Saturday, September 29, 2018

Magic Flute (Garden) Ristorante




http://www.magicfluteristorante.com/


Place: Magic Flute (Garden) Ristorante

Location:  3673 Sacramento Street 
(between Locust and Spruce Streets)

Hours: open Monday thru Friday 11:00am for "Weekday Brunch", Saturday and Sunday 10:00am for "Brunch"[1]

Meal: Garden (Ristorante) Omelet ~ eggs (natch'), zucchini (and also, not listed on the menu, summer squash), tomatoes, spinach, Mozzarella cheese served with seasonal fruit, potatoes; a starter order of House Marinated (well, Ristorante-Marinated) Olives; and a cuppa (and two refillas ~ 'cause it is National Coffee Day, after all) Nova Rosti - "100% Arabica"

http://novarosti.com/




(he-he-he!)


I wanted to revisit some restaurants that I have not been to in a while, so I went back to Magic Flute (Garden) Ristorante (see previous 'blog-entry from Saturday, November 5th, 2011). This made for only the third time that I have ever eaten there in my thirty-plus years of living in San Francisco. This place is so "Old School Brunch" that it could easily be the pedagogy of "Brunches".




I had the entire back (Garden) Ristorante patio seating area all to myself for most of the meal. It is a huge backyard space and no one else thought to take advantage of the (somewhat) break in the foggy weather. It was even comfortable enough for me to remove my outer sweatshirt.

There really is not a lot of variety on their "Brunch" menu for stupid vegetarian-types (which might be a factor in my not having returned there in seven years). Other than what I ordered today and on my previous "Brunch", there really is only Brioche French Toast (fresh whipped cream, fresh seasonal fruit, maple syrup), Presidio Scramble (eggs [natch'], Brie‏ cheese, mushrooms, bacon [which I would have omitted], served with seasonal fruit, potatoes), or Eggs Florentine. My waiter/server-person guy did tell me that they offer two additional/special versions of Hollandaise sauce: a tarragon and a sun-dried tomato; both of which sound pretty interesting/tasty and might warrant a return venture (in less than another seven years, possibly).




As this place is traditionally "Old School Brunch", the omelette was perfectly executed and very good. I also liked the mélange of zucchini, summer squash, and spinach. Initially, my thought was that I would have liked to have seen more potatoes on the plate, but, luckily, there was plenty enough for my appetite with the starter order of olives

This was a very nice mixture of olives, too: green, black, and (I am very happy to note, heavy on the) Kalamata. I even used some of the marinating oil drizzled on top of both the omelette and potatoes.

The side of fruits were slices of cantaloupe, watermelon, and orange.

The only hot sauce I noticed that Magic Flute (Garden) Ristorante has for a condimentary supplement was Frank's® RedHot® Original. I used some of my own Pepper Palace Chocolate Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy! [at least I think they gave me that bottle]) on the potatoes and a little drizzle of Golden Pagoda Jalapeño Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the omelette. I also grinded-up a good amount of grains of paradise on everything (including the fruits).

(not so) Strange Coffee Interlude

Even though I already had two cuppas at home before heading out for "Brunch", in celebration of National Coffee Day (and no one even sent me a card!), I figured I would order some more Coffee with the meal. As luck would have it, the Coffee they serve is from a local roastery out of San Rafael, which I had never tried. I am not exactly sure which specific roast/blend they had; the best answer I could get out of one of the other waiter/server-person guys was that it was "100% Arabica". Whichever roast/blend it was, I liked it well-enough to drink three cuppas. And, yes, the Coffee went perfectly with the olives-appetizer.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Garden (Ristorante) Omelet ~ 6.7;
Nova Rosti - "100% Arabica" (whichever roast/blend it might have been) ~ 7.0

___________________

1. Just where the h*ck did this st*pid term originate, anyway?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-birth-of-brunch-where-did-this-meal-come-from-anyway-164187758/

So, let me get this straight... this late-breakfastary fashion came from the geniuses of "British Cuisine"? Okay, makes sense to me... but I used to be in "Military Intelligence".

No comments:

Post a Comment