Saturday, September 15, 2018

LaLe




http://www.lalesf.com


Place: LaLe

Location:  731 Irving Street 
(between 8th and 9th Avenues)

Hours: breakfast and/or "Brunch" are served daily at 8:00am

Meal: Napa (Scramble) ~ goat cheese, mushrooms, bacon (which I nixed, Santa), bell peppers, served with home style potatoes and housemade (well, LaLe-made) English muffin; to drink with the meal, a glassa Homemade (again, LaLe-made) Strawberry Lemonade; and, afterward (to enjoy whilst saunterin' around San Francisco Botanical Garden), a mighty fine cuppa Snowbird Coffee - Zatara (à la méthode pour-over)

http://snowbirdcoffee.com/




(There is/are no EweToobular juxtaselections here [of which I am aware]; I was just thinking about this song while wandering around San Francisco Botanical Garden. [Who knew Dan Fogelberg was a Peter Pan fan?])


Next up on the September work-out of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation: LaLe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, April 22nd, 2018). 

Even after several visits to this new-ish restaurant, there are still a few other good ideas yet for me to try:

Cairo (Scramble) ~ lamb (naaaaaa!), peppers, tomatoes, onions, Feta cheese (this will probably be my choice on my next visit);

Ciudad de México (Scramble) ~ chorizo (which would be ochenta-y-seis-ed), green onions, mushrooms, guacamole, sour cream, cheese;

Toronto (Benediction) ~ ham (No thanks, ya hoser!), grilled tomato, spinach;

or

Fennel Cabbage Salad ~ green and purple cabbage, fresh fennel, apples, arugula (where I would probably have them add a poached egg or two on top of the pile of rabbit-food to make it a bit more breakfastarily-sound).




This was a decent-enough scramble-mess, but just not quite as great as some of the other dishes that I have had at this restaurant already. It was made with both green and red bell peppers and the goat cheese made for a very nice creamy, melty addition.

LaLe offers for condimentary supplementation just Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some of my own hot sauces, anyway; a little (wellll, a lot; ooops! I accidentally went a little heavy-handed with it because the d*rn thing poured-out too fast on me; luckily it did not "exceed the limit") Dat'l Do-it® Scorching Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the scramble-mess and some Dragon Breath Garlic Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Mom!) on the potatoes, and a lotta grinds from my grains of paradise grinder all over both. (And especially) plus, LaLe offers their own very good, homemade (whatever) berry jam and orange marmalade, Lady; I made sure to use a heaping dollop of each on the two slices of English muffin.

(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

As has been my current rubric for the past several visits to LaLe ~ either beforehand or afterfoot ~ I made sure to stop by Snowbird Coffee for a really good cuppa. 

(and a bit exciting) Strange San Francisco Botanical Garden[1] Interlude


[2]

If'n ya gots two hours or so to kill, this is a great place for a premeditated double-hora homicide. (Don't do the "crime", if you ain't got the time, though.) 

This morning, I had purposefully parked along Martin Luther King Jr. Drive directly across the street from the Main Gate of San Francisco Botanical Garden with the intention of galumphing throughout the gardens after breakfast while sipping away at my cuppa from Snowbird Coffee (the Coffee lasted about a half-hour only, though).





Go for the flora...

I saw (and touched and smelled) Lavender (Lavandula ~ at least two different species), Sage (Salvia ~ also, at least two different types), Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ~ probably two-to-three different cultivars); and Thyme (Thymus vulgaris). (Sorry, I did not espy any Parsley [Petroselinum crispum], though, Mr. Simon and/or Mr. Garfinkle). I was smart enough not to touch (or attempt to smell) any of the cacti in the Succulent Garden (however, the prickly pears were almost ripe and tempting).



(This tiny little guy [or girl] came right down to me while I was in the Garden of Fragrance.)


("You lookin' at me?!")


... and stay for the (avi)fauna.

Now, I really hit the jackpot with all the variety of Boids this morning (mainly because there were many bushes in which to see two or more around the gardens). There were: Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus - one juvenile[?]); Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis ~ also, just one [another] juvenile[?]; that would be him/her in the photo directly above this paragraph); California Scrub Jays (Aphelocoma californica ~ I think I counted at least five different ones around the gardens); Robins (Turdus migratorius ~ way too many to count); Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans ~ just the one in the second photo above); Little Brown Birds (Volucres minus brunneis ~ again, way too many to count); Steller's Jays (Cyanocitta stelleri ~ at least four, but I heard many, many more; there was one pretending that he was a Red-tailed Hawk and another thinking that he was Mr. Drinky Crow); Canada Geese (Branta canadensis ~ several, as in a whole lotta several); Ducks (of the plain ol' Mallard variety - Anas platyrhynchos ~ just a few; the Geese have usurped a lot of the good pond spaces); Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana ~ just one female, I believe; she was way too fast for me to even think about getting her photo); and also some kinda waterbird, possibly a Kingfisher (Alcedinidae), which I came upon at the small pond/reservoir in the California Native Garden and startled him before I could even get an identifying shot of him.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Napa (Scramble) ~ 6.5;
homemade (whatever) berry jam and orange marmalade ~ 7.2;
Snowbird Coffee - Zatara ~ 7.4;
San Francisco Botanical Garden and all its great flora and (avi)fauna stuff ~ 8.0 (and the price is always right for local San Franciscans ~ at zero dollars, it just makes no sense not to check this place out[3])

___________________

1. https://www.sfbotanicalgarden.org/

2. This is such a cool story.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/spanish-monastery-stones

3. Okay, so I stole... er... borrowed that line from Billy Bradford, but I am completely giving him full credit here and also hoping to promote his charitable activities. This guy really has no sense of business, just a great sense of civic pride.

https://www.facebook.com/badbusinessmodelbikes/



1 comment: