Grammar Nazis "goose step", "goosestep", or "goose-step"?), "supposably" is an actual word. It is the adverbial form of the adjective "supposable".

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/supposable?s=t

So, it appears that Miss Chanandler Bong owes Joey Tribbiani an apology. Supposably.

No comments:

Post a Comment