Sunday, May 14, 2017

Cafe GoLo


There was nuthin' crooked 'bout this breakfast!



(No official web-site thing.)


Place: Cafe GoLo ~ Boutique Cafe

Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street[1]); 
phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656

Hours: open every day of the week at 8:00am

Meal: Florentine Taters ~ country potatoes scrambled with spinach, sautéed onion, "the vile weed", mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese, with one over-medium egg laid (that is "placed"; I don't think they have any actual chickens ovulating in their kitchen) on top; a mixed fruit tart for breakfastary openers (I made sure to get a pear-apple tart and a sweet potato tart to Go(Lo), too); and a glassa orange juice





So, I decided to Go(Lo) back to Cafe GoLo ~ 
Boutique Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, January 21st, 2017) for breakfast again this morning. There was no sign of Miss PeeBee there this morning, but I did say "Hello!" to Jay (though, I did manage to refrain from bringing up the sore subject of exactly when Grits might finally be opening; at this point, I think there is a better chance of the 49ers facing the Brownies in the Super Bowl next year than Grits opening any time soon in the near ~ or far ~ future).



Much like yesterday's predecided choice of meal, I knew well in advance that I would be ordering this meal. (I just had the GoLo Ranchero on my last visit earlier in the year, or, otherwise, I would have ordered that again.) This happened to be the first meal that I had ever ordered when I "discovered" Cafe GoLo about five years aGo(Lo) now; however, they used to call it "Veggie" Tater Scramble (and I very am happy for this name change nel modo di Firenze, Ms. Nightingale). I had originally enjoyed this dish so much so that I made myself an insane annotation to return again some day soon; that "some day" turned out to be exactly a month later that year and I have been returning again and again and again ever since. What makes this particularly "special" is that they use both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes in the scramble mixture. Even with "the vile weed" as an ingredient in it (and, yes, I could have requested them to omit "the vile weed", but would you have told Michelangelo to tell Mona Lisa to try smiling just a bit more for her sitting?!), this is still a great tasting dish!

For condimentary supplements, Cafe GoLo has at least Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and a few other hot sauces. I used some of my own Dat'l Do-it® Zesty Chipotle Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on one half of the potato mess and Lucky Dog Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian! [There is just about one dosage left in the bottle; however, this does not mean that anyone should think about sending me three-to-five replacement hot sauces when it is used up!]) on the other half of the potato pile.


Up next (and hopefully a few different places):

Whatever breakfastary outlets might be available while vacationing next week in Wareham, Massachusetts (or on Cape Cod, even).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Florentine Taters ~ 7.1;
mixed fruit tart ~ 7.0

___________________

1. I wonder if they had initially found a different location along Lombard Street at the corner of Hyde, Lyon, or Polk Streets, if they would have called the place "Cafe HyLo", "Cafe LyLo", or "Cafe PoLo", Marco.

No comments:

Post a Comment