Saturday, August 27, 2016

homeskillet


"Jackie Wilson said... 
it was 'berry petite'?!?"



(No official web-site.)


Place: homeskillet
Location: 1001 Market Street (on the corner of 6th Street); phonicular contact: (415) 552-5509
Hours: open at 7:30am every day of the week
Meal: seasonal berry hotcakes; a side of hashbrowns; and a mugga Equator Coffees & Teas (Light Roast) El Salvador Finca Himalaya Honey 

https://store.equatorcoffees.com/coffees/






(This Wednesday, August 31st, is the 71st birthday of Sir George Ivan[1]

Today's EweToobular musical introlude[2] is simply in celebration of that fac', Jack(ie)!)


I went back to homeskillet (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, November 29th, 2015) for breakfast this morning. This place is just a half-block (I don't know if that is an optimistic or pessimistic estimate) up the road (which, in this case, would be 6th Street) from Dottie's True blue café. While there was already a sizable line around the corner (and, in this case, that would be the corner of Stevenson Street) waiting to get into Dottie's True blue café, I was the first and only customer in line when homeskillet opened this morning. I also ended up being the only person to sit down and eat the whole time I was there; there were several people that took Coffee and food "to go", though.




I was a little bit disappointed in this dish. Now just because they had "seasonal berry" listed in the singularity, I still figured that they meant "berries", as in a "variety of (seasonal) berries". However, there were just blackberries[3] (and not really that many to boot... well, if you are the kinda person that gets your kicks from booting berries, I suppose [I hear this is how that sicko Jerome Monroe Smucker got started]) on top of the two (medium-sized) pancakes. I was looking forward to there being a few different types of berries, at least. All in all, the pancakes were okay (but even I can make pancakes at home... well, I haven't ever really made any pancakes from scratch [or pancake batter even], but I suppose that I could if I wanted... maybe). Perhaps blackberries are the only berries[4] that are "in season" right now...

Pancakes AND hashbrowns, Brian?! What gives? Well, I am currently on the new Meso Diet (I am a little more culturally advanced than those idiots on the Paleo Diet)... because you can never get enough carbohydrates.

For condimentary supplementation, homeskillet offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, Louisiana's Pure Crystal® Hot Sauce; and Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce. Even though that is a pretty decent selection, I still used some (well, a lot, really) of my own Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the hashbrowns.

Luckily, homeskillet has many other good ideas yet to check out (for both stupid vegetarian-types and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh). Ferinstance: shroom florentine (English muffin, mushroom & spinach, poached farm fresh eggs, Hollandaise [like a lot of places now-a-days, homeskillet has posted the names of their menu items and descriptions in the minuscule ~ however, I felt it necessary to majuscule both "English" and "Hollandaise"]); veggie cheese scramble (green bell peppers, mushroom, onion, spinach, Jack-Cheddar cheese [again, they minisculed the name/names of the cheeses, but I took it upon myself to majuscule them again]; served with fresh hashbrowns or balsamic greens & choice of toast); as well as several omelets or a green tortilla burrito (choice of meat: chicken apple sausage, apple smoked bacon, pork chorizo, ground beef, or tofu; spinach tortilla burrito stuffed with Jack-Cheddar cheese, eggs, black beans, green bell peppers, onions, sour cream, salsa; served w/ hashbrowns or balsamic greens).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
seasonal (just) blackberry hotcakes ~ 6.0 (this is figuring in the good side of hashbrowns, too);
Equator Coffees & Teas 
El Salvador Finca Himalaya Honey ~ 6.9

___________________

1. Sure. The British Queen-person can confer a Sirhoodsmanship* on ol' George Ivan, but she can't see fit to make August 31st a National Bank Holiday?!

*(I am not sure if the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire grade of "Officer of the Order of the British Empire" is recognized as a "Knight" or knot.)

2. Citation required.

(Okay, so I made up another portmanteau ~ and I don't even own an overcoat.)

3. And what have we learned many times before from reading this silly li'l 'blog-thing? "Blackberries" are not botanically a berry.

4. See footnote #3 above.

No comments:

Post a Comment