Sunday, September 16, 2018

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


The more "Things Change", the more 
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) stay the same... in my belly!



https://cliffhouse.com/bistro/


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Location:  1090 Point Lobos 
(at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach)

Hours:  open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am

Meal: Classic Eggs Benedict ~ poached eggs, Canadian bacon (No way, ya hoser!), toasted English muffin, Hollandaise sauce, served with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes; to drink, a (Time Honored Tradition) Ramos Fizz[1] ~ Gordon's gin | sweet & sour | egg whites | cream | orange flower water (it had eggs and orange [well, of a sort] in it, so that sounds breakfastary enough to me); and, of course, la raison d'aller (encore et encore) ~ a basket of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), where there were two hot, fresh outta the oven (I was asked ~ twice ~ if I would like more; I politely declined, but will always go back for more)



(Ha! This is now being served with a paper straw.)


And, as has been the norm, Mr. Peterson, to close-out the September work-out of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation I made a return trip to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, April 29th, 2018). 




The fog had lifted finally from yesterday afternoon and the coast was clear (well, the window coulda been a bit cleaner) for a nice view of Seal Rocks from my seat along the window-wall.




They were nice enough to ask me if I would like to substitute spinach for the dead, decaying piggy-flesh from Canadialand; so, I suppose this could be called a "Classic Eggs Florentine" (which they do not list on their menu, but seemed to have no problem making for me). "Classic" or not, it was a very good rendition of an Eggs Benedict dish (and much better than I could ever think about making myself at home... yeah, right, if a Hollandaise sauce don't come prefabricated in a can, I am not attempting to make it, anyway). As always, I liked the side of roasted potatoes, too.

Today's side of fruits included: cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon, red grapes, and one strawberry.

the Bistro Restaurant only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce for use as a condimentary supplement. I used some of my own Dat'l Do-it® Spicy Jalapeno Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of both of the poached eggs (I made sure to taste the Hollandaise sauce first before messing with it any; it had a nice flavour, but the jalapeño sauce really added to it still) and some Emperor's Revenge Teriyaki Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Mom!) all over the potatoes. Again, I grounded-up some grains of paradise all over the Benedict dish and the potatoes.




Hollywoodland Spotlight of the Day

Born Dominic Felix Amici, Don Ameche (whose autographed photograph was just over my left shoulder) gained initial fame as a moving-film leading man in the 1930's and 1940's. Later generations (Baby Boomers to Gen X-ers) will recognize him as one of the nasty Duke Brothers in "Trading Places" and also as one of the rejuvinated septuagenarians/octogenarians in "Cocoon" (for which he won the Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in 1985); however, I do not think many people might remember him from the basically forgettable sequel "Cocoon: the Return". There is a truly exceptional role he had in a little-seen 1988 movie called "Things Change"; if you have never seen this movie, I highly recommend it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000747/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Classic Eggs Benedict/Florentine ~ 6.5;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.22

___________________

1. This bit of cock-tail history directly stolen... er... borrowed from our friends at WikipediA (who knows where they stole... er... borrowed it from, though):

Henry C. Ramos invented the Ramos Gin Fizz in 1888 at his bar, the Imperial Cabinet Saloon on Gravier Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. It was originally called a "New Orleans Fizz", and is one of the city's most famous cocktails. Before Prohibition, the drink's popularity and exceptionally long 12-minute mixing time had over 20 bartenders working at the Imperial at once making nothing but the Ramos Gin Fizz - and still struggling to keep up with demand. During the carnival of 1915, 32 staff members were on at once, just to shake the drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment