Sunday, May 7, 2017

Eats




(Still no official web-site.)


Place: Eats

Location: 50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue); phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000

Hours: open for breakfast every day of the week at 8:00am

Meal: Homemade (well, Restaurant-made) Waffle Berries & Crème (v) ~ berries, bananas, honey butter, powdered sugar, whip [ sic ] cream; a side of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes (because no trip to Eats should be made without some of these); and a glassa Power C ~ Orange Grapefruit Pineapple





(There is/are no EweToobular juxtaselections for today's music. I just like this song[1] and it's been rollin' 'round my head for a few days now.

"But why would you provide two versions of the same song, Brian?" Hey! Do I ask you how to present your d*mn 'blog-stuff?!

Nah. Actually, even though Kris Kristofferson [and that is his actual birth-name, Kristoffer Kristofferson; I suppose his parents wanted to make sure he didn't forget his name] wrote the song ~ much like Jimi Hendrix "owns" the little Robbie Zimmerman-penned song "All Along the Watchtower" ~ Janis really "owns" this song.)


I went back to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, January 15th, 2017) for breakfast this morning.

I have eaten there so many times now that there are only a few other ideas still left for me to try: 

Kale Quinoa Salad ~ cucumbers, ricotta salata, carrots, radish, arugula, cranberries, walnuts, garbanzos, tahini vinaigrette (I would probably have them add a poached egg or two to the top to make it more of a breakfast meal)

or 

Huevos Rancheros (v)  ~ fresh tomato salsa, beans, over easy eggs, pepperjack, avocado, sour cream (and, for those of you that do partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh, this can have either pulled pork, bacon, or chicken added to it).




This came as two medium-sized waffles. You can order a half-order, but why would you?! This was made with only two botanical berries: blueberries and bananas; there were also some of those non-botanical berries, strawberries, on top. I think they may have stylised the whipped (or "whip") cream as "Crème" in the name of the dish to signify "Crème Chantilly". (Well, that is my best guess and I'm sticking with it until proven wrong.)

This morning, there were five (5!) cloves of roasted garlic in with the potatoes (for which I am adding an additional 0.01 Glen Bacon Scale point per clove). I even took some of the rosemary sprigs that were in the potatoes and placed them on top of the waffle, too; I discovered that rosemary really goes nicely with both strawberries and bananas ~ trust me, I'm a 'blogger (well, I play one on the Intro-Net)!

For condimentary supplements, Eats has a pretty decent array of hot sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original), and El Yucateco® (three types: Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero ~ Red; Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero ~ Green; and XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero). With such a good selection, I probably shouldn't have brought any of my own hot sauces, but I really do have so very (way too) many bottles to use up. Hence, I used some of my own Punch Drunk Chocolate Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) on half of the potatoes and some Dat'l Do-it® Spicy Jalapeno Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the other half.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

It is not very often that you see (or hear, then see) any of the Wild Parrots of San Francisco in this nape of the forest, but I did see (well, heard first, then looked up to see) a small pandemonium of eight flying overhead (heading East) while I was waiting on the corner for the restaurant to open this morning. I do not know if they have an actual roost anywhere in the Richmond nearby, though.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Homemade (well, Restaurant-made) Waffle Berries & Crème (v) ~ 6.8;
Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.65;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. To me, this is truly an iconic Americana Song. 

It transcends any specific music genre: it can be sung as Rock-and/or-Roll, Country-and/or-Western, Blues, Folk, or You-Name-It. Everyone from Gordon Lightfoot (who actually recorded his version before both Kris and Janis did) to the Grateful Dead to Johnny Cash to P!nk to Jennifer Love Hewitt (yes, Jennifer Love Hewitt ~ check out her acoustic version; it really isn't bad) has sung their takes on it.

And here's a little-known music secret, the song was written about a real person that Kris Kristofferson once knew*. His name was "Robert McGee". Why else is the title "Me and Bobby McGee" and not "Me and Bobbie McGee"? This was probably the first true Gay Love Song ever written. And if you don't believe me on this, just look it up yerd*mnself on the World Wild Webs!

There are some great lines from the song:

(from the classic opening line)

"Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin' for the trains
Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans..." 

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free..."

and 

"Well I'd trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday..."

*(Okay. So maybe I made that story up. But it really is not about Janis Joplin either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment