Saturday, March 4, 2017

Chloe♥s Cafe


"¡Hoy tú, tamales yo!"[1]

or 

Another Mr. XV Pay-It-Forward 
Memorial Weekend



(No official web-site.)


Place: Chloes Cafe
Location: 1399 Church Street (on the corner of 26th Street); phonicular contact: (415) 648-4116
Hours: open 8:00am every day of the week
Meal: "Garden Scramble" (they added the inverted commas, Mr. Marx) ~ two scrambled eggs (which would be the "Scramble" part of the name) with "the vile weed", dill, tomato, red onion, carrot, ~ (all of which would make up the "Garden" part of the name, I suppose) ~ and a choice of cheese (Jarlsberg, Cheddar, cream cheese [which should never be chosen for any "Scramble" or omelette dish, if you ask me], or Feta), served with a cup of fruit or home fries and toast; and a large glassa grapefruit juice





(The first of today's EweToobular juxtaselections should be very obvious from the title and one of the ingredients in today's "Garden Scramble". It is a well know fact that Marcus Mumford really hates tomatoes...

The second of the two songs/videos is just a progression (well, live version) following the first song from the album it is on. Consider it a "palate-cleanser" for the nasty taste left by "the vile weed". If you ask me, I would much rather have thistles in my "Garden Scramble" than "the vile weed", anyway... any day!)


I used to have Chloes Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 8th, 2016) in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, but DFA'd them a few years back due to the distance getting over there (and back, naturally); plus, there are really not that many choices available for stupid vegetarians. What they do offer is always good, though.

I was originally thinking of sitting outside for a change this morning. As I was the first idiot to arrive (about twenty minutes before they had opened), I would have had my choice of seats inside or outside. However, after standing around in the Sun for about five minutes, the d*mn-ol' clouds came in and there was a very light rain coming down ("Here's another fine mist you've gotten me into, Stanley!") and I decided that it was best just to eat inside. This turned out to be a very good decision, as about fifteen minutes into eating my breakfast, the rain started coming down much harder ~ not exactly a downpour, but definitely too much wetness to be sitting outside comfortably.

Unlike most other times that I had eaten there, 
Chloes Cafe only completely filled up after about one half-hour and there was no line waiting outside for a change. If you have ever seen how small the inside restaurant seating-space is, you would know this was very unusual.





For my cheesy comestibles choice, I went with the Feta, of course, Mr. Wensleydale. (Now, if I had really wanted to ruin this "Scramble", I would have opted for the awful choice of cream cheese; which is probably the "cheese of choice" for those kind of people that actually like "the vile weed".) I know I shoulda-mighta-coulda ordered this without "the vile weed", but I figured (correctly) that the Feta, dill, etc. (plus any hot sauce I would use on top) would counter-balance the "the vile weed" vileness. I suppose it could still have been considered a "Garden Scramble" with just dill, tomato, red onion, and carrot in it, but who am I to question which seasonal vegetables might be available from Chloes "Garden"? Luckily, there was not an inordinate (or "there was an ordinate"?) amount of "the vile weed" in the "Scramble" mess; and those which were in it, were small enough pieces, at least. This turned out to be not that different from the "Special (Garden) Scramble" that I had on my last visit there (just substitute the d*mn "the vile weed" with spinach [Please!] and the dill with cilantro).

I optioned for the homefries as my side-choice, not only because their version are very good, but because any fool (even this fool) knows that homefries >>>>>>  a cuppa fruit any day!

Chloes Cafe has just Tapatío® Salsa Picante 
Hot Sauce on the tables for condimentary supplementation. I used some of my own 
Old St. Augustine Snake Bite Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of the "Scramble" (and especially in those places where I could see any of "the vile weed" peeking out its ugly green mug) and some Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the pile o' potatoes.

I had skipped any Coffee with the breakfast meal because I know that I have a lot of Coffee at home that I am trying to make a dent in. (Have you ever tried denting a bag of Coffee?) To enjoy while typing (keyboarding, whatever) up today's 'blog-entry, I brewed me uppa (or, more correctly, dripped me downa) a cuppa Bettys Java Kalibaru Single Origin Coffee (Thanks, Greg & Cindy! [these two are in no way related to the above hot sauce-gifters]). I do not think that I have ever had this particular blend from Bettys before. Needless to say, it was another very good Coffee output from a truly great British Tea Room joint. (See, when it comes to boiling anything, 
the British are masters at it.)

https://www.bettys.co.uk/java-kalibaru-single-origin-coffee


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
"Garden Scramble" ~ 6.5 (no GBS Rating points were deducted for the inclusion of "the vile weed"; I would probably have deducted 0.1 points, but then added 0.2 points for the Feta choice, so I figured it was not really necessary);
Bettys Java Kalibaru Single Origin Coffee ~ 7.3

___________________

1. ¿Qué?

(Interestingly enough, this article was from exactly six years ago today.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06lives-t.html?_r=1

I absolutely love that story. It gets me every time. 

So, don't be a tire iron, be a tamale... and this weekend (or whenever the feeling takes you) pay-it-forward... 
or bugger off!

No comments:

Post a Comment